Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:37 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We wash blueberries in that sink regularly. Never had a stain. IN fact it has no stains. It also has no rust. I really do not like the semi-modern metal (stainless) sinks, they get rust after a while. The biggest problem we have with out sink and the one we had before is it is very shallow. If you turn the water on full blast it splashes out all over the kitchen. - so don't turn the water on full blast. We have a big commercial dish sink in the scullery for washing pots and things, no reason to turn the kitchen sink on full blast anyway. You also cannot put a garbage disposal in the old farmhouse sink, but that would deprive the chickens of the favorite meal of the day (plate scrapings).
This is the first farmhouse sink we've owned so it has been a learning experience. Yep, no stains, no rust. Thanks for sharing your story.

As far as a garbage disposal: the sink/counter was built over the radiator so there isn't room for a garbage disposal anyway. I noticed in your photo above that the sink is over the radiator also! I wonder the placement was deliberate? On the good side though, anything drying on the sink dries extremely fast. And in the event one forgets to defrost something for dinner? Just lay it in the sink!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 02:31 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my thoughts are that you let other people do what they want to their homes and you do what you want. why do you feel that your preferences are any better than theirs?

Captain, no one is suggesting that people are not permitted to do what they wish with their own homes.

However, there are so many new homes with no character. They are building these blank slate homes every day. I think that we would all agree that if a person bought a colonial home that was built in the 1700s and proceeded to "blow out the kitchen", rid the house of uneven wide plank floors, get rid of those small windows, raise the roof and put sky lights and a Jacuzzi in a bathroom and vinyl siding on the clapboard that there would be public outrage.

Many of those old 1600 - early 1800s homes that are colonial are protected either by local historical societies or they find themselves on the National register of historical places and are legally protected.
Victorian era homes and buildings also find themselves under similar protection.

My home town of Oyster Bay NY is a place steeped in history. I give my home town as an example because it is the place that I know best. Founded in the 1600s, it was involved in the Revolutionary war and is the home to Raynham Hall, home of the Townsend family, as well as several other 18th century homesteads that are now preserved as museums.

At the turn of the last century, President Theodore Roosevelt chose Oyster Bay as the site of his Summer White house, building Sagamore Hill, his Victorian summer "cottage".

The Presbyterian Church is a carpenter Gothic structure that is still used as a house of worship and is registered in the National Registry of Historic Places.

Oyster Bay did not experience most of it's growth in Colonial or Victorian times though.
Like most American towns, it boomed and blossomed in size and architectural character at two other times - the 1920s and the decades before and after that, and in the post war period.

When I return to that pretty little hamlet, it breaks my heart to see a stately three story structure turned into a bastardised contemporary. WHY? There are plenty of mid century ranches in the area that are modern.

But those woodsy mid century ranches with the glass walls and central fireplaces are being turned into ersatz Victorians adding idiotic turrets and Victorian era flourishes.
In an area filled with many real Victorians why ruin a mid century modern home?
Just because someone has the money to make a mess out of a beautiful home, doesn't mean he should.

There are also brand new Victorians, contemporaries and neo colonials. Buy or build them and get creative all you want! Hey go crazy!

We are a young country. A seventy year old home in the United States is an old home. As is a One hundred and thirty year old home and a fifty year old home. We, as Americans have varied tastes and there is no law that forces the lovers of granite "griege" tile kitchens and baths to live in a kitchen with subway tiles or a bathroom with a black and white tiled Moorish arch surrounding it's bathroom.

There is a difference though. Every time someone destroys a 1930s bathroom, it's gone for good.
Those brownish grey Italian tile baths and granite kitchens are still being built!
In fact, one can hire a builder and have a home like that built now! Put remote control fireplaces in each room and top them all with flat screen TVs! Go crazy!

But would it be too much to ask to leave alone older homes? There are those of us who would live no where else and have never met a brand new house that they wanted to call home.
I do not think that this is too much to ask.

Some of these homes will soon be one hundred years old.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Yes, because the only 2 choices, apparently, are: a. living in a museum that is a perfect time capsule from when the house was built, or b. completely gutting the entire house every 20 years to make it meet modern sensibilities/standards.

I couldn't rep you again JR_C! Those are absolutely not the only two choices!

Looking forward to seeing your project house, by the way.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:52 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Captain, no one is suggesting that people are not permitted to do what they wish with their own homes.

However, there are so many new homes with no character.
i stopped there. the notion that they "have no character" is your own personal taste. so you choose what you like and choose something you feel has "character" and understand that your choice is no better than someone who chooses a home you believe has no "character."

Old 03-27-2013, 03:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
This is the first farmhouse sink we've owned so it has been a learning experience. Yep, no stains, no rust. Thanks for sharing your story.

As far as a garbage disposal: the sink/counter was built over the radiator so there isn't room for a garbage disposal anyway. I noticed in your photo above that the sink is over the radiator also! I wonder the placement was deliberate? On the good side though, anything drying on the sink dries extremely fast. And in the event one forgets to defrost something for dinner? Just lay it in the sink!
Our kitchen is new. We built it out of salvaged materials (except the framing and some of the windows). We put the radiator under the sink becuase that was the best place we could find for a radiator on that wall. When I finish restoring the 1927 Magic Chef stove, it will take up the rest of the wall on that side of the kitchen. It is a monster (weighs over 500 pounds).

I love the defrosting idea. We will try it.

The biggest problem we had with the old appliances is the 1920s fridge. The freezer section is not even large enough for a half gallon of ice cream. We had to hid a fridge/freezer in another room. Eventually we will replace the modern fridge that is in the sun room with a mini fridge and mini freezer which will be in a cabinet under a finch aviary.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
i stopped there. the notion that they "have no character" is your own personal taste. so you choose what you like and choose something you feel has "character" and understand that your choice is no better than someone who chooses a home you believe has no "character."
No. They do not have character.That is not my opinion that happens to be fact. They are large, clean, neat, efficient, built with 21st century living in mind.

Some may be attractive and tasteful. People who buy them put a premium on "new" "neat" "clean" "expensive" "up to date" and frequently "bling". I can totally do without that last feature. These homes may be pretty or may not.
But they do not have "character".

Get a dictionary.

That is akin to saying "My four month old daughter's face has so much character".

Wrong word.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
No. They do not have character.That is not my opinion that happens to be fact.
haha we are pretending to be some kind of intellectual? what a joke. these homes that you perceive as having no character, another person like you will probably be saying in 80 years that they have character while the modern ones do not and it will make him feel like he has more refined tastes than others.

i just noticed you used the word "bling." thats hilarious, what are you talking about?

Old 03-28-2013, 11:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
haha we are pretending to be some kind of intellectual? what a joke. these homes that you perceive as having no character, another person like you will probably be saying in 80 years that they have character while the modern ones do not and it will make him feel like he has more refined tastes than others.

i just noticed you used the word "bling." that's hilarious, what are you talking about?
It is a secret historical home and meaningful architecture aficionado's code. We could tell you what the words mean, but then we would have to silence you. We have our secrets. . . .

Old 03-28-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:

i just noticed you used the word "bling." thats hilarious, what are you talking about?
Yeah, they also teach us to capitalize words at the beginning of sentences. It's all part of an arcane lexicon known only to initiates.

Do I think these houses will have character in eighty years?

No. I do not think they will be standing in eighty years.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:20 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
no one is suggesting that people are not permitted to do what they wish with their own homes.

I think that we would all agree that if a person bought a colonial home that was built in the 1700s and proceeded to "blow out the kitchen", rid the house of uneven wide plank floors, get rid of those small windows, raise the roof and put sky lights and a Jacuzzi in a bathroom and vinyl siding on the clapboard that there would be public outrage.

But would it be too much to ask to leave alone older homes? There are those of us who would live no where else and have never met a brand new house that they wanted to call home.
I do not think that this is too much to ask.
Yes, someone is suggesting that people should not be permitted to do what they wish with their own homes or not permitted to purchase an older home if they intend to remodel ..... you. It's the premise of your whole thread.

No, we cannot all agree. Some might wonder why someone does the remodeling they do, but saying there would be "public outrage" is absurd. Unless the person doing the remodeling becomes a news story because they don't own the home, the "public" would have no clue what they were doing nor have any reason for outrage if they did.

Yes, it would be too much to ask. If you don't own the home, you simply have no say. In many historic areas, homeowners have to get remodeling plans approved by a Historic Landmark committee or some other government body. They buy the home with the understanding that they will comply with the decisions of this body. Unless you are part of such a group, you have no standing and to expect others to obey your standards for their homes is far, far too much to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum