Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 02:09 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
You are right, you did explain what it is that appeals to you. And I appreciate that.

My sister told me that she thinks that stainless appliances goes with many kitchen color schemes-even though I don't exactly agree with her.

Peace.

Cat

Yeah, basically they are color-neutral. So are white and black, but white tends to look institutional and a bit harsh against a darker wood tone, and black is often too dark for the space. I have stainless and black and it compliments the wood tones and the cabinet pulls. And the smaller black accents and surfaces receed instead of "pop," while the stainless takes on the surrounding tones. Ideally, I'd really like stainless accents/edges against wood faces that match the cabinet faces, but that's uncommon and quite expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 12:51 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
The wallpaper is hideous to me but I love the house! I have a friend in VT who owned a house with a staircase just like that. I have such a thing for staircases!

Wall paper can be removed. It's a nice house.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:01 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Keep scrolling through the pictures, though. I thought the same thing, but after awhile, there are "after" pics that are really disappointing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Wall paper can be removed. It's a nice house.
It used to be a nice house.... not only did they remove the wallpaper, they gutted the place in order
to have that modern open concept design.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 PM

6,585 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
My sister told me that she thinks that stainless appliances goes with many kitchen color schemes-even though I don't exactly agree with her.

Cat
I prefer white. I ended up with a stainless dishwasher and hate the way it looks. It always looks spotted and streaky, and I only ever touch the top plastic portion to open it. Never again.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:52 PM

6,585 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Keep scrolling through the pictures, though. I thought the same thing, but after awhile, there are "after" pics that are really disappointing.
I hadn't looked past the first 10 or so before. Such a shame! They even blocked off at least one window. Would've been adorable in period-appropriate paint etc.

To me, that's a perfect example of "why don't you just build?"

Old 03-22-2014, 07:31 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I hadn't looked past the first 10 or so before. Such a shame! They even blocked off at least one window. Would've been adorable in period-appropriate paint etc.

To me, that's a perfect example of "why don't you just build?"
Exactly! When I first saw them, the after pictures looked like a house that would be built in a new-urbanist development.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:50 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
I love HGTV and watch it all the time. I just don't understand a lot of home buyers want the "open concept" or stainless steel appliances. I understand the open concept if they have little kids and want to keep an eye on them. Ok, that make sense. But what is it about the stainless steel that appeals to people? I think it looks so cold & sterile. I can't put my magnet collection on them. Also, I heard they show fingerprints BIG TIME!!

Last year we purchased a BIG 1865 Victorian that had been empty for years. It needed A LOT of work-heating, plumbing, electric, a new kitchen, etc. etc. When we took on this project, many people were wondering how many apartments we were putting in. WHAT??!!! To me, that would be sacrilegious. But, that is what people do with these big old houses. In fact the house next door that used to be part of the same property was turned into tiny apartments.

When people realized that we weren't turning it into apartments, so many people said that they are happy we are doing this. You can watch the work being done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC01...F0RSJoysBP_ECs

Cat

What a house! I'm so glad to hear that you appreciate it as you do. and that you are restoring her to her former glory!

Since this was almost a year ago, naturally I am wondering if you have any "after" or "in progress" photos or videos.

I love that the house is filled with light!

Last edited by sheena12; 03-25-2014 at 06:02 AM..

Old 03-25-2014, 02:13 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
What a house! I'm so glad to hear that you appreciate it as you do. and that you are restoring her to her former glory!

Since this was almost a year ago, naturally I am wondering if you have any "after" or "in progress" photos or videos.

I love that the house is filled with light!

It is all right here (so far): https://www.city-data.com/forum/house...old-house.html

Cat

Old 06-03-2014, 10:37 AM

376 posts, read 598,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
A well known architect in Florida once said that people had an even stronger desire to renovate than to procreate. He was upset with second and third owners altering and destroying the original design and character of homes and buildings that he had designed in the 50's, 60's and 70's.
I don't see why some people are so upset by what other people did to the interior of their houses. These people probably had their sensibility hurt when couples started to have sex in doggy style instead of missionary. "But the old ways were so much better," they said, "they just had so much more 'character.'" It's not your house and none of your business. You may like the "character" of your 1920's home, but other people may prefer open floor plan or other alternative plans. If you don't want open floor plan, don't have it in your house. What other people have or want to have in their house, is again, none of your business. Grow up and learn to respect the choices and intelligence of others.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:14 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
I don't see why some people are so upset by what other people did to the interior of their houses. These people probably had their sensibility hurt when couples started to have sex in doggy style instead of missionary. "But the old ways were so much better," they said, "they just had so much more 'character.'" It's not your house and none of your business. You may like the "character" of your 1920's home, but other people may prefer open floor plan or other alternative plans. If you don't want open floor plan, don't have it in your house. What other people have or want to have in their house, is again, none of your business. Grow up and learn to respect the choices and intelligence of others.
Because, once an old house is modernized, the original fabric is lost forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum