Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 07:33 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times

Advertisements

We were wanting to build an accessory dwelling unit (ADU) as a second unit on our property. The lot is flat and there is a back alley it will be facing, but we do live in a highly regulated jurisdiction which makes everything more costly and take longer. What would be a ballpark price for a licensed architect to build a 1,000 sq. ft. two story home? I already got a quote not from an architect, but a home designer, at $8/sq. ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 11:02 AM

Got one offer that came in at $15/sq. ft. so I will keep looking

Old 12-28-2020, 12:18 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
A true “ballpark” price would be in the $125-$150sq/ft. range.

What are those prices you’re quoting? Design, on a napkin!?

Old 12-28-2020, 05:57 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
That $10-15/sq ft for design services sounds about right especially for a small, complex structure. Soft costs of construction run you about 12% of a total budget, of that design services from an architect figure about 5-8%. I charge anywhere from $3-5k for design, construction documents and permitting for an existing accessory structure (garage) into an ADU. Total new build I would charge $6-12k depending on the lot, complexity/stories. In addition to proper siting, roof detailing, fenestration and materials I end up matching a lot of craftsman detailing of original vintage houses on the property.

Around these parts all in will run you at least $300/sq ft. to design, permit and construct an ADU in the city. Smaller buildings with kitchens and bathrooms = more cost per sq. ft. plus lots of codes and regulations.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:00 PM

Got three quotes for $8k, $15k, and $25k. The $8k is from a designer and the other two are from licensed architects. It's weird how some price it on a per square foot basis and others on a percentage of the home cost, but at least it was an apples to apples comparison since they were all furnished with the same basic specs.

My original plan was to get architectural plans and them give them to two builders that we liked to see what each one would quote us. In my conversation with the $25k architect he said this usually doesn't work and its better to pre-select a builder so they can be involved in the design phase.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:32 AM

Any advice as to what to look for in a residential architect contract? things I should be wary of? exclusions and extra fees?

Old 03-23-2021, 08:19 AM

I ended up going with an experienced architect who has done ADUs in my city. His cost was $13.5k. What sealed the deal is he did this French farmhouse style home in our neighborhood that the spouse adored.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I ended up going with an experienced architect who has done ADUs in my city.

That's a good decision-

His cost was $13.5k.

Just so everyone is on the same page- can you expound what that price includes(?).

What sealed the deal is he did this French farmhouse style home in our neighborhood that the spouse adored.
That could be so wrong on so many levels.

The best advise I can ever offer anyone when shopping architects is to remember one thing... You are entering into a contract that is almost like a "marriage". This "partnership" can be a 1yr, 2yr, and sometimes even longer "marriage". It's a long time if you're not seeing eye-to-eye, communicating daily, expressing opinions, ideas, concerns. If you don't get the "warm and fuzzies" from the first 2-3 meetings, it's going to be a tough row to hoe!

Old 03-25-2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
That could be so wrong on so many levels.

The best advise I can ever offer anyone when shopping architects is to remember one thing... You are entering into a contract that is almost like a "marriage". This "partnership" can be a 1yr, 2yr, and sometimes even longer "marriage". It's a long time if you're not seeing eye-to-eye, communicating daily, expressing opinions, ideas, concerns. If you don't get the "warm and fuzzies" from the first 2-3 meetings, it's going to be a tough row to hoe!

Its going well so far. Met for the 4th time yesterday and the amount of edits is steadily decreasing. Actually at this point I'm more concerned about the builder than the architect, but that's another story.

Old 03-26-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
...but that's another story.

Another indeed. And with lumber prices the way they are right now, you may decide to sit on those plans for awhile.

Never went through the Holly area- but had a few good Midnight Yell Practices on the Capitol steps! Gig'em Aggies! Beat the Hell outta t.u.!!! Maybe that'll happen again- kinda soon(?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum