Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,831 times

Advertisements

I have a basement post, which I don't think is load bearing. It's a single 2x4 on a brick at the base of the stairs.

I posted the same question on diychatroom which has a lot of information:
https://www.diychatroom.com/f19/repl...9/#post6127713
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 01:37 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,892,074 times
I would say it is load bearing and it looks like a 4x4 instead of a 2x4. Take it out and see what falls down? Frequently, many things won't totally collapse although it could drop the steps by a few inches. Of course, you still have the option of a total collapse. But, I'd guess it's load bearing.

A post on a brick is a fairly standard old style method of holding things up. If there's any possibility of moisture in the brick at the bottom, put a bit of tar paper or metal flashing between the post and the brick. That's what I'd do, anyway.

We bought a fixer upper last year where the previous folks fixing it didn't seem to think that a 1"x 8" T & G wall could possibly be a load bearing wall. After they removed it, the ceiling dropped by about 3". The post under the front corner of the living room (this is Hawaii, a lot of houses live on post and beam) had rotted since they didn't have a moisture barrier at the bottom of the post sitting on a concrete block so the bottom of the post rotted off. That was another 3"+ drop for the front living room corner.

It's 'just' one 4x4 post on a brick. (I do like using a floor jack to jack up floors, that was fun in a strange way.)

Simpson stand off post base and there was some more Simpson fittings added, but the 4x4 post braced both ways with a 2x4 was a pretty standard post construction method for decades. At least, in Hawaii, it may be different in your location.

If you're worried about your post being knocked off the brick, you could replace the brick with a new longer post and a Simpson base.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 06-20-2020 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-20-2020, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,831 times
You might be right. If it's bearing a load, it's a very small load. So I think If I reinforce the floor joists it could be removed. I think maybe they added the post because the floor joist is notched because of a pipe, which takes away some strength. I don't think a post is normally necessary in this scenario. However, I'm probably going to have a structural engineer confirm that. Thanks

Old 06-20-2020, 01:55 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,892,074 times
How about replacing it with a small wall under the side of the steps and making a storage closet there?

Old 06-28-2020, 02:45 PM

6,343 posts, read 4,080,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronArm View Post
I have a basement post, which I don't think is load bearing. It's a single 2x4 on a brick at the base of the stairs.

I posted the same question on diychatroom which has a lot of information:
https://www.diychatroom.com/f19/repl...9/#post6127713
Difficult to determine the reason for that post, however I’m certain it was installed to support that header. It appears as though one of the double header beams was cut or notched due to that copper waste line. If the header is in fact cut or notched, then there is your answered and the reason for the post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum