Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:04 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I'm not acting like anything. Sorry. So 110 is hot anywhere, that is a little more common right? Also I did not start the thread. The coldest day in Michigan was Feb 9th 1934 and it was -51 get it right lol That is cooooold!
My car and home have never been covered with pollen, flies and skeeters are nothing compared to scorpions, tarantula's, brown recluse, rattle snakes, gila monsters,brain eating amoeba and the list goes on. Brain eating amoeba? That is the freakiest EEEEK!!! Ever! Would keep me out of the lakes out there fo sho!
Fear of desert creatures is WAYYYYY overblown.
More people die each year from bee/wasp stings than die from rattlesnake bites, gila monster bites (which are almost NEVER seen), scorpion stings (most varieties are not that dangerous), tarantula bites (scary LOOKING but not really that dangerous), brown recluse bites and ALL other desert critters COMBINED - and bees and wasps live in Michigan as well.

This site draws its stats from the National Safety Council: Most Common Causes of Death Due to Injury in the US

The fact is for most Arizona dwellers they will NEVER see any those creatures you mention. If you live in rural areas or in urban areas at the fringes of the desert then yeah, you may well see some of them - but most people don't live in rural areas or the fringes of the desert - most people in Arizona live in the suburbs (just like in any other state).

Having spent 4 years of my childhood in Michigan (Battle Creek) I love the state and consider it vastly underated. Having said that, I'd take Arizona weather (even in the hottest parts) over Michigan weather ANY DAY. The other thing to keep in mind is that all of Arizona is NOT a furnace and the state offers all kinds of different climates due to it's wide variations in elevation (though it IS true that MOST people live in the hottest part of the state). We have property in the SE corner of the state (which is mid-level elevation) just 40 minutes outside of Tucson, sit at 4,200 feet, and our average summer highs are 93/91/88 for June/July/August - AND Battle Creek has had MORE 100 degree (or more) days this year (4 - with a peak of 103) than our land in SE Arizona had (3 - all at 100) - and Arizona had those days with much lower humidity - and the land in SE Arizona DIDN'T have to deal the Michigan winters (average high in January on our land is 60 & the average low that time of year is 36). Having experienced both, I'd take 100 degrees in Tucson over 85 degrees in Michigan any day - though to honest I'd rather take 93 on my land (which is pretty easy to take with the relatively low humidity we typically have) than either one of those (which is why we bought where we did).

Ken

PS - the most dangerous animal or insect on earth (not so much here in the US but around the world in general) is the mosquito - which is estimated to transfer diseases to 70 million people per year. I also suspect that - though I don't think there's any reliable statistics on the issue - flies cause more deaths and injury (though disease) than any other creature than the mosquito.

Top 10 Most Deadly*Animals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:45 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Fear of desert creatures is WAYYYYY overblown.
More people die each year from bee/wasp stings than die from rattlesnake bites, gila monster bites (which are almost NEVER seen), scorpion stings (most varieties are not that dangerous), tarantula bites (scary LOOKING but not really that dangerous), brown recluse bites and ALL other desert critters COMBINED - and bees and wasps live in Michigan as well.

This site draws its stats from the National Safety Council: Most Common Causes of Death Due to Injury in the US

The fact is for most Arizona dwellers they will NEVER see any those creatures you mention. If you live in rural areas or in urban areas at the fringes of the desert then yeah, you may well see some of them - but most people don't live in rural areas or the fringes of the desert - most people in Arizona live in the suburbs (just like in any other state).

Having spent 4 years of my childhood in Michigan (Battle Creek) I love the state and consider it vastly underated. Having said that, I'd take Arizona weather (even in the hottest parts) over Michigan weather ANY DAY. The other thing to keep in mind is that all of Arizona is NOT a furnace and the state offers all kinds of different climates due to it's wide variations in elevation (though it IS true that MOST people live in the hottest part of the state). We have property in the SE corner of the state (which is mid-level elevation) just 40 minutes outside of Tucson, sit at 4,200 feet, and our average summer highs are 93/91/88 for June/July/August - AND Battle Creek has had MORE 100 degree (or more) days this year (4 - with a peak of 103) than our land in SE Arizona had (3 - all at 100) - and Arizona had those days with much lower humidity - and the land in SE Arizona DIDN'T have to deal the Michigan winters (average high in January on our land is 60 & the average low that time of year is 36). Having experienced both, I'd take 100 degrees in Tucson over 85 degrees in Michigan any day - though to honest I'd rather take 93 on my land (which is pretty easy to take with the relatively low humidity we typically have) than either one of those (which is why we bought where we did).

Ken

PS - the most dangerous animal or insect on earth (not so much here in the US but around the world in general) is the mosquito - which is estimated to transfer diseases to 70 million people per year. I also suspect that - though I don't think there's any reliable statistics on the issue - flies cause more deaths and injury (though disease) than any other creature than the mosquito.

Top 10 Most Deadly*Animals
Your not saying anything I don't already know. I just had to respond to the skeeter comment etc. I really liked it out there when we visited, but love Michigan. I'm very tempted to apply for a job in my company out there, but I hate the idea of moving away from friends and family. I have not seen any of my relatives in Arizona in over 4 years now. They never make it back to Michigan. But being born and raised here I have a lot more family and all my friends as well as my sons friends here. Not easy to uproot a kid when he does not want to move. He may need to give it a try though.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:57 AM

58 posts, read 188,958 times
Gotta love the snowbirds telling AZ residents what's better and what's not.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:52 AM

40 posts, read 41,700 times
I wonder if we can say "damn" here?

Old 07-31-2012, 01:54 AM

40 posts, read 41,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiecuando View Post
I wonder if we can say "damn" here?
I guess so. It's HOT! Humid as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona