Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2021, 09:53 PM

313 posts, read 268,380 times

Advertisements

I'm inquiring here to help out my husband. Forgive me if I don't use correct terminology. We have a builder waiting to start building our home. We haven't submitted our house plan for a building permit yet because.....

My husband's childhood friend who is a draftsman /CAD operator took the house plan my husband hand drew and used a program to make it into a houseplan.

Our builder liked it and told my husband to now take this house plan to a structural engineer to have him design the ceiling/roof structure and ensure the home is structurally sound.

The problem we've run into with 2 engineers is they don't want to stamp our plan because they both say this houseplan we designed and our CAD operator drew up using his program, "Isn't the structural engineer's work, therefore he can't stamp it" ???

It's baffling because we intend to pay him for his portion designing the structural soundness. Our CAD operator/draftsman friend did a lot of work completing the entire home. We're ready to go. Just need the structure designed then stamped as being sound....

Everyone's so busy building now. Maybe they don't need the work? I'm looking for suggestions for how to get this house plan designed for structural soundness/ stamped. Thanks

Last edited by Withinpines; 04-18-2021 at 10:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 09:00 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
You have two choices-

You bow to the laws of the state you’re building in...
Or, build the house in a state that doesn’t require a wet seal on the design plans.

I can think of a couple of arguments; but it’s an uphill battle in trying to “circumvent” state laws.
Good luck!

Old 04-19-2021, 07:55 PM

313 posts, read 268,380 times
Well as of today, engineer #3 knows exactly what we want. Not sure if this was a case of arrogance/self importance here with these other sought out/experienced engineers.

Maybe they wanted credit for the entire house plan. CAD operators/draftsmen are underappreciated and usually do the bulk of the work.

Engineer #3 is young, motivated and willing to get this done quickly. Thanks...

Old 04-20-2021, 02:42 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
CAD operators/draftsmen are underappreciated and usually do the bulk of the work.

Yes! You are absolutely correct! I took enough CAD classes to be dangerous (fairly proficient to AutoCad 9)! Actually, it was more so I could communicate to our in-house CAD person.

#3 may understand what you want, but does it meet the criteria of the AHJ? That will be the deciding factor.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:43 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
That is pretty odd. It is very common for an architect not to stamp off the work of others but structural engineers are designing the structure of a building design handed off to them all the time. That’s what they do.

I frequently hand off a house design to an engineer and generally the only input to my design might be to move or thicken a wall or corner or sometimes an opening in order to locate a post or provide more shear wall length. Otherwise they just come up with the foundation, shear wall, roof/deck member sizes/attachments and overall structural design that works with the geometry of the architectural design given them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum