Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

My guess just looking at the pictures woudl be 1938. 1940 could easily be accurate. The arched doorways are a giveaway, very common in the late 1930s - early 1940s, however they could be a remodel. If it was not build in 1938 - 1941, then it was probably extensively remodeled during that time. Much of the interior trim appears to be the same period. A few of the windows and the cut off piece of hardware on one door appear older.

Definitely not 1910s and not likely 1920s IMO. What State is this? If this is New England where they may have used the newest cutting edge new styles and materials, it might be early 1930s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 06:24 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Sanborn maps can be really useful. Does your city have a historical library or a historical room in the library? Phone books, deeds, recorded morgages all can help figure out the history of the house and propert.y
Good idea! My old house was built in the 1920s. I've seen arial photos on old postcards of sections of the town. One of them had neighboring streets, but where my house was, it was still a field!

Old 04-13-2013, 01:45 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I got a 1920s feeling from it. Maybe early 30s. That unpainted wood is very common around here, the oak. In the 30s they got more into Bungalow style and a more clunky look, where I live anyway. Let us know, we are wondering.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:55 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Land records at the county courthouse (grantee/grantor indices or tax records) will tell you who bought the property and when, not necessarily exactly when the house itself was built. But if you get some names from those records, go to the public library and read City Directories, starting with earlier than the date you think your house was built. City Directories are very fun to read - love the advertisements!

I'm betting your house was built ca. 1930, based on features.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:18 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My guess just looking at the pictures woudl be 1938. 1940 could easily be accurate. The arched doorways are a giveaway, very common in the late 1930s - early 1940s, however they could be a remodel. If it was not build in 1938 - 1941, then it was probably extensively remodeled during that time. Much of the interior trim appears to be the same period. A few of the windows and the cut off piece of hardware on one door appear older.

Definitely not 1910s and not likely 1920s IMO. What State is this? If this is New England where they may have used the newest cutting edge new styles and materials, it might be early 1930s.
It's in Ohio. Everything in the house seems original. Even the out door paint colors. Where it has chipped it looks as though it's the same color underneath. It doesn't look as though anything was renovated. with the exception of one upstairs bathroom, a toilet on the first floor (1965).

The ironing board closet was repurposed as spice rack - but they left the exterior alone.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Interesting thread tried to rep but it says I have to wait.

It reminds me of a Craftsman type cottage I saw in S. california, circa 1920-30's. Heavy wood detail and glass knobs.

Congrats on the new house

Old 04-16-2013, 04:47 PM

I went to the Historical and Genealogical Library today and I was able to turn up something. Someone lived in this house in 1930. So the 1940 date was off.

Now I have a last name of first owner - or who I think was the first owner. I can trace it backwards from there at the hall of records.

I'd still love to see early pictures of the house. Any suggestions?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I went to the Historical and Genealogical Library today and I was able to turn up something. Someone lived in this house in 1930. So the 1940 date was off.

Now I have a last name of first owner - or who I think was the first owner. I can trace it backwards from there at the hall of records.

I'd still love to see early pictures of the house. Any suggestions?
I just had to come back and learn the answer. You found it. So those of us who said 1920s were right. I have no idea how to search for pictures except for the historical society. Where I live there's usually someone who's lived in the town for a million years and knows everything by heart. Maybe you have one of those.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:48 PM

I don't either. The amount of information that I gleaned was from the amazing. The records state that this family was living here in 1930. It was comprised of a husband and wife, two daughters, one son, and the wife's mother.

At the time of the 1940 census, all of the children were in their teens, as mine are. The first owner appears to have had the house built for his family. My daughter and I always thought that it was wonderful - but unusual that her bedroom had two large closets. Now we know why, one for each sister.

In the eave of the crawl space in my son's room, the name "Bill" is scratched. That was the name of the husband and the son!

This is one of the several hundred reasons why I LOVE old houses!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:38 AM

Two closets, mystery solved. And finding the name Bill. That's sweet.

I grew up in an old house. I didn't care at the time because I was a kid but sometimes someone would come in and say, "Oh this is the old part of the house...." It must have only been a kitchen with two small rooms (or one large room) attached and then the upstairs with one room and an attic. I have no idea how old that house was. Someone later on had tacked a huge living room all across one side and added an awkward back bedroom upstairs. I wonder if the "new" part included the wrap around front porch too. Maybe the newer part was from the '30s. The older part had a dirt cellar and the doors were different and the doorknobs were like a brown porcelain while in the newer part they were glass.

If you have a large city library anywhere near you they would have reference librarians who could look things up for you. They might even have archives with old photos. Genealogical societies often have old photos and information too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum