Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:55 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times

Advertisements

Kind of hard to tell, but I like the second one from what I can see. The first one, I agree. It's awkward looking. Certainly different than your average neo-eclectic house, but that's what I'd call it simply because it doesn't seem to fit into any one "school" and just borrows from several.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
The first one is a faux French Chateau, NOT Prairie and the second one doesn't look very Prairie Style to me either, just "contemporary".

I still haven't seen a modern "Prairie Style" home that really lives up to the originals. You'd think it would be easy because original Prairie homes look very modern and "cutting edge" even today... but the proportions of modern homes are just completely different and they usually end up being rambling distorted copies, like most faux historic architecture.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:42 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,699,244 times
That first one is a pretty awful representation of whatever style it is supposed to be. Can't really see the second one to form an opinion.

It's a shame though. All that money and they couldn't find an architect who knows how to design a decent looking house? They should have just gone with a current style.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Pnl;y the second one is prairie style the other one is simply what I called a behemoth (as I said although I posted the pictures int he reverse order which seems to be confusing some people, did you really think anyone posting in the architecture forum woudl think the behemoth is prairie style?). The second one is not that huge, it is skinny and deep.

Sorry the pictures are not that great, I took them with my phone and we drove past.

Interesting comment on the first one, that someone could have bought a real mansion and moved it. By my definitions, that is a real mansion. It is big enough to house 500 people by California standards and it is made of top quality materials, on a sizable lot. The design may be ick, or maybe it is just unique, but that does not make it a non-mansion. This house is certainly well made. It is steel framed, the stone is real, I think the floors are all concrete (not positive, but that is a vague memory), the materials are reportedly all top quality stone, wood, etc. it is certainly bigger than any other mansion in our community. I am not sure why it woudl nto be considered a mansion (although I have taken to calling it the behemoth).

To me a mansion is just a really really big house, usually made of high quality materials/construciton. A McMansion is a house made to create the appearance it is really big and fancy when it is not.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:15 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Pnl;y the second one is prairie style the other one is simply what I called a behemoth (as I said although I posted the pictures int he reverse order which seems to be confusing some people, did you really think anyone posting in the architecture forum woudl think the behemoth is prairie style?). The second one is not that huge, it is skinny and deep.

Sorry the pictures are not that great, I took them with my phone and we drove past.

Interesting comment on the first one, that someone could have bought a real mansion and moved it. By my definitions, that is a real mansion. It is big enough to house 500 people by California standards and it is made of top quality materials, on a sizable lot. The design may be ick, or maybe it is just unique, but that does not make it a non-mansion. This house is certainly well made. It is steel framed, the stone is real, I think the floors are all concrete (not positive, but that is a vague memory), the materials are reportedly all top quality stone, wood, etc. it is certainly bigger than any other mansion in our community. I am not sure why it woudl nto be considered a mansion (although I have taken to calling it the behemoth).

To me a mansion is just a really really big house, usually made of high quality materials/construciton. A McMansion is a house made to create the appearance it is really big and fancy when it is not.
I agree that is it a mansion. I meant real mansion in the same way you might say 'why don't you play a real sport', indicating that it is missing something and not as good as __. Essentially, missing the breathtaking grandeur and ornament which I would say is the essence of mansion.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I agree that is it a mansion. I meant real mansion in the same way you might say 'why don't you play a real sport', indicating that it is missing something and not as good as __. Essentially, missing the breathtaking grandeur and ornament which I would say is the essence of mansion.
Yes. I guess it is the kind of place the people see and go "WTF??" instead of "OOOHHHHH"

I think I kind of liked it just because it is different, not typical modern mish mash junk, but I agree the chimneys along the front are terrible and the overall look is unfinished.

It is intersting that it seems to be deisgned to look smaller than it really is rather than designed to look bigger than it really is like most new houses. Maybe that is because if it looked like its true size, it would look like hospital or a school.

I think I woudl be embarassed to live in it. or at least to have people come there. FIrst it is just plain ridiculous and second it is simply not tasteful or elegant given what they spent on it.

Ok I am leaning towards, I hate it.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Yes. I guess it is the kind of place the people see and go "WTF??" instead of "OOOHHHHH"

I think I kind of liked it just because it is different, not typical modern mish mash junk, but I agree the chimneys along the front are terrible and the overall look is unfinished.

It is intersting that it seems to be deisgned to look smaller than it really is rather than designed to look bigger than it really is like most new houses. Maybe that is because if it looked like its true size, it would look like hospital or a school.

I think I woudl be embarassed to live in it. or at least to have people come there. First it is just plain ridiculous and second it is simply not tasteful or elegant given what they spent on it.

Ok I am leaning towards, I hate it.
I wouldn't be embarrassed to live in it, like I said it puts my house to shame. I think it has a good overall shape, I kind of like the chimneys, but I would do plenty of additional work on it, starting with the corners, windows, and eves.

I would be completely embarrassed to tell anyone how much i spent on it however. lol

id always reply "oh a couple of bucks here, a couple there, still haven't added it all up yet"

Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I wouldn't be embarrassed to live in it, like I said it puts my house to shame. I think it has a good overall shape, I kind of like the chimneys, but I would do plenty of additional work on it, starting with the corners, windows, and eves.

I would be completely embarrassed to tell anyone how much i spent on it however. lol

id always reply "oh a couple of bucks here, a couple there, still haven't added it all up yet"
How would you explain having to use a Sony Talkabout to locate your spouse? "Oh my wife just finished changing and she is on here way down to the living room. It will take her 15 minutes to walk here though." Of course she can take one of the three elevators and save some time.

The thing is 28,000 square feet. It sits on five lots, and it has a suite for the dog that is bigger than many people's homes.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
How would you explain having to use a Sony Talkabout to locate your spouse? "Oh my wife just finished changing and she is on here way down to the living room. It will take her 15 minutes to walk here though." Of course she can take one of the three elevators and save some time.

The thing is 28,000 square feet. It sits on five lots, and it has a suite for the dog that is bigger than many people's homes.
I'd use every inch (well maybe every foot). I have always dreamed about sealing off the kids in their own wing

heck, downton abbey is 120,000 square feet and id move in tomorrow had I the money. Most of a house that size is guest bedrooms anyways.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,089,114 times
Quote:
Someone somewhere mentioned about modern prairie style houses.
Seems like #1 is much larger than what I first thought, especially after your description.

I can clearly say that although it may be constructed well, with quality materials (as described), and of substantial size -- personally, I do not prefer the look. I think it looks "busy" and certain architectural features seem to clash. For example, the arched windows with the inlay stone and keystones above the windows look like giant square eyelashes. The chimneys in front look like castles (or castellate?) at the top (can't tell what the ridges are -- decorative stonework?). The combination of stucco, decorative stonework and shapes, and the cantilevered dark wood beams look a little like Southwest Adobe-style. And the front door lacks presence -- 2 separate doors and two skinny windows flanking it instead of sidelights?

It seems like the windows/lighting were not well thought out. Also, are those fake mutins in the windows?

The Greek columns on the 2d floor look really out of place.

I do like the roof, including the color.

I saw a house/mansion similar to this in Washington, D.C. -- the home of a wealthy industrialist-philanthropist. Similar roof, but the house was brick with rectangle windows and trimmed in black. It was much "simpler" in design but very elegant and impressive.

Wasn't sure about the 2d one but it does look like Prairie-style but with a modern flair. I wasn't sure about Prairie Houses so I found this site (scroll down a bit):

Arts & Crafts Architecture | Homeowner Guide | Lincoln, Nebraska Design/Build Kitchens, Baths, Additions and Home Remodeling

I do like the 2d one, at least what I can see in the pic. Just not sure if the size of the house fits the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum