Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:06 PM

39,024 posts, read 51,075,331 times

Advertisements

Yes, drought is a major concern, but not in the sense that current conditions merit concern. AZ is subject to extended periods of drought interspersed with (usually) shorter times of excess rainfall. In the Phoenix area, there are reservoirs and canals to deliver water stored during times of plenty during times of drought. Phoenix, at least, has very little risk of any water shortage barring some dramatic climate shift. Other parts of the state do not have as secure a source of water and their risks can vary, though there are no immediate problems at this time. The Phoenix area also has vast groundwater resources that could be tapped should an extended drought occur.

A great deal of thought, planning and expense goes into water issues in this state. I worked in this field almost my entire career, most of it in Arizona, and can assure you that it is not something taken lightly. Even our normally brain-dead state legislature is pretty well-educated and proactive in water resources management legislation. They've had to make tough political choices and have pretty much stepped up to the plate and done it. At the federal level, AZ legislators from Carl Hayden to John McCain have been consistent advocates for the state.

Other areas of the state are not so blessed as Phoenix, but none are currently having to restrict growth due to projected water limitations. That may change in the future. That is going to be the true test of political will.

But if I were considering moving to Phoenix, water would be the least of my concerns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 02:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
drought isnt that big of a concern in arizona as we are used to it, especially in the summer. however when colorado experiences drought conditions, then there is real concern since a good part of the water used by phoenix and tucson come from the colorado river, through the CAP.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:12 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,505,915 times
Quote:
drought isnt that big of a concern in arizona as we are used to it, especially in the summer. however when colorado experiences drought conditions, then there is real concern since a good part of the water used by phoenix and tucson come from the colorado river, through the CAP.
There are huge underground aquifers and the many man-made lakes in Arizona, as well as the CAP. Lots of water here, but we still try to use it wisely....

Old 08-13-2010, 04:56 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,753,315 times
This is an interesting article from azcentral yesterday

Lake Mead at 54-year low, stirring rationing fear

Quote:
Drought-stricken Lake Mead has dropped an additional 10 feet since last summer, and now, Arizona and other Colorado River users are scrambling to keep the reservoir full enough to avoid water rationing.
Moderator cut: post a link and a snippet instead of pasting the whole thing here, please

Last edited by Marka; 08-16-2010 at 07:13 AM..

Old 08-13-2010, 06:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
There are huge underground aquifers and the many man-made lakes in Arizona, as well as the CAP. Lots of water here, but we still try to use it wisely....
quite true, which is why tucson has the beat the peak program that has been quite successful for a few decades now. that is what i meant by we are used to drought conditions.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:37 PM

614 posts, read 1,760,824 times
Arizona has actually been at about normal or above normal for the past 2 years. And remember Arizona is not all desert.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:36 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,258,795 times
There are days in which I have no water at my home. On the days it rains, I have to place empty milk containers and allow them to fill with water. Sometimes, I have to go to the YMCA to take a shower because water doesn't come from the taps. My swimming pool will often dry out. It can be a major concern here.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:29 AM

39,024 posts, read 51,075,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
There are days in which I have no water at my home. On the days it rains, I have to place empty milk containers and allow them to fill with water. Sometimes, I have to go to the YMCA to take a shower because water doesn't come from the taps. My swimming pool will often dry out. It can be a major concern here.
Well you should have known better than to live in Chandler.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:36 PM

206 posts, read 533,623 times
There is no drought in 98% of the U.S. I read an article recently with a map, and the droughts in this country are almost non-existent. Just a few tiny slices of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona