Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:11 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

Huge, excessive wasteful houses turn me off. I do hate the first house. I don't know what that thing is over the front door--a balcony? Do they stand there and pour stuff on unwelcome guests standing below?

That amount of money is a total waste too.

If I were to have a mansion I would buy one of the old mansions that sits along the New England coast. They are grand and stately, not silly looking like that thing. They only cost around 6 million. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Huge, excessive wasteful houses turn me off. I do hate the first house. I don't know what that thing is over the front door--a balcony? Do they stand there and pour stuff on unwelcome guests standing below?

If I were to have a mansion I would buy one of the old mansions that sits along the New England coast. They are grand and stately, not silly looking like that thing. They only cost around 6 million. lol
There are some fabulous mansions along the bluffs of lake Erie in Bratnahl Ohio (near Cleveland). For a time, everyone who was anyone had a place there. It was a stop over on the way west.

http://www.trulia.com/property/10159...44108#photo-22 Only 3 million!

Last edited by Coldjensens; 03-20-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

The mansions on the new england coast are not huge and excessively wasteful?

Old 03-20-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
The mansions on the new england coast are not huge and excessively wasteful?
Well, those old ones in Newport are but some of the large old homes along the MA coast are pretty and not too huge. In my opinion, anyway.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...157?source=web

I'd sure take this one if they gave it to me. There are some other ones on that site that are pretty nice too and they have land, are on the ocean, and most are tastefully designed and not that wasteful and excessive. Four bedrooms and a guest house would be over the top for me personally, but I can see it for some people who have a lot of money and large families or need to entertain. I'd take this first house long before I'd take that new French chateau thing with all the chimneys and it's right on the road.

There are beautiful mansions all over the country but I don't think that chateau thing is one of them.

Last edited by in_newengland; 03-20-2013 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There are some fabulous mansions along the bluffs of lake Erie in Bratnahl Ohio (near Cleveland). For a time, everyone who was anyone had a place there. It was a stop over on the way west.

9619 Lake Shore Boulevard, Bratenahl OH - Trulia Only 3 million!
I love those---the entrances, the interior wood, the setting itself. I like the interior decorating better than most of the New England mansions I posted, some of which look too trendy? to me.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:02 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

9619 Lake Shore Boulevard, Bratenahl OH - Trulia Only 3 million!
Amazing house! They showed a stunning mansion (1920s brick Arts & Crafts, some 10k+ s.f.) very similar to that in the WSJ a few weeks ago about "cheap" mansions for sale, it was spectacular looking, having the architectural integrity and detail that one can only find in a historic property- for $700k!!! And it looked like it was in great shape. In Detroit, it seemed like it was a in decent neighborhood too. It is amazing what you can get in a few of the still many nicer, intact neighborhoods in that city- since you live in the area I don't need to tell you that. Still, for a place that large and with such detailing to try to maintain/restore that wouldn't seem like such a bargain anymore.

Edit: Found it http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...681691560.html

I'm almost embarrassed to say my 1800 s.f. cottage would almost certainly go for a good bit more in this crazy market here.

The "excesses" may be similar for the new mansions and old but give me an older one designed by a classically trained architect and built by craftsmen any day. At least to appreciate and ooh and awe- new gargantuan houses do nothing for me.

Last edited by T. Damon; 03-21-2013 at 03:00 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 10:39 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Amazing house! They showed a stunning mansion (1920s brick Arts & Crafts, some 10k+ s.f.) very similar to that in the WSJ a few weeks ago about "cheap" mansions for sale, it was spectacular looking, having the architectural integrity and detail that one can only find in a historic property- for $700k!!! And it looked like it was in great shape. In Detroit, it seemed like it was a in decent neighborhood too. It is amazing what you can get in a few of the still many nicer, intact neighborhoods in that city- since you live in the area I don't need to tell you that. Still, for a place that large and with such detailing to try to maintain/restore that wouldn't seem like such a bargain anymore.

Edit: Found it The Detroit Neighborhood Built for Auto Industry Titans - WSJ.com

I'm almost embarrassed to say my 1800 s.f. cottage would almost certainly go for a good bit more in this crazy market here.

The "excesses" may be similar for the new mansions and old but give me an older one designed by a classically trained architect and built by craftsmen any day. At least to appreciate and ooh and awe- new gargantuan houses do nothing for me.
Yeah, i absolutely would live in detroit. its neighborhood which counts more than city as far as quality of life goes.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
We consiered a really beautiful mansion in the Baoston Edison neighborhood of Detroit. It was 18,000 s.f. Pewabic tile, stained glass parquet floors tige oak all over the place. Stunning. It went for just over $500K. However we have kids and living in Detroit presents some challenges in raising children that we did nto want to deal with again (schools are resolvable, but no place to play or hang out was a problem. No friends with common interest was another.).

THere are reasons Detroit homes are so cheap. It is livable, but maybe not quite the bargain it appears. Palmer has its own private security. That is why it is still nice, but you have to pay for it. The City offers almost no services (police fire garbage pick up and the like are all spoitty at best). Property taxes are pretty high and they have a City income tax on residents. While there are nice nieghborhoods and downtwon and midtown anre nice and have a lot of super cool things, areas adjoiing all of those places are not good at all. Thus while that house in Palmer may be reaosnably secure, you cannot wander outside the neighborhood safely in certain directions. The same is true of Boston Edison. Indianve Villiage is a bit better. Still without kids, I woudl probably be living in Detroit right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum