Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 10:08 AM

480 posts, read 667,905 times

Advertisements

My wife and I love our current house. We'd like to rebuild in another state. To build, we'll need to have an architect create blueprints of our existing house.

Has anyone done that before? How hard is it for an architect to do? What kind of service are we looking for (i.e., how do we describe to the architect what we want)? Should we get copies of the floorplans from the county that issued the original building permit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 12:58 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,949,948 times
That would be a start. If its a newer home there should be a detailed set on file. I would contact the architect who stamped the drawings to see if he wants to do this for you. Otherwise you may have a kind of copywrite problem. If its just the layout that you want to replicate and not every detail, then there may not be a problem with an architect making a measured plan and taking it from there (I'm not really sure). You might check with the nearby AIA chapter (every major city has one) to get their view on the legality of redrawing the plans.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:33 PM

5,263 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Depending on how old your house is, or if it is a tract house, there may not be existing plans so no issues there. I wouldn't think it would be very difficult for a decent architect to copy your floorplan and roofline, but you haven't given us any details of your house.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:01 AM

8 posts, read 21,206 times
It would be an easy task for an architect. It would be best to find on where the new house will be built. It is likely the new house will be different because of climate, site, building codes, and your your needs which the architect would take into consideration.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:37 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
You don't "need" an architect to do that-

If you can draw a somewhat rudimentary floor plan and measure every room, you can take that info to a CAD operator (one that does residential specifically) and (s)he can "draw" you a scale drawing. taking into consideration wall thicknesses. Going directly to a CAD operator will save you substantially; because if you were to go to an architect guess what (s)he is going to do- give it to a CAD operator. Yet you're still paying for the "architect's fee".

With that drawing on a flash drive you can make as many changes and/or prints as needed with little cost.

It's a fairly common practice- I've even done it on a couple of occasions. Happened upon a plan another builder was building, like it, copied the floor plan, gave it to my CAD guy and he worked his magic and had scale drawings- from there I tweaked; enlarged, scaled back, eliminated, rearranged.

The general flow and feel was there without an over glaring "copy" to the plan I "stole".

Most states don't require an architect/wet seal for drawings. Some AHJ's still don't require plans for a permit, but that is slowly disappearing.

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 06-16-2015 at 06:45 AM..

Old 07-21-2015, 12:07 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
Yep, K'ledge is right. I've done a lot of these. I've measured the existing house, draw the plan and elevations then make the revisions the owner require and submit it to the city for a building permit. Just remember the new house will have to meet the current building codes.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,901 times
I hired 2 different architects in past 2 years, purchased 2 sets of plans and still haven’t built our dormer... it seemed both plans took forever. I’m not happy with either idea and am trying to rework it myself but am getting frustrated. Is there anyone out there that could look at the floor plan as a blank space and give me any ideas??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum