Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2007, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 45,848 times

Advertisements

My family is considering moving to AZ. I have visted Scottsdale and Chandler plenty if times and need help. I'm looking for honest opinions on both towns. The information I'm looking for is quality of people, crime, Catholic schools and location to live in both areas.
If we move we will be looking at gated communities. Some areas I liked were Gainey, McCormick, and Stonegate in Scottsdale and in Chandler was San Marcos, and basicly Ocotillo area. I don't know where to start to make a decision on which town to live in, any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 01:21 PM

69 posts, read 280,738 times
Hi Mom4girls!

Depending on the age of your girls, there are some great Catholic schools in both areas; however, if you are looking to live in a place where your kids can transition from primary (St. Thomas) to secondary education (Xavier, Notre Dame) without a ton of commuting, Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Arcadia may be the better bet for you. Check out this link to the Diocese of Phoenix and it will give you some great info on their schools.

Catholic Schools

Chandler also has good Catholic schools, i.e., St. Mary's (primary) and Seton (secondary). If your kids are in high school or getting close, Xavier is an all girls school.

If you are looking for a more midwestern/homey/friendly feel, my opinion is Chandler (Ocotillo area) is your best bet. If you have more of a high-end lifestyle, i.e., country-clubs and the like, Scottsdale may be more to your liking.

I believe Scottsdale has a lower crime rate than Chandler (check the city data on this site) but Ocotillo is a really great area. Have you checked out Las Sendas in N/E Mesa? There are some spectacular areas there in a beautiful high desert environment. The only drawback is the travel distance to Catholic schools.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with...good luck!!

Last edited by IMoveU; 07-06-2007 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: made mistake

Old 07-06-2007, 02:10 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Both cities are great to live in.

Chandler is more of a "family type" atmosphere while Scottsdale has more wealthy singles and retirees. Don't get me wrong, Scottsdale has plenty of families too but Chandler is generally considered more family friendly.

Both have Catholic schools that are top-notch.

The gated communities you listed are all fairly affordable (except Gainey Ranch, that place is UBER expensive) and each are very nice.

Crime is lower in Scottsdale but neither place has a very high crime rate to begin with.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the info. My girls are young so my focus is primary Catholic schools. Does anyone have info on San Marcos in Chandler. I know the development is nice but I heard the area is alittle shady. Has it gotten better or will it?

Old 07-06-2007, 05:41 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,716 times
Scottsdale is very expensive to live at. I kind of like Chandler. The people aren't so snobby there, as some are in Scottsdale. But this is your choice, my dear. Go where you're heart desires to be.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:56 PM

San Marcos is not Scottsdale by a long shot but I have a few friends living in San Marcos and are quite happy. St. Mary's is a great primary Catholic school so I don't see any problem there. It really depends on where you want to live. The market for homes is certainly softer in the prime areas of Chandler than the prime areas of Scottsdale and that should be an indicator of the overall desirability of the respective areas.

You will get more house for the same money in Chandler and pay more money for the same house in Scottsdale. The north-Scotssdale area is a looong way from allot of things; Chandler is a pretty easy commute to most things. I would be at ease walking at night outside of Grayhawk; pretty anxious outside of San Marcos.

I guess I would echo Leana76 and say "go where your heart desires to be" :-)

Old 07-06-2007, 07:19 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4girls View Post
My family is considering moving to AZ. I have visted Scottsdale and Chandler plenty if times and need help. I'm looking for honest opinions on both towns. The information I'm looking for is quality of people, crime, Catholic schools and location to live in both areas.
If we move we will be looking at gated communities. Some areas I liked were Gainey, McCormick, and Stonegate in Scottsdale and in Chandler was San Marcos, and basicly Ocotillo area. I don't know where to start to make a decision on which town to live in, any help is appreciated!
If you are wealthy and don't mind paying almost double for the exact same home in Scottsdale I'd choose that one.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:24 PM

I checked crime rates in both areas. If Chandler is "family friendly" why are there so many child molestation, sexual assaults and violent assaults? Not saying Scottsdale doesn't have any, but it is far less. I understand these are suburbs of a city and its not going to be crime free it seems more violent in Chandler than Scottsdale. Does anyone have any input on this subject?

Old 07-07-2007, 05:15 PM

People are not raped, murdered, kidnapped or assaulted in Chandler anymore than any other city with the same demographics. Most physical crimes are committed family on family, neighbor on neighbor or transient on transient (I don't mean homeless people, I mean people with no familial or property attachment in the area they reside, i.e., young male renters); property crimes do regulary cross neighborhood boundaries but even the most primitive in our society understand the concept of economic equillibrium and the imbalance that results driving from South Chandler to North Scottsdale at $3.00/gal to do their deeds.

So, Mom4kids, you might find walking to the liquor store at midnight in downtown Chandler may result in a higher likelihood of being r/m/k/a'd than say, Gainey Ranch; but the demographics of San Marcos v. Gainey Ranch isn't even close.

The question I think begs to be asked is the one you and your family should ponder... "based on the demographic disparities and relative crime statistics for the two areas we are considering...do we want more home and less peace of mind or viceversa?

As the old saying goes..."you can't have your cake and eat it too"! :-)

Old 07-14-2007, 01:29 AM

62 posts, read 266,884 times
Quote:
If you are wealthy and don't mind paying almost double for the exact same home in Scottsdale I'd choose that one.
Its not just the physical home you consider when relocating. You should take into account community, proximity to activities, local parks, shopping, entertainment, etc. Scottsdale in general is much richer in these departments than Chandler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona