Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
The sink came with the house so it's 80+ years old.

Not a single blueberry stain or dye in there.
Yes, it gets dirty on a daily basis, just as all sinks do. So it needs to be cleaned on a daily basis.
Comet or Ajax and those dark green scouring pads do wonders.
Maybe porcelain of today is lower-grade than the old stuff????
I lived with those sinks for years. I'd use something other than scouring powder/cleanser it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 09:31 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Thanks!

I have a 1930's Jewel stove sitting in the garage, waiting for restoration someday. (It may be too far gone, as it was sitting in a damp basement for decades before I got it) And, I know that the original oak wainscoting is under the paneling (that was added as part of the 50s remodel) in the kitchen. I plan to remove that paneling, but I don't know what kind of shape the wainscoting is in, underneath.
A few dings or cracks in the wainscoting are just character. If it is absolutely trashed or parts missing, you can but new wainscoting, but it will not look as good. You can also have your wainscoting copied, but it is expensive. Are you sure it is oak? That would be unusual in a kitchen. Yellow Pine is more common. (Most people do not realize yellow pine is a hard wood that is nearly as durable and beautiful as oak.).

I am working on a 1927 Magic Chef 1000. It was in a restaurant that was in a barn in Long Island. It sat partially exposed for years. Still not in too bad of shape. The insulation is completely gone which is weird. Most of the paint is rusted away. and there is a rust hole in one metal panel on the back of the oven. Otherwise it is pretty good. I am taking it apart, sanding and painting everything that was pained. replacing the rusted panel, installing insulation and repacking the valves. I will bead blast the burners and grills and paint the grills with high temperature paint. Rebuild the clock and we are good to go.

It is funny they had a big 20,000 btu type burner even way back then. This one does nto have a Lorraine thermostat. I may either try to put one on, or just use it without. I am not sure how difficult baking is without a thermostat. We will have to try it and see.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:11 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A few dings or cracks in the wainscoting are just character. If it is absolutely trashed or parts missing, you can but new wainscoting, but it will not look as good. You can also have your wainscoting copied, but it is expensive. Are you sure it is oak? That would be unusual in a kitchen. Yellow Pine is more common. (Most people do not realize yellow pine is a hard wood that is nearly as durable and beautiful as oak.).
No, I'm not sure it's oak. The bathroom has the same kind of wainscoting, and it is oak, which is also unusual.

Quote:
I am working on a 1927 Magic Chef 1000. It was in a restaurant that was in a barn in Long Island. It sat partially exposed for years. Still not in too bad of shape. The insulation is completely gone which is weird. Most of the paint is rusted away. and there is a rust hole in one metal panel on the back of the oven. Otherwise it is pretty good. I am taking it apart, sanding and painting everything that was pained. replacing the rusted panel, installing insulation and repacking the valves. I will bead blast the burners and grills and paint the grills with high temperature paint. Rebuild the clock and we are good to go.

It is funny they had a big 20,000 btu type burner even way back then. This one does nto have a Lorraine thermostat. I may either try to put one on, or just use it without. I am not sure how difficult baking is without a thermostat. We will have to try it and see.
The outside of my stove, which is mostly porcelain enamel, is in pretty good shape. But, the interior is covered with a thick layer of rust.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:41 PM

486 posts, read 863,205 times
I'm sure this stove can be repaired however it probably would be expensive. I've looked at refurbished
stoves from the 40's and 50's and man oh man they started at $4000.00.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:02 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
We have a small, late 19th century rowhouse. I've noticed, looking at other houses in our neighborhood, the "hip" thing to do seems to be remove every last feature internally. Strip things down to the studs and brick. Keep the external and party walls exposed brick for an industrial atheistic (never mind this was never what was done back in the day). Create new drywall boxes around the stairwell. Lay down entirely new engineered floors. The resulting house looks kind of old because of the grungy brick walls, but it doesn't look historic at all.

We've tried to go midway. The pine floors on the first and second floor had too many holes in them to be nice refinished, so we put bamboo flooring on top. But we refinished the floors in the attic. Conversely, the attic is the only place we reboxed in drywall (the walls were literally falling down), whereas we hired a plasterer for repairs in the living room and kitchen. The original trim is all still in place, and we went to a local mill which specializes in historic trim to have things that matched for repair jobs like restoring the transom. The kitchen was a mid-20th century wreck with only four square feet of counter space, and now it's a functional (if mainly Ikea) contemporary u-shaped kitchen.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:52 AM

950 posts, read 1,259,526 times
Me,I like old houses.I love victorians and bungalows. Would I update things,like air ,heat,plumbing,etc sure.
But would I rip the old place,apart,no.
Why don't some of these people just build a new house. You could have a new home custom designed with the interior you want,but the exterior design could look like a victorian,bungalow,colonial,etc.
If you have the money to buy the house,and then money to burn to redo it,then just have an architect design you a new one.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:25 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
Sometimes, it's not about the interior/exterior appearance of the house, but it's someone wanting to buy into a specific neighborhood or area. I lived in a neighborhood once that was part of one of the best school districts in the state, it was very common for people to buy older homes and either gut them or demolish them so the new owner could build their dream house. My dad lives in Florida and they see a lot of that kind of behavior there, too -- cute little 20s-50s bungalows getting demolished so someone can build a bigger house.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Sometimes, it's not about the interior/exterior appearance of the house, but it's someone wanting to buy into a specific neighborhood or area. I lived in a neighborhood once that was part of one of the best school districts in the state, it was very common for people to buy older homes and either gut them or demolish them so the new owner could build their dream house. My dad lives in Florida and they see a lot of that kind of behavior there, too -- cute little 20s-50s bungalows getting demolished so someone can build a bigger house.

I find that sad. Especially since our next acquisition in terms of a house, will be a "cute little 20s - 50s bungalow" in Florida.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 AM

654 posts, read 945,064 times
They do this because they neither appreciate history nor historical architectural styles. Growing up on the North Shore of Long Island, I saw it quite often. It's mainly the yuppies who do it, or the Nouveau Riche.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:37 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
They do this because they neither appreciate history nor historical architectural styles. Growing up on the North Shore of Long Island, I saw it quite often. It's mainly the yuppies who do it, or the Nouveau Riche.
Hip Priest, I too am originally from the North Shore of Long Island. When I grew up there, there were fewer Nouveau Reche. Now the area is replete with them.

And yes, it started with the Yuppies of the 1980s, and it's continued, much to my dismay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum