Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: train horn blowing at crossing?
yes... blow the horn! 26 76.47%
no blow... silence is golden. 4 11.76%
yes...blow during daylight hours only... no blow at night. 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:54 PM

65 posts, read 175,835 times

Advertisements

heard that kingman az city council has considered a $50,000 study to stop unnessary train horn blowing at the three railroad crossings downtown. they could save $49,995 if they simply used flagstaff's study... and pass a 'no unnessary horn blowing' ordanance. sacramento ca also has 'no blow' crossings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 12:03 AM

792 posts, read 1,301,467 times
Feds dictate to the RR how, where, and when to use bells and whistles. As annoying as that noise might be, even with that noise, and gates, there are idiots that try to beat the train...

I guarantee you....let the study find that the trains should cease making that noise, and the first person hit will be running to the "heavy hitter", looking for a quick payday.....If they live:

Those crossings have been in Kingman for a long, long time....the noise factor should be no surprise:

Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeedyt View Post
heard that kingman az city council has considered a $50,000 study to stop unnessary train horn blowing at the three railroad crossings downtown. they could save $49,995 if they simply used flagstaff's study... and pass a 'no unnessary horn blowing' ordanance. sacramento ca also has 'no blow' crossings.
The noise control would among other things consist of rerouting traffic and eliminating crossings. So obviously the Flagstaff plan is of little use to Kingman in that regard. Council member Robin Gordon is already using the Flagstaff success as an example though. I haven't heard about the $50K study though. Got a link?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Those crossings have been in Kingman for a long, long time....the noise factor should be no surprise:
That's a strange comment. So you're thinking towns should never try to improve themselves?

Old 09-03-2010, 03:47 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Lot's of good information here:

Operation Lifesaver

It was started by several engineers after some auto-train collisions.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:59 PM

in regards to the $50,000 study... i haven't seen anything... it's just what i heard from a neighbor over the fence. in regards to 'rerouting traffic and eliminating crossings' flagstaff hasn't done either. the two crossings downtown and the 'enterprise ave' crossing are no horn blow. the two easternmost crossings (steves blvd and fanning ave.) have 'wayside horns' installed. the speed limit for trains at the east side crossings are much higher than at the 'no blow' crossings. next time i get to flagstaff i need to see what the train speed limits are. gonna guess that the downtown 'no blow' crossings are 35 mph and the eastern crossings is probably 45 or 50 mph. i fully understand blowing the horn when it it is really needed... but so many times it is not needed.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:05 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Another ridiculous and atrocious waste of taxpayers money . . .

A Train Horn is much less offensive than the sounds and sights of a Train Wreck.

Anyone offended by the sounds of a train horn needs to move as the RR Crossing has been around for decades. Kinda like people complaining about the "offensive" sounds from an airport when they moved nearby long after the airport was built.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:15 PM

the excessive horn blowing has destroyed a lot of business in downtown kingman. another thing... railroad engine horns seem louder in pure noise level to the sides of the locomotive than thet are to the front of the locomotive. when did they start mounting the horns behind the cab instead of on top of the cab? doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the horn would be more 'louder' to the area in front of the oncoming train if it was better located. also what is the point of sounding the horn all the way across the actual crossing? it's a little late then....

Old 09-03-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Another ridiculous and atrocious waste of taxpayers money . . .

A Train Horn is much less offensive than the sounds and sights of a Train Wreck.

Anyone offended by the sounds of a train horn needs to move as the RR Crossing has been around for decades. Kinda like people complaining about the "offensive" sounds from an airport when they moved nearby long after the airport was built.
Ha! Try standing on Rt66 in downtown Kingman and carry on a conversation or even talk on your cell phone. I'll bet you'll change your tune because it can't be done. Those horns are deafening.

I don't have a strong opinion on them either way, mind you. I'm still collecting data. If the plan doesn't include rerouting traffic and getting rid of crossings, then I'm probably against it. But if they can do it safely, then I'm all for it. I do spend a bit of time downtown, and those horns are super obnoxious.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:27 PM

one more thing... (then i'll shut up for a while...) back in the steam days (when downtown and my house were built) the whistles weren't as obnoxious sounding as the modern horns.... and they didn't blow them so much!!! (in duration). if flagstaff and sacramento can do it... why not kingman? thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona