Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 12:24 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a lot of house plans and I am mystified. If a room is labeled 10X11, which measurement goes in which direction? Is the room 10 foot this way and 11 foot that way? Or is it 11 foot this way and 10 foot that way?

Oriented to what? Oriented to the door of the room? Oriented to the front of the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 01:47 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,326,471 times
The first # = width; left to right of the principal entrance; if a room has multiple entrances of the same width then it's the first entrance one would approach from the principal entrance (front) of the structure (in most cases).

Old 04-27-2016, 06:22 PM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
The first # = width; left to right of the principal entrance; if a room has multiple entrances of the same width then it's the first entrance one would approach from the principal entrance (front) of the structure (in most cases).

So in other words, yeah... it's 10 foot this way and 11 foot that way, or 11 foot this way and 10 foot that way...

I've always wondered that myself. Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:36 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,089,291 times
Seems simple enough when looking at a plan, a rectangle that is longer on one side than the other will be easy to spot and the longer measurement goes to that side. On a 10x11 ft room, then the longer side of the rectangle as you are looking at the plan is the 11 foot side. Should be easy enough to visibly see that difference in length. Not sure where the mystery comes from?

Old 05-02-2016, 12:32 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
So in other words, yeah... it's 10 foot this way and 11 foot that way, or 11 foot this way and 10 foot that way...

I've always wondered that myself. Thanks for the reply.

I dont believe there is any real standard on it, but usually its east/west X north/south, but dont quote me on it. Also often times those numbers are rounded off, so you need to refer to actual dimensions.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:27 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,209,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Seems simple enough when looking at a plan, a rectangle that is longer on one side than the other will be easy to spot and the longer measurement goes to that side. On a 10x11 ft room, then the longer side of the rectangle as you are looking at the plan is the 11 foot side. Should be easy enough to visibly see that difference in length. Not sure where the mystery comes from?
10 vs 11 is not very much disparity in length. And if it includes something projecting into the space or pushing further out like a bay it can be a little confusing for some people.

Also make sure you are sure that is a clear dimension inside- typically it is to the face of stud so you lose the depth of the drywall and then the baseboard in terms of placing furniture. Other times (typical construction drawings) will measure from the face of one stud, across the stud and to the face of the next stud- so that dimension is for framing purposes and the actual room dimension looses the width of one wall.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
I misread the OP's question. The above reply pertains to the measurement convention of a single room. For example, a walk-through with a real estate agent, each room entered would have it's dimensions given as distance left-to-right (width) then distance from entered door to opposite wall (length).

However, when (ie.) looking at a magazine of house floor plans, the standard design convention has all widths (left-to-right) with the front of the house toward the viewer (bottom of the page). This is a standard that comes from when we actually sat at drafting tables. Those that do it differently do it wrong because it causes confusion. There are a lot of designers that do it wrong.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:39 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
When I'm looking at a plan, I assume the first number is the "X" dimension, (left-right) and the second number is the "Y" dimension. (up-down) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartes...rdinate_system)

If the main entrance is facing the bottom of the sheet, then I'm in agreement with LIGuy. But, when I'm drawing a plan, the main entrance doesn't always do that. Usually, north is up (which doesn't apply, when looking at plan books, obviously) or the plan has to be oriented some other way to better fit on the sheet. I'm not saying that I'm right, but it hasn't caused any issues for me, yet.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:15 PM

I think "north is up" works only on maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum