Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2011, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,801 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,
My family is considering moving to AZ in June of 2012, when I son is out of high school and before he starts college. We currently live just outside of Nashville, TN. I grew up in CA and have family in SO CA so the closer the better. We would like a little space, at least 2 - 5 acres. Our house here will sell for about $180,000 and is 1,800 sq ft. We would try to stay in the same price range or lower. We are running away from the weather in TN and it's not really that bad but the humidity is terrible. You can not go out in the summer without sweating, this includes just sitting in the shade.My son wants to go to medical school, I picture him going to a two year college first. We would like to find a decent medical school in the same town. We also need a place that has some employment opportunities. I will need to find a new job, currently I guess you could say I am in the RV business.
Any suggestions or comments…
Thanks,
Charlie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 08:38 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,459,534 times
Sounds like Tucson, or the general Tucson area, would be a place to start. (It's where our medical school is.) You are very likely to have trouble finding acreage in your price range, though, without going way out of town.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:05 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,523,288 times
If your son wants to be a doctor, UofA in Tucson is the school he would attend. If he has other interests in the medical field, depending on what they are, many of the other colleges in the state offer something.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:59 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,360,795 times
I agree. Tucson sounds like the place.

Ken

Old 02-20-2011, 05:02 PM

81 posts, read 272,301 times
...and if he started his core classes at a community college and then went on to a bigger university would give you a larger choice of places.

Mohave County (Kingman, Lake Havasu, Bullhead) has Mohave Community College and Lake Havasu will have ASU classes in the fall of 2012. MCC also has classes from NAU.

..and we're crawling with snowbirds with RV's ;+)

And we have easy access to So Cal

Last edited by BillieHiser; 02-20-2011 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Adding easy access to so cal

Old 02-20-2011, 07:41 PM

54 posts, read 99,529 times
i'm not sure about jobs in kingman but the land prices are great. i bought 5 acres for $17k about 10 years ago. i think values have gone up 2-3 times that now. that is no improvements... water must be hauled but is very common here. or drill a deep well 500-1000'.

there are 2 acres lots with water service well under $50k then build your own house. i think your budget will buy 90% of the existing houses in the area.

education wise, MCC is nice but somewhat limeted. the do have a nursing program, not sure about what they offer for aspiring doctors. i live a block from the kingman campus but the tech/trade classes i take are only offered in bhc or lhc. (bullhead city, lake havasu city)

there are a few rv parks to live in or offer your talents to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona