Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:45 PM

37 posts, read 204,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Funny; I have never had a problem with the authorities anywhere in Mohave County------and, I look like a biker/hippie/redneck.

The one traffic citation I did receive I flat deserved-------for passing in a 'No Passing' zone on Az 95 between LHC and Parker. That particular section of road used to be a passing zone but ADOT restriped it shortly before I drove through there.

Oh well.

If you have a NICE car or Great Boat you will be ticketed because you cannot stick around to fight the charge. In Havasu the corrupt Judge does not allow telephone or council only appearences. He will require you to come back to his court for any and all minor court dealing. This means a minimum of four trips just to get to trial and more than likely more.

This practice is highly unorthodox for any court, in fact it is NEVER done by ANY other court for minor arrests and even minor felony.

You can be upset all you want or disagree. It was THE COURT IN HAVASU that was reprimanded by the STATE SUPREME COURT ETHICS COMMITTEE. It was the HAVASU MAGISTRATE that stated he wanted to make his court the most PROFITABLE. That is PUBLIC RECORD.

Beware. The police union has issued a word of mouth directive to send people to post website such as this in an attempt to keep the city from getting a civilian review board over the police.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,031,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist beware View Post
If you have a NICE car or Great Boat you will be ticketed because you cannot stick around to fight the charge. In Havasu the corrupt Judge does not allow telephone or council only appearences. He will require you to come back to his court for any and all minor court dealing. This means a minimum of four trips just to get to trial and more than likely more.

This practice is highly unorthodox for any court, in fact it is NEVER done by ANY other court for minor arrests and even minor felony.

You can be upset all you want or disagree. It was THE COURT IN HAVASU that was reprimanded by the STATE SUPREME COURT ETHICS COMMITTEE. It was the HAVASU MAGISTRATE that stated he wanted to make his court the most PROFITABLE. That is PUBLIC RECORD.

Beware. The police union has issued a word of mouth directive to send people to post website such as this in an attempt to keep the city from getting a civilian review board over the police.
Unfortunately; what you just described tends to happen in many smaller towns out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:32 PM

572 posts, read 2,480,437 times
All of this in the fine town of Lake Havasu? My Home (http://www.newtohavasu.net - broken link)! Alot of this is true. But i disagree with the out of town (plates) will get you a ticket. This time of year most of the plates are from out of state from the snowbirds. I do hope this place can clean up its act, it really does need to get it together. I think what they are doing is trying to get the place back to a family oriented town where familys will come to enjoy and not the party animals. Time will tell.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:46 PM

Everything I have said is a matter of record. Time to clean up the corruption in Havasu.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:16 PM

Do you think they ever will clean up the corruption?

Old 02-27-2008, 12:43 AM

The city needs to get a civilian oversight board for the police, revise to city code to require the position of Magistrate to be filled by a member of the bar, and to revise the bahavior code to be constitutional.

Also make the police hand out "how to report a bad cop" with every police encounter.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:12 AM

54,482 posts, read 33,790,448 times
The desert regions of Arizona, especially along the Colorado River, are not for everybody. Ilewin, you probably visited Lake Havasu sometime during the cool months from October through early May and you thought this is better than Chicago's freezing weather, but the mild falls, winters, and springs come with a price in the summer.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:41 AM

13,167 posts, read 21,729,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist beware View Post
The city needs to get a civilian oversight board for the police, revise to city code to require the position of Magistrate to be filled by a member of the bar, and to revise the bahavior code to be constitutional.

Also make the police hand out "how to report a bad cop" with every police encounter.
Why? None of that is standard behavior in any city. I don't know anything about Lake Havasu politics, but I do know that city magistrates are commonly NOT members of the bar. Often they're community leaders, such as retired chief of police, know the city and court inside out, and truly have the best interests of the city and its residents at heart. And while they may not be bar members, they do receive training for this position. One does NOT need to be an attorney to know a city and its laws, and lawyers can be just as corrupt any other profession, and often are.

Secondly, the city magistrate is appointed by the city council whose members are elected by the city residents. The magistrate can be removed at any time by an action from city council, so there already is a process in place for dealing with a bad judge. If your opinions were shared by the majority of residents of LHC, the problem would be fixed at the next election, would it not?

Old 02-27-2008, 02:01 PM

30 posts, read 131,562 times
Speaking of the police: This was in Havasu's Today's News Herald today...
http://havasunews.com/articles/2008/02/27/news/doc47c4f86bdf215682996118.txt

Old 02-27-2008, 03:42 PM

What all of the cracking down is doing is this!!! Its thinning the herd and the herd needs to be thinned its to crowded on the Lake. The good will stay and the bad will leave.
Thats what i hope will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: