Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Trends Are Going To Fade
Open Concept - Kitchen, Dining & Living Areas 28 41.79%
Free Standing Tub and Shower in the Same Space 12 17.91%
Fake Electric Fireplaces 17 25.37%
Massive Master Suites 10 14.93%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 05:40 AM

369 posts, read 105,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The open floorplan is a concept that I wish would die a fiery death yesterday. Sadly, I doubt that will change any time soon. Most people seem to love an open floor plan. I hate it. When I am in a room, I only want to be snug in that one cozy room. I don't want to feel like I live in a loft or a cavern. The industry does not give a lick what I want, and I don't feel like buying a home built in the 1940s or 1960s just to avoid an open floor plan.
Smaller homes in the '40s and '50s might have open concept as well, where the living and dining were one big room with the kitchen open on the side in an L shape. Maximizes space in a smaller home while not feeling like every room is a closet. While I don't want to feel like I'm in a gymnasium, I also hate being in furnished closets. I want some room to spread out, move around and have good natural light. I'll leave being "cozy" for bedrooms and bathrooms.

These are some '50s floor plans. The last is the floor plan of the '55 house I lived in for a while. Pretty open, but it was a 900 sf home...
Attached Thumbnails
Trends Destine to Die-vintage-house-plans-295.jpg   Trends Destine to Die-vintage2.jpg   Trends Destine to Die-ranchfloor.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 01:55 AM

23,216 posts, read 29,026,930 times
I once had a big bedroom in a townhouse in Las Vegas, I wasn't sleeping well with all that space around me, so I split it in half, for a nice cozy 8 by 10 space. I don't even sleep well in hotels with too much space around me.

Old 03-08-2024, 05:14 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,193,756 times
The "transforming" apartment may be the end result of both open concept & master suite, mutating into a one room does-it-all.
The 250 sq ft master suite becomes a kitchen, a dining room, a walk-in closet, a parlor, a workplace, and so on.

Old 03-08-2024, 10:51 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The "transforming" apartment may be the end result of both open concept & master suite, mutating into a one room does-it-all.
The 250 sq ft master suite becomes a kitchen, a dining room, a walk-in closet, a parlor, a workplace, and so on.
Yep, when I was 22 and on my first job out of college I lived in one of these. We called it an "efficiency". Moving to an apartment with an actual bedroom was a big step up.

Now people want the whole house to be like an efficiency apartment, only a lot bigger. Go figure.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:01 PM

14,156 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdd fq View Post
'Open Concept' should be done away with....... I dont know how ppl can live like that!!

Its ugly for one!!
But as a Realtor friend of mine said as I was interviewing the owner of a very nicely rehabbed two-story "workingman's" rowhouse in Powelton Village here with a totally open main floor (that the Realtor was selling), the open plan saves builders money because they don't have to put up so many interior walls.

So it's not going anywhere, unless and until building technology makes fully separated rooms cheaper.

I do, however, often see what I'd call a hybrid setup in custom (or mass-customized) homes in the middle and upper price ranges: A center-hall Colonial front half with a traditional living room and dining room, and what I call an "everyday living suite" in the back. This is an open space that combines the kitchen, the breakfast room and the family room. (A doorway links the formal dining room in front to the kitchen in the everyday living suite, often through a butler's pantry.) It does seem that many buyers find such setups functional, and these houses do sell.

Old 03-14-2024, 11:58 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Open plans did not come about because it “saved builders money”…

It was the “cocooning effect”- and the nucleus family! Being “connected” throughout the house.

The less construction cost was just a byproduct-

Old 03-14-2024, 12:39 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,862,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
But as a Realtor friend of mine said as I was interviewing the owner of a very nicely rehabbed two-story "workingman's" rowhouse in Powelton Village here with a totally open main floor (that the Realtor was selling), the open plan saves builders money because they don't have to put up so many interior walls.

So it's not going anywhere, unless and until building technology makes fully separated rooms cheaper.

I do, however, often see what I'd call a hybrid setup in custom (or mass-customized) homes in the middle and upper price ranges: A center-hall Colonial front half with a traditional living room and dining room, and what I call an "everyday living suite" in the back. This is an open space that combines the kitchen, the breakfast room and the family room. (A doorway links the formal dining room in front to the kitchen in the everyday living suite, often through a butler's pantry.) It does seem that many buyers find such setups functional, and these houses do sell.

That second plan is extremely nice for a young family. And a separate living room is great for a peaceful getaway if everyone else is watching a movie.

Old 03-14-2024, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

It was the “cocooning effect”- and the nucleus family! Being “connected” throughout the house.

We're just going back to the way it was...

Old 03-14-2024, 10:06 PM

14,156 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

So? That didn't make the Realtor friend wrong. He didn't say the open plan arose because it saved builders money, just that it did. I was using that observation to argue that it wasn't going to go away unless tastes changed so dramatically that builders couldn't sell open-plan houses for that reason. That seems not to be the case.

And certainly, the hybrid model I described in that same post speaks to your point about cocooning. I even remember featuring a 1960s rancher in Abington that that got written up in The Philadelphia Inquirer because its new innovation — kitchen, breakfast room and family room all in one — made it easier for the woman of the house to keep an eye on the kids while fixing dinner.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 03-14-2024 at 10:15 PM..

Old 03-15-2024, 07:19 AM

I'm sure this wasn't built this way because it was "cheaper"

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M38517-48155

And it's certainly not a small, cheap, entry level house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum