U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 03:27 PM

69 posts, read 94,416 times

Advertisements

I'm a teenager wanting to design buildings and I currently have Chief Architect Software to design houses I want to but there is a 5 story limit so I can't design skyscrapers. I need a good program to design skyscrapers, and no Minecraft is not an option. I can use my architect software to create all floorpans but I could use a better software to design tower exteriors. Any software that can let me design my own software with measurements would be ideal. Thanks

Last edited by powcity; 07-31-2015 at 03:44 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 08:07 PM

5,721 posts, read 15,265,345 times
I don't think you know what you are asking. A program that will do multistory buildings that would acceptable for permit reviews is not a cheap date. AutoCAD will do it but you are talking thousands to buy it. Learning AutoCAD would be extremely helpful though as it is pretty much the industry standard. There are many AutoCAD techs that learn the program after hours in Continuing Education classes or as a college study. Learning AutoCAD can open many doors for you besides designing homes or commercial buildings. As a teen, I'd strongly suggest getting a job building houses so you have a clue how the project advances from foundation to finish. This is where a lot of the "architects" don't have a clue. Most don't know which end of a hammer to hold and it shows in their crappy designs. Kinda bad when a HIGH dollar architect designs a structure with a 12" cantilever on the top story but the bottom and top are the identical same size. Or designs a commode room you can't get in. Or designs a stairwell that is in code violation and now you don't have the room to move the walls cause nothing fits. I have ZERO respect for architects for the above reasons and many, many more issues. They're educated morons. The jist here is don't be one. Be hands on and learn the building trade while learning designs and programs like AutoCAD.

One of our school districts offers a home building class and yes, you actually build a home. If your area has a school that offers a course like that, take it. Might even check into a local college that offers construction classes. I occasionally teach a class on structural wall panel construction and the design values. Yet another AutoCAD heavy project. And you might be surprised how many graduates that haven't the faintest idea how to build a dog house so the designs go lacking. There are FEW structural component designers that have even a basic clue. Those that know their way around the construction site are in HIGH demand and making big money. An example of lousy design. I was building a component home, a 2 story 3800 sq ft home. The upstairs was supported by LVLs and two met on the top plate just above the garage entry door. That panel had a 2x 6 for a header. So the entire upstairs was to be supported by a 2x 6. It's this kind of stupidity that runs rampant in the industry because everybody wants to learn the basics and pick up details on the job. Only problem is they're making so many mistakes they spend most of the time figuring out how to fix the screwups. That's why it is important for you to get experience building homes/buildings and then move on to design. As a teen, you have a lot of time to learn the right way. I wish you the absolute best of luck in your future. Just remember, there are no shortcuts. Do it right the first time means you are always moving forward.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:34 PM

69 posts, read 94,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I don't think you know what you are asking. A program that will do multistory buildings that would acceptable for permit reviews is not a cheap date. AutoCAD will do it but you are talking thousands to buy it. Learning AutoCAD would be extremely helpful though as it is pretty much the industry standard. There are many AutoCAD techs that learn the program after hours in Continuing Education classes or as a college study. Learning AutoCAD can open many doors for you besides designing homes or commercial buildings. As a teen, I'd strongly suggest getting a job building houses so you have a clue how the project advances from foundation to finish. This is where a lot of the "architects" don't have a clue. Most don't know which end of a hammer to hold and it shows in their crappy designs. Kinda bad when a HIGH dollar architect designs a structure with a 12" cantilever on the top story but the bottom and top are the identical same size. Or designs a commode room you can't get in. Or designs a stairwell that is in code violation and now you don't have the room to move the walls cause nothing fits. I have ZERO respect for architects for the above reasons and many, many more issues. They're educated morons. The jist here is don't be one. Be hands on and learn the building trade while learning designs and programs like AutoCAD.

One of our school districts offers a home building class and yes, you actually build a home. If your area has a school that offers a course like that, take it. Might even check into a local college that offers construction classes. I occasionally teach a class on structural wall panel construction and the design values. Yet another AutoCAD heavy project. And you might be surprised how many graduates that haven't the faintest idea how to build a dog house so the designs go lacking. There are FEW structural component designers that have even a basic clue. Those that know their way around the construction site are in HIGH demand and making big money. An example of lousy design. I was building a component home, a 2 story 3800 sq ft home. The upstairs was supported by LVLs and two met on the top plate just above the garage entry door. That panel had a 2x 6 for a header. So the entire upstairs was to be supported by a 2x 6. It's this kind of stupidity that runs rampant in the industry because everybody wants to learn the basics and pick up details on the job. Only problem is they're making so many mistakes they spend most of the time figuring out how to fix the screwups. That's why it is important for you to get experience building homes/buildings and then move on to design. As a teen, you have a lot of time to learn the right way. I wish you the absolute best of luck in your future. Just remember, there are no shortcuts. Do it right the first time means you are always moving forward.
AutoCAD is far in the future for me and I am enrolled, yet haven't taken, home design a building classes at my high school and I know what I'm asking for is a bit crazy but I just want something that can let me design tower ideas (outside views) as I can't draw to save my life and any visual I try to make on my computer ends up looking stupid with anything I try and use. I'm not doing this for any job or profits, just for fun and for my own enjoyment and I'm years away from ever getting a job and designing buildings. I don't need anything that will be ready for permit quite yet. I'm sure when I get serious and in college AutoCAD will be an excellent option. I know what I'm asking for is a little out there and ahead of my knowledge but I need something to suffice my desire to design.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:24 PM

5,721 posts, read 15,265,345 times
Okay, now I have a clue what you want. Search for AutoDesk Architectural Desktop. Requirements are Windows XP or higher. You'll need a fast processor or the program will be SLLLOOOOOW. I run a Core i5 with a terrabyte of memory. The program is the light version of AutoCAD for students. There should be a free download online for students. You may need to register to get it. If you can't find it or it costs money, which it shouldn't, I have a 3 disc set here I can send you. But you should be able to download this program free. If it doesn't work, DM me and I can probably make other arrangements for you.
AutoCAD 2005 Free Download

The above is supposed to be a free download. Hope this helps. By the way, once you learn this program, yer AutoCAD ready.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:18 PM

5,600 posts, read 8,654,388 times
Try Vectorworks, As a student it should be free. It is a great, object based 3D CAD program, no limits on height (several very well known skyscrapers have been designed using it, by very famous architects). It has a great curtain wall tool/feature that should make designing skyscrapers a snap (if you have the design talent). Also has great graphics and a pretty intuitive workflow.

I use it for residential design, building and landscaping and some tenant improvement.

Vectorworks CAD & BIM Software | 2D & 3D solutions for design | Vectorworks

Old 08-06-2015, 03:52 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,141,874 times
AutoCAD/ AutoCAD architecture and Autodesk Revit are the industry standards, I suggest learning both if you want to get into the industry. You can download a free demo of both on Autodesk's website that is good for 30 days. after the 30 days is up, you can still use the software, just cant print or save.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:42 AM

123 posts, read 142,288 times
I'm an architecture student. Because you are a student, you should be able to take advantage of educational discounts from sites like JourneyEd. I got Revit for $10, and an Autodesk CAD bundle for $120 (it included AutoCAD, 3ds max, etc) and/or Rhino (I personally prefer SketchUp, but once you learn AutoCAD, Rhino comes pretty easily). These programs would cost thousands otherwise. I also recommend downloading and playing around in SketchUp (its free). If you are seriously looking into architecture, I highly recommend buying these programs and at least having a general understanding of these programs before you enter architecture school. If you have any questions let me know, i will be happy to help.

Old 02-15-2017, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,655 times
I can understand your problem. Have you ever tried DrawingView App for your construction project? This is 100% free software for contractors and architects. You should try this software for your project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum