Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 08:16 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times

Advertisements

How long is a string?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2022, 09:37 AM

700 posts, read 446,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
How long is a string?
It's exactly that long.

Old 04-23-2022, 08:05 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
How long is a string?

It depends!

Old 04-24-2022, 07:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Long enough - or maybe not long enough.

Old 04-24-2022, 02:08 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Let’s be serious here and return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator

Old 04-24-2022, 05:22 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
Well, the OP has posed a question with so many "it depends" and so few facts that silly answers to a silly question are the only ones that make any sense. Put me on superdoublesecretprobation if you want.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:51 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Well, the OP has posed a question with so many "it depends" and so few facts that silly answers to a silly question are the only ones that make any sense. Put me on superdoublesecretprobation if you want.
Seriously-
The Delta Tau Chi was a great fraternity! Fictitiously speaking.

Old 06-12-2022, 02:29 PM

14,473 posts, read 20,652,743 times
This seller recently spent over $250K for a house which would be perfect for them since they are single, no kids, over age 70 and the house is 1800+ square feet and fully concreted driveway to an enclosed garage at the back.
In this market I'm not sure why they would spend the most they have ever spent on a house to be flipped. I was hoping they would plan to live there and that would free up the house they might sell.
If this is a flipper I'm disappointed since this one they bought a few months ago surely has everything they could want in a house and would remove their idea of building their own brick house. Trying to flip one that expensive when they have never paid over $145K for any of their flippers is curious. Pass up such as nice house when the materials and labor are already paid for vs. building themselves another brick house for likely way, way over the $250K.

Old 06-12-2022, 03:20 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I was going to build when I moved to New Mexico. I bought my 1/2 acre lot. I was going to be a "pioneer" in that area -- no close neighbors. It had all utilities except water and sewer so I needed a well and a septic system. I had plans drawn up and looked forward to getting started. My builder was quoting prices that kept going up. The cost of wood was soaring. Everything was going up. There was no guarantee on drilling a productive well. The last straw was the "engineered dirt" that would be needed -- truckloads of dirt. I had plenty of dirt. With the economy in recession, my builder suggested that I look for a resale house as there were a lot of homes on the market.

I found a custom-built house that I liked on 1.3 acres that was about ten years old. It was slightly smaller than what I was going to build (by 200 sq. ft.) but was nicely laid out. It had more bells and whistles than my planned house. It was perfect for one person and was at least $100,000 less than what new construction would have cost. My builder inspected it and said that the house could not be built for the asking price. I have more land, front and back walled courtyards, and only one adjacent neighbor. The land butts up against a small arroyo in the back so there will be no close rear neighbors. The view is down-slope toward the Rio Grande and across to the Sandia range. I enclosed a portion of the rear covered portal/porch for a small office. It had a well and septic system in place, a new roof, and a new evaporative cooler. Heat is thermal with a boiler with hot water piped in the floor. That system has required some maintenance over the last few years.

Of course the homes were not identical but this situation reflects more of the reality of the question of 'building vs. buying'.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:36 AM

14,473 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I was going to build when I moved to New Mexico. I bought my 1/2 acre lot. I was going to be a "pioneer" in that area -- no close neighbors. It had all utilities except water and sewer so I needed a well and a septic system. I had plans drawn up and looked forward to getting started. My builder was quoting prices that kept going up. The cost of wood was soaring. Everything was going up. There was no guarantee on drilling a productive well. The last straw was the "engineered dirt" that would be needed -- truckloads of dirt. I had plenty of dirt. With the economy in recession, my builder suggested that I look for a resale house as there were a lot of homes on the market.

I found a custom-built house that I liked on 1.3 acres that was about ten years old. It was slightly smaller than what I was going to build (by 200 sq. ft.) but was nicely laid out. It had more bells and whistles than my planned house. It was perfect for one person and was at least $100,000 less than what new construction would have cost. My builder inspected it and said that the house could not be built for the asking price. I have more land, front and back walled courtyards, and only one adjacent neighbor. The land butts up against a small arroyo in the back so there will be no close rear neighbors. The view is down-slope toward the Rio Grande and across to the Sandia range. I enclosed a portion of the rear covered portal/porch for a small office. It had a well and septic system in place, a new roof, and a new evaporative cooler. Heat is thermal with a boiler with hot water piped in the floor. That system has required some maintenance over the last few years.

Of course the homes were not identical but this situation reflects more of the reality of the question of 'building vs. buying'.

Yes thanks.
It wasn't their pattern of flipping to spend $250K on a flipper. They have decided it will be their primary residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum