U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 07:06 PM

37,509 posts, read 47,828,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-AZ View Post
Moving to Sierra vista in summer 2012 (my mom lives there, thats why Im going there.) I currently have 5 and 2 year old boys, dont know yet if thats it or not. So I was wondering what its like there. Schools? Activities for children (sports?)? What are some good mini vacations (long weekend trips somewhere)? What are some other vacations (other then visiting family and stuff)? Whats the weather like (like monsoon season?)? Anything else? Well be coming from Chicago. Thanks.

EDIT:Also what are some areas that I should look into/avoid. etc? Im not exactly sure how the areas in SV and Chicago are different, but in Chicago the neighborhhods tend to be divided by race and stuff, like some neighborhoods are more white, black, hispanic, asian, etc. Is that like in Sierra Vista too? If so my family is white, but were currently living in an area in Chicago that has grown more and more hispanic, not that Im against that, I just perfer it if we live in a white area in SV, that way my family can actually talk with our neighbors and stuff. Im not racists or anything by the way.
Sierra Vista is way too small for that kind of segregation. And even in the big AZ cities, it is not common. Things here tend to divide along how much income you have. So in SV you may find you live next to any of the above. SV is going to be more diverse than many places because of the military presence there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 03:49 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,263,707 times
I don't know if you are familiar with it but you might want to try Craig's List in Sierra Vista and see what you come up with.

craigslist: sierra vista classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Just another Vet~I served there a lifetime ago in the 60's.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:47 PM

61 posts, read 129,813 times
I agree with most of what's already been said. Personally this area doesn't appeal to me, and my spouse and I are planning to move north in a few years as a result. Compared to a big city, Sierra Vista (SV) is safe. I agree with that. I once accidentally left my front door unlocked all day while at work and I came home and nothing had happened.

However, I do respectfully disagree on three points made by others here:

1. Great schools: The schools here are not real super for a town this size and for a town that has the advantage of a military base in it's backyard. Some schools in the area out-perform others, but generally speaking, compared to some other states I've researched, the schools here are not that good. Don't let the rankings fool you. The kids test well, but that's only because they are only taught to the test. Most of these kids don't retain anything beyond "the test" because their teachers are pushed to stress "the test" more than actual retention of the information.

2. Lots for kids to do: There isn't much for kids to do here unless they have a very specialized interest such as sports, dance, theater, or skating/cycling/skateboarding. The mall is very small and offers little. There are more offerings for very young children, like our playgrounds and parks and our college and library do special things for young kids. But teenagers have very little to do.

3. Great restaurants: Admittedly this argument depends on your definition of "great restaurants", but for the most part all we have here in town are chain restaurants with okay food at best and usually horrendous service. There are a handful of small, privately owned restaurants, but many of those are only so-so. People in this area are very stingy with their money (probably because of the high cost of living), so most of the smaller restaurants sacrifice truly good food to make the costs appeal to pocketbooks so they can survive in this area. As an example, a chef who won on Hell's Kitchen tried to open up a truly high-end restaurant that promised genuinely great food. Before the plans were even on paper, our newspaper was posting opinions of citizens who just reamed this man's efforts top to bottom. They complained how expensive it would be to eat there and that people in this area couldn't afford that. The restaurant never opened, which had nothing to do with those comments, but it gives you a sampling of the attitudes in this area. There are just a few genuinely good small restaurants in the area like Jackson's Deli and The German Cafe just to name two. If your definition of "great restaurants" is Chili's, Applebees, Texas Roadhouse and fast-food joints like McDonald's and Arby's, then you'll LOVE the food selections here, and that's genuinely not meant to seem snarky.

My opinions come across very negative, and I admit my own distaste for the area probably shines through, so take my comments with a grain of salt. In the end it's all about personal preferences. Most people who live here, love it here and there ARE things to love about this area. The mountains are beautiful. If you don't like cold weather, it never gets too cold here so it's great for that preference. (I'm actually a freak in that I like four REAL seasons and cold weather, hence moving north). I love how this town isn't so segregated by race like some other parts of the country tend to be. Monsoons are beautiful. The whole landscape changes once the rains come. Not to mention the rains bring temporary relief from the ridiculously hot summer days here. I really am not a hot weather person. I ended up here totally by mistake. Literally. We ended up here and I've been stuck here since, biding my time to get out of here. Mostly for me it's a climate issue. I'm fair skinned and I'm highly heat sensitive. Can't be outside most of the year here for fear of burning (even WITH sunblock) or getting heat stroke.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:19 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,630,867 times
I agree with WannaBeWisco on every point--word for word! Wanna--I think you gave a fair critique of SV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona