Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 02:20 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
117 on July 4th, at least it's still a little cooler than the record 122 we hit in 1990, and came close to hitting with the 121 we had in late July of 1995.

Boy, it didn't seem like it was that long ago when we had the freeze here in the desert! - I guess this is the year of extremes. I know when we had the record 122 degrees on June 26th, 1990, in early December of that same year, we hit record lows as well.

Also, that frost we had in the the middle of January of this year, it killed my 2 ficus niteda trees in my backyard, which I paid about $1,000 for, less than a year earlier!
A little off topic, but do you think Phoenix Harbor will shut down again with temps that high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 02:23 PM

155 posts, read 821,666 times
I don't know - but I know my "aircar" will stop its mobility - going to stay in where its cool..........
stretch my arm through the window and pull my steak from the grill..
Have a Happy and Safe 4th everyone...

Old 07-02-2007, 02:36 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
A little off topic, but do you think Phoenix Harbor will shut down again with temps that high?
I doubt it. In 1990 they were able to shut down Sky Harbor because it wasn't as busy as it is today.

With a minimum windspeed of 5 MPH, they can still keep the airport open, although pilots would have to use their own discretion in some cases to decide wether to fly or not, depending on the total weight of the aircraft.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 07-02-2007 at 02:46 PM..

Old 07-02-2007, 05:48 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,450 times
Quote:
I doubt it. In 1990 they were able to shut down Sky Harbor because it wasn't as busy as it is today.

With a minimum windspeed of 5 MPH, they can still keep the airport open, although pilots would have to use their own discretion in some cases to decide wether to fly or not, depending on the total weight of the aircraft.
Actually, the reason they shut down the airport is because their aviation charts only went to 120 degrees. I wonder if they've updated the charts since then.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
Actually, the reason they shut down the airport is because their aviation charts only went to 120 degrees. I wonder if they've updated the charts since then.
That's right, I remember that now. Thanks for correcting me.

I also hope we don't have to find out if those charts have been updated. I don't think I want to see the 122 record broken.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:48 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,922,389 times
Quote:
Also, that frost we had in the the middle of January of this year, it killed my 2 ficus niteda trees in my backyard, which I paid about $1,000 for, less than a year earlier!
Did they come with a warrenty? My neighbor just had a bunch of trees planted and they came with 2 year warrenty.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:05 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,450 times
Quote:
That's right, I remember that now. Thanks for correcting me.

I also hope we don't have to find out if those charts have been updated. I don't think I want to see the 122 record broken.
That's one of those days I'll never forget. I was a young man and worked as a greenskeeper at Moon Valley C.C. We would go to work at 4:30 in the morning, skip lunch, and be done working by Noon. But there were a few of us that played golf every afternoon in the summer. Most of the members had places up north so we had the course almost completely to ourselves. We would play 36 to 54 holes every day. Oh to be young again.

That day it hit 122 we played 36 holes. When I was riding in my cart it felt like someone was holding a blow dryer in front of my face. I'm not sure how many gallons of water I drank that day, must have been at least four or five, and the amazing thing (other than that we survived) was that all day my clothes were never wet with perspiration.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:14 PM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Too extreme, but its not like some of us hadnt seen it before.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:52 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,552 times
Default Holy crap !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
The news stations are forcasting a high of 117 degrees in Phoenix for the 4th of July! The rest of the week will be at least 110 every day.
Welcome to Phoenix everyone!
PS: It's a dry heat.
Unreal! I told this to my wife (who feels hot if it's over 75), and she says that would be her nightmare. Hope my brother enjoys it. He's in Surprise.
4th should be pretty pleasant here next to Lake Michigan.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Did they come with a warrenty? My neighbor just had a bunch of trees planted and they came with 2 year warrenty.
Actually both came with a 3 month warranty, unfortunately the freeze came long after the warranty had expired

Both trees were still young when that freeze hit, and I put blankets on the top of both of them, which was a mistake because I should have covered the trunks instead. Had I done that, they'd still be alive today.

After that freeze, Moon Valley Nurseries were giving 10% discounts on Ficus trees.

Gee, it's a little strange to be talking about morning frost and freeze warnings when it's 115 degrees out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona