Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 09:26 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times

Advertisements

One thing I wish I had had the funds to do at the time and will do in the future, is run the roof above the front porch across the addition above the garage doors. That should break up the massing of the addition a bit. and give a place to put lighting above the garage doors.Like this:

The porch has since been finished with paint and the railings on the steps are done to match the railing on the porch. I don't miss the fake, cheesy aluminum colonial columns. The front porch now matches the rear deck in color and style:

original:

First deck:

Final deck before doing the addition:

The next plan on this old house is to add on behind the addition a sun room with roof deck that has an entrance from the bedroom:

The main point of all this was to refute the blanket statement that "older is better." Not all old houses are beautiful old classics. Many are just average and not worth preserving in their original condition or layout, even though the structure and location are good. I remodeled this one becaeu after looking around at houses in my price range, I couldnt' find one that had what I wanted in my location. This one had the right location, tight price and much of what I wanted to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 06:09 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,013 times
HGTV has done more to destroy beautiful houses than anything else I can think of. They give all of these glorified contractors, who call themselves "designers", a tv show and people actually take their stupid advice. "Property Brothers" is one of the worst. Usually the places look 100x better before they "renovate". Every house they do looks the same.

Most people are just too lazy to study architectural history or interior design so they so the same ugly stuff. I just finished ripping out the new light fixtures in my house and replacing them with 1970's originals and everyone loves it. I'd like to produce a show where they go in to "updated" mid century modern houses and rip out the granite counters, strip the woodwork, put the walls back, and re-do the faux Tuscan bathrooms with pink and aqua tile.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:28 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I work in real estate and it is pretty sad when someone remodels an antique house and they get it wrong. Some people just don't have a clue and or they don't have the money and they end up taking out all the character of the house. They take out a so so kitchen and go shopping for home depot bargains. Sad.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:35 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I work in real estate and it is pretty sad when someone remodels an antique house and they get it wrong. Some people just don't have a clue and or they don't have the money and they end up taking out all the character of the house. They take out a so so kitchen and go shopping for home depot bargains. Sad.
Technically, one cannot *remodel* an "antique house" and get it "right" since remodel means to model it based on something different than it originally was. One could preserve, restore, or renovate and get it right but anything else would be a terrible shame in many cases.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:44 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
HGTV has done more to destroy beautiful houses than anything else I can think of. They give all of these glorified contractors, who call themselves "designers", a tv show and people actually take their stupid advice. "Property Brothers" is one of the worst. Usually the places look 100x better before they "renovate". Every house they do looks the same.

Most people are just too lazy to study architectural history or interior design so they so the same ugly stuff. I just finished ripping out the new light fixtures in my house and replacing them with 1970's originals and everyone loves it. I'd like to produce a show where they go in to "updated" mid century modern houses and rip out the granite counters, strip the woodwork, put the walls back, and re-do the faux Tuscan bathrooms with pink and aqua tile.
I'm a big fan of mid-century as well as homes built from the 20's -40's. I just recently put on
Property Brothers, which I haven't watched in a few years, and they are doing the exact same
designs since I last saw them. I know there are many people who like this open, tear down
concept but gosh, it's getting old, predictable, boring and not very creative.
We will be looking to buy next year and I would love to buy a smaller home that hasn't been
remuddled inside or out (except updating wiring, the roof, you know what I mean). But those
will be hard to find.
I have noticed that there a trend now for mid century furnishings (started with the tv show
Mad Men).

Old 09-01-2014, 10:00 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Check out Rehab Addict.

Last edited by Cecilia_Rose; 09-01-2014 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: Why does everything have to be painted white.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:49 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I'm a big fan of mid-century as well as homes built from the 20's -40's. I just recently put on
Property Brothers, which I haven't watched in a few years, and they are doing the exact same
designs since I last saw them. I know there are many people who like this open, tear down
We will be looking to buy next year and I would love to buy a smaller home that hasn't been
remuddled inside or out (except updating wiring, the roof, you know what I mean). But those
will be hard to find.
I have noticed that there a trend now for mid century furnishings (started with the tv show
Mad Men).
blow these walls out...give you that open floor plan you want...give you space for entertaining...modern color palette. It seems like a lot of these shows are the same thing over and over. I did see a good one early in the morning one day - it was two teams of two that went to a flea market and turned cheap/junky items into something cool on a shoe string budget. The team that sold their items for more money won. Something like that is far more interesting than seeing the same remodel designs interrupted by scripted drama.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:54 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
You simply should never put new inside old. it wont look right.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:52 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post

My kind of person! I love my sea foam green powder room!

If I ever see anything Tuscan again I'd better be in Italy.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:56 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
will be hard to find.
Mad Men).

They are indeed still doing the same thing! No change.

My twp favorite architectural times are the same as yours - 20s-40s. And mid century modern. Mid 50s was best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum