Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 12:00 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times

Advertisements

I think it is the luck of the draw. You were unfortunate to have landed in a spot with some obviously stupid people. We have had several black families move to our community and the children are accepted and play with all the others. I do feel bad when someone who has a bad experience blankets an entire state with one brush. This is a good state and having come from CA can assure you that there are racists there as well. I wish you luck where you venture.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:34 PM

230 posts, read 583,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
This is what you posted:

"Just remember this: there is no black nucleus, no black owned stores, no cultural places to eat food we enjoy, no black hair salons, nothing. I live in a huge, comfortable home. My husband makes a nice salary. Still, that will never replace the feelings of being culturally and socially isolated. Just don't do it. You will thank me!"

To me, it sounds like you'd like to live in a community with black culture. Either way, I hope you venture out and find some people who enjoy diversity, no matter their skin color. Cali may be more diverse, but it's also more dense. You don't have to drive around as much looking for people or cultural activities. Glad you liked Phoenix
What I meant by that quote is what others AA's understand. I don't have to live right in the middle of a black community. We didn't in Cali. But whenever I needed to get my hair done (which is extremely important for black women) I could at least drive to another town or area outside of the white community where me and my white husband lived to get my beauty products or hair done. That's what I mean by having a black nucleus. It doesn't mean you necessarily want or need to live there around or among other black people. It's just a relief to know that it's somewhere around to visit once a month. I guess you have to, for just a moment, try to step into someone else's shoes. If you married a man from another country and had to move their with him, but they had absolutely none of your favorite American necessities, it could be difficult. If you had to live in another country and some natives viewed you as a vile American while other natives simply dismissed you, how would you feel? Of course all comments are welcome. It just seems like the more some people comment, the more they don't get it. I also read a another blog from some blacks who've lived in AZ for several generations. They understand what I'm saying completely. They claim that the native blacks in AZ are "used" to the treatment they get from white people even though they don't like it, but often when other blacks come they notice a different treatment immediately and plan on moving because they are not used to being treated so. When I read that I knew someone understood and felt better. So, when other AZ's try to discount what I say or make it seem like it's no big deal (like saying, Oh prejudice is everywhere or maybe you want to find more black areas to live in) I realize more than ever we made a big mistake moving here. Like I said before, other blacks will read these blogs and it will help them see what I mean and they will understand.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:18 PM

788 posts, read 2,110,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
What I meant by that quote is what others AA's understand. I don't have to live right in the middle of a black community. We didn't in Cali. But whenever I needed to get my hair done (which is extremely important for black women) I could at least drive to another town or area outside of the white community where me and my white husband lived to get my beauty products or hair done. That's what I mean by having a black nucleus. It doesn't mean you necessarily want or need to live there around or among other black people. It's just a relief to know that it's somewhere around to visit once a month. I guess you have to, for just a moment, try to step into someone else's shoes. If you married a man from another country and had to move their with him, but they had absolutely none of your favorite American necessities, it could be difficult. If you had to live in another country and some natives viewed you as a vile American while other natives simply dismissed you, how would you feel? Of course all comments are welcome. It just seems like the more some people comment, the more they don't get it. I also read a another blog from some blacks who've lived in AZ for several generations. They understand what I'm saying completely. They claim that the native blacks in AZ are "used" to the treatment they get from white people even though they don't like it, but often when other blacks come they notice a different treatment immediately and plan on moving because they are not used to being treated so. When I read that I knew someone understood and felt better. So, when other AZ's try to discount what I say or make it seem like it's no big deal (like saying, Oh prejudice is everywhere or maybe you want to find more black areas to live in) I realize more than ever we made a big mistake moving here. Like I said before, other blacks will read these blogs and it will help them see what I mean and they will understand.
I understand the need for hair salons. As a kid, I used to hang out with a friend from Togo for hours while her aunt braided her hair. If you want straightener or conditioners, I've seen African American geared products at Walgreens.

As far as history and culture goes, well, I don't have any of the European culture I grew up with here, but I don't expect it in Arizona. Unfortunately, a person really can't expect their preferred culture to follow them around.

(This page (broken link) has a history of African Americans in Arizona. Yes, there has been descrimination, just like everywhere else in the US, but at the bottom of the page, you'll see that in 92, voters approved the MLK holiday, after it was blocked many times by the legislative and executive branches. That says something about the general population's view of African Americans and the Civil Rights movement, doesn't it? As others have stated, I think you had some bad luck, and it's not representative of AZ as a whole.

Let's clarify what it is you want, exactly. Do you want to have hair salons and certain eating establishments within walking distance? Maybe you and some friends should start a black nucleus, as you put it.

Here's another link to a page that has activities for blacks in Phoenix: African American in Phoenix - Black in Phoenix

Old 11-28-2007, 05:51 PM

230 posts, read 583,632 times
Default Just don't get it

What I want is to do exactly what most blacks who move here do. Eventually move back to Cali. Of course, because of the racial climate of the state there will not ever be many black businesses here. I think it's silly to say that I can just go to Walgreens. If you know anything about black hair, which I don't think you do, you cannot simply go to Walgreens. You need a nice beauty salon to go to. It would be nice if you don't have to travel 2 hours to Phoenix, but that is what I have to do if I want my hair done. I posted the info. for other blacks coming here. It's basically what I wish someone had told me before I considered moving here among other things. If you look at my past messages (and stop trying to smooth over what kind of state you perceive AZ to be) you'll understand that I did not have a few bad run in's. Once again, I am not looking and was never looking for a black community in AZ. I was looking for and have the right to expect to live in a place where people behave like real Americans: to be respectful of others based on their character and not on the color of their skin. Every mother wants her children to be accepted. If children are discriminating toward other children, they must have learned it. I feel like they learn it at home. Once again, if I only had a few bad run-ins then why do so many other blacks that I come into contact with have very similar experiences? Amazing. I'm still glad for all the comments, but the more you try to discount what it's really like here, the worse it sounds. I'm not saying every single person here in AZ is prejudiced. What I am saying is for anyone of color coming to AZ, read the blogs from people of color, not just me, at think it over. It will save you some time and money.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:37 PM

67 posts, read 324,812 times
Quote:
What I want is to do exactly what most blacks who move here do. Eventually move back to Cali. Of course, because of the racial climate of the state there will not ever be many black businesses here. I think it's silly to say that I can just go to Walgreens. If you know anything about black hair, which I don't think you do, you cannot simply go to Walgreens. You need a nice beauty salon to go to. It would be nice if you don't have to travel 2 hours to Phoenix, but that is what I have to do if I want my hair done. I posted the info. for other blacks coming here. It's basically what I wish someone had told me before I considered moving here among other things. If you look at my past messages (and stop trying to smooth over what kind of state you perceive AZ to be) you'll understand that I did not have a few bad run in's. Once again, I am not looking and was never looking for a black community in AZ. I was looking for and have the right to expect to live in a place where people behave like real Americans: to be respectful of others based on their character and not on the color of their skin. Every mother wants her children to be accepted. If children are discriminating toward other children, they must have learned it. I feel like they learn it at home. Once again, if I only had a few bad run-ins then why do so many other blacks that I come into contact with have very similar experiences? Amazing. I'm still glad for all the comments, but the more you try to discount what it's really like here, the worse it sounds. I'm not saying every single person here in AZ is prejudiced. What I am saying is for anyone of color coming to AZ, read the blogs from people of color, not just me, at think it over. It will save you some time and money.
I am happy that you adressed this.Black people can NOT get their hair supplies at Walgreen's.I understand ALL of your posts.
I am a black woman,but I will agree with some of the other posters that racism IS everywhere.I moved to Chicago from California.In Cali I NEVER got followed around stores(shopping while black)but in Chicago I get followed around very often.I can be in my work scrubs or looking professional,but I still get followed around especially downtown.So believe me racism is everywhere because Chicago has A LOT of black people.

I am sorry for all that you and your family has gone through...

Old 12-21-2007, 02:24 PM

95 posts, read 466,882 times
I have to agree with you on everything that your saying, i really don't care for Arizona and i don't plan on staying. I'm not saying Arizona is a bad state at all, but it's not what i expected.

Quote:
Sorry folks. You really are missing the point. I'll say it again. I did not come to arizona looking for a black community because I did not come from a black community in california. In cali, the area was predominantly white. The major difference is that in cali the color of my childrens' skin was never an issue. In arizona it is. Why do people think that just because people are so unkind to my children that suddenly, I'm looking for a "black" neighborhood? That's not the answer to anything. I emailed my friends in cali, who are mostly white, and they were absolutely appalled. I guess cali is just more accepting of everyone and everything. I have accepted that arizona, from my own experiences, is not that kind of place further south. By the way, Phoenix was great.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:41 PM

27 posts, read 172,541 times
It seems Annibelle picks and choose what to be upset about. She is stereotyping Arizona like the people around here have done to her. I really feel sorry for her children, but I have to wonder if the were raised with the "your black attitude." I went to high school in Tucson, I would love to know what school district she is talking about. She refers to Raytheon in one of her post so leads me to believe she is on the Northwest side of town. I went to Mountain View and have girlfriends that grew up there from kinder and we are 35-36 . I never saw what she is talking about. I moved to Tempe and worked with a lot of blacks and they seemed to segregate themselves from the rest of us, until one day me and a girl name Danica became friends slowly and broke the down the barrier. She got to know a white person and I black on more deep friendship level. I think it's all about the person and never the place. I just find it hard to believe that her children experience continual racism in Tucson. Maybe once I can see it but not all the time. We moved to Tucson in 89, my little brother was in 8th grade, struggling with being in a new school, a neighborhood boy befriended him. That boy was really his only friend throughout, his name was Lamar and he was a black boy. Lamar was social had lots of friends and never once did I see him have issues. Like I said, it's usually the person not the place.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:17 AM

8 posts, read 30,003 times
Smile Blacks in Arizona

I'm new to this board, so greetings everyone first of all. I could'nt help but read Annabelle's blog regarding racism here in Arizona and the unfortunate incident at her child's school.

As a Black person, I think it's horrible what happened at such a young age. Unfortunately, as a young child attending a ballet school, I had the misfortune of a parent telling me when I was not near my mother that I couldn't come to the party of one of the girls in my class (the class was predominantly white) because I was Black. I was so shocked, I hadn't thought of myself as less worthy than them, I just stared at him. He was a cop in his day job, btw. That was my first experience with racism. I never was invited to that party by anyone, not that cared that much to go but hence, I experienced the social isolation that most Blacks in this country are probably used to.

Anyway, I grew up in Cicero, Illinois and remember KKK dressed in sheets coming through our neighborhood really fast on trucks. Gosh, the racism was so horrible what Blacks went through in my area of town. Even in recent years, I got called the n-word by a white woman who bumped into me in a mall where mostly Blacks were shopping. That being said, racism is everywhere and upon moving here, I kinda already mentally prepared myself to deal with it. The white women at the Glendale visiting center was really my first bad experience with it here. Other than them, everyone especially white people have been really nice in my opinion and i always focus on the positive.

Despite my experiences with racism, i still give everyone a chance and was raised to believe that most whites are NOT racist, just pockets here and there. I still believe that and heck, I've been treated at times poorly by other Blacks among other groups. So u really can't go by color too much in the way of expectations.

I do see what u mean about the hair situation (tho I haven't been here long enough to fully research this) and ur right about hair care being serious for the sistahs! I also have not seen a lot of soul food restaurants. BUT BLACKS shouldn't leave, they should start a business for what is needed. To move wouldn't make sense and I can tell u do not want to leave, maybe ur just feeling isolated when it comes to your experiences? Maybe u can start a club or way to connect with others who u feel can relate. If ur still reading this post (as I know it's old) let me know what u think about that.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:04 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,179,268 times
Wow! Had to read through all of this before asking a question!

I have been considering moving to Arizona soon, in about 6 to 8 months, and had sorta wondered about where to live.

I usually don't worry about being one of a few black folks in the area because it usually isnt a problem. But I had noted that in some places in Az we don't even rate on the census

Being from DC originally, that's hard to grasp.
Presently I'm in AK so I'm used to a large mix of people.

I have been to Pheonix and it seemed fine. My friends were white and I didn't see a problem.

But the place I am looking at is a very small town (Ajo)starting an artist community and lists no blacks to my knowledge.

I'm not worried about the size of the town because, hey , I can always drive to a bigger place. But you guys have me wondering about other things.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:23 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmaya View Post
I'm new to this board, so greetings everyone first of all. I could'nt help but read Annabelle's blog regarding racism here in Arizona and the unfortunate incident at her child's school.

As a Black person, I think it's horrible what happened at such a young age. Unfortunately, as a young child attending a ballet school, I had the misfortune of a parent telling me when I was not near my mother that I couldn't come to the party of one of the girls in my class (the class was predominantly white) because I was Black. I was so shocked, I hadn't thought of myself as less worthy than them, I just stared at him. He was a cop in his day job, btw. That was my first experience with racism. I never was invited to that party by anyone, not that cared that much to go but hence, I experienced the social isolation that most Blacks in this country are probably used to.

Anyway, I grew up in Cicero, Illinois and remember KKK dressed in sheets coming through our neighborhood really fast on trucks. Gosh, the racism was so horrible what Blacks went through in my area of town. Even in recent years, I got called the n-word by a white woman who bumped into me in a mall where mostly Blacks were shopping. That being said, racism is everywhere and upon moving here, I kinda already mentally prepared myself to deal with it. The white women at the Glendale visiting center was really my first bad experience with it here. Other than them, everyone especially white people have been really nice in my opinion and i always focus on the positive.

Despite my experiences with racism, i still give everyone a chance and was raised to believe that most whites are NOT racist, just pockets here and there. I still believe that and heck, I've been treated at times poorly by other Blacks among other groups. So u really can't go by color too much in the way of expectations.

I do see what u mean about the hair situation (tho I haven't been here long enough to fully research this) and ur right about hair care being serious for the sistahs! I also have not seen a lot of soul food restaurants. BUT BLACKS shouldn't leave, they should start a business for what is needed. To move wouldn't make sense and I can tell u do not want to leave, maybe ur just feeling isolated when it comes to your experiences? Maybe u can start a club or way to connect with others who u feel can relate. If ur still reading this post (as I know it's old) let me know what u think about that.
What a great post!!!! I am now thinking of opening a hair salon or restaurant in Chandler!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona