Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When most people think of Arizona they think of...
A sandy, desolate desert with absolutly nothing for miles and is 120 degrees everyday 63 50.00%
Summer time and how every season is an endless summer 15 11.90%
A mix of forests, mountians, and deserts all combinded into the state that make it perfect for almost everyone 38 30.16%
Phoenix, there's no where else to live but Phoenix 10 7.94%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:57 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,926,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
It's a good thing those people are wrong in their assumptions, isn't it? It also shows why generalizing usually isn't a good idea....
And the odd thing is that most of those "racist, illiterate, meth addicted redneck hillbillies" came from other places since the vast majority of folks who live here aren't AZ natives. I wonder if people feel that way about the folks they 'left behind' when they moved here! I do believe most of our legislators, etc. are also from other places. Oh my!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
When I told people I was moving here, everyone said 'Oh man, it's too hot there!' Of course, it's been hotter here less than 5 days than it has been where I moved from so far this year, and the humidity is ALWAYS lower by at least 20-40%.
Well, unless it's raining! I think our summer, so far, in the Verde Valley has really been quite nice. It's been hot, yeah, but not as hot as it could be and less hot than Phx., for sure.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:02 PM

353 posts, read 658,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
It's a good thing those people are wrong in their assumptions, isn't it? It also shows why generalizing usually isn't a good idea....
I agree they're dead wrong. In fact we're just the opposite. Sadly though recent events have cast us in a light that might take years if not decades to live down.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:23 PM

353 posts, read 658,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
And the odd thing is that most of those "racist, illiterate, meth addicted redneck hillbillies" came from other places since the vast majority of folks who live here aren't AZ natives. I wonder if people feel that way about the folks they 'left behind' when they moved here! I do believe most of our legislators, etc. are also from other places. Oh my!!
That is what's most ironic. I think people from other places don't realize how much of a melting pot AZ is. I think many of them think we were settled by a bunch cowboys or people from the south and migration from the MW, East, CA, NE etc. is recent. I think they think of us like Houston, Dallas or Atlanta. They don't realize we were settled by people from those locales in the first place and are basically a hybrid west coast/midwestern city with a good dose of east coast sprinkled in. It is ironic that they view us like Alabama or Arkansas.(No offense to Alabamans, or Arkansans.) First 2 southern states that came to mind. Unfortunately many see us as a bunch of good ol boys that don't like minorities which is also associated with the south rightly or wrongly.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:30 PM

291 posts, read 753,372 times
Displaced immigrants from the rust belt or midwest that mistakenly think they are natives.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
That is what's most ironic. I think people from other places don't realize how much of a melting pot AZ is. I think many of them think we were settled by a bunch cowboys or people from the south and migration from the MW, East, CA, NE etc. is recent. I think they think of us like Houston, Dallas or Atlanta. They don't realize we were settled by people from those locales in the first place and are basically a hybrid west coast/midwestern city with a good dose of east coast sprinkled in. It is ironic that they view us like Alabama or Arkansas.(No offense to Alabamans, or Arkansans.) First 2 southern states that came to mind. Unfortunately many see us as a bunch of good ol boys that don't like minorities which is also associated with the south rightly or wrongly.
Can't argue any of that! My family migrated here as well, from IL and CO, but they migrated to THOSE places from other states as well. Northeastern and southern. We've been here for 85 years now. One of my great grandad's, from IL, came out here in the 1880s but discovered he "couldn't take the heat" and moved back. Then his sons moved here and became rich with cooling/heating/plumbing. Far sighted! lol In all honesty though I think they DID have a "good ol' boy" mentality and even as a kid I didn't appreciate that. My southern roots family were much more tolerant and much less "good ol' boy" than the midwestern ones.

AZ is truly a "melting pot", albeit not as much as back east. But I don't think people remember what a comparatively "young" state AZ is either. It has grown by leaps and bounds mostly just since the end of WWII.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
Displaced immigrants from the rust belt or midwest that mistakenly think they are natives.
I always figure after they've been here enough years they are 'almost' natives anyway. They pay their dues, for sure. But the newcomers who come here and complain about the OTHER newcomers...well, I just don't know. lol

Old 08-11-2010, 11:23 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,092,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Can't argue any of that! My family migrated here as well, from IL and CO, but they migrated to THOSE places from other states as well. Northeastern and southern. We've been here for 85 years now. One of my great grandad's, from IL, came out here in the 1880s but discovered he "couldn't take the heat" and moved back. Then his sons moved here and became rich with cooling/heating/plumbing. Far sighted! lol In all honesty though I think they DID have a "good ol' boy" mentality and even as a kid I didn't appreciate that. My southern roots family were much more tolerant and much less "good ol' boy" than the midwestern ones.

AZ is truly a "melting pot", albeit not as much as back east. But I don't think people remember what a comparatively "young" state AZ is either. It has grown by leaps and bounds mostly just since the end of WWII.
Good post AZBrat! Enjoyed it. Couldn't rep you anymore.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:26 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,092,923 times
#2 because our summer is a Southwestern desert summer, our spring and fall are a mid-western summer and our winter is a Northeastern summer. So, yes, a bunch of summers. I haven't seen a winter yet. ha ha

Old 08-11-2010, 11:50 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,189,410 times
well generally number 1 pops into my head however I know that number 3 is the correct answer.

Now when I think of Az, I think about the racist governor and the Joe Arpaio guy. I love AZ and visit very often and I used to have family in Phoenix. I love traveling through Flagstaff and Sedona (so beautiful) but now when I think of AZ, the new law pops into my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona