Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 PM

351 posts, read 975,267 times

Advertisements

According to FBI statistics over the last 5 years, Tucson has a much higher murder and general crime rate than *every* town south of Tucson. Pheonix is even worse. If you think Tucson is safe, you should have absolutely no concerns about visiting one of the towns further south.

By the way, the gang activity south of Nogales pales in comparison to what's going in in Jauarez, Mexico (south of El Paso), and yet El Paso is considered one of the safest cities to live in. Just goes to show you that you can't judge a border city by the level of crime in the neighboring city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 08:37 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsoto View Post
According to FBI statistics over the last 5 years, Tucson has a much higher murder and general crime rate than *every* town south of Tucson. Pheonix is even worse. If you think Tucson is safe, you should have absolutely no concerns about visiting one of the towns further south.

By the way, the gang activity south of Nogales pales in comparison to what's going in in Jauarez, Mexico (south of El Paso), and yet El Paso is considered one of the safest cities to live in. Just goes to show you that you can't judge a border city by the level of crime in the neighboring city.
Many years ago, when I was a Policeman, there was a nearby town of about 2,000 people. One guy killed his wife and children and then himself. That meant their FBI Statistics made them one of the three most dangerous places in the country. So much for statistics.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I lived in that area (SE of Sierra Vista in the county close to Palominos)until not quite 3 years ago and my wife was born in Tombstone and still has family in Cochise County. We relocated to get out of the wind and heat and have 4 seasons again.
We were 9 miles from the border. Yes we did have illegals crossing our property from time to time. Impact on us was almost "0" except if they tried to steal one of our old cars on acreage that we had. That happened about 5 times. There are chases when the Border Patrol or other agencies try to pull them over too. In one case an overloaded PU lost control after it got to town and killed a couple of local people sitting at a stop light.
There are drugs being transported over the border and Cochise County is a very popular place for that to happen with all the government property right on the border. But most would never know about it.
The biggest impact that I noted was that 4x4 SUVs and pickups could be a target for theft.
A couple of times while we lived there they warned people with those types of vehicles to watch them closely as they were being stolen on a regular basis to transport drugs and illegals over the borders. I saw a few of them recovered and after making that trip they were pretty much trash.
The rancher was very outspoken about illegals and drug traffickers in the area. His ranch was right on the border. I suspect he ran into some drug types, tried to make them leave thinking they were illegals and got shot.
I would not consider the area even average to my smaller hometown I grew up in N CA for violence.
And just for your information unless it's changed a lot since I left the border towns in Mexico with AZ are not that bad. Not at all what you hear about in TX. And many people go to Rocky Point to vacation and even live without problems. I know a guy who goes there all the time with his family and he too lives in Tucson. No problems for years.
Thank you, I live in Sierra Vista and can see that half loaf beyond Naco from my living room. There is zero impact on my daily life, in fact I see fewer hispanics here than Tucson or Phoenix.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Many years ago, when I was a Policeman, there was a nearby town of about 2,000 people. One guy killed his wife and children and then himself. That meant their FBI Statistics made them one of the three most dangerous places in the country. So much for statistics.
That doesn't mean the statistics are inaccurate. If a complete psychopath goes into a town of 10 people and kills everyone there, then yea, the murder rate will be 100%, which is an accurate murder rate statistic for that year. I suppose the thing to do is to look at the crime statistics over several years if you are considering moving to a very small town. Besides, what else do you have to go on? You could take someone's advice on the internet, but to me, hard statistics paint a better picture than someone's story. Besides, the person providing the advice could be the very same psychopath that killed those 10 people.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:42 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Thank you, I live in Sierra Vista and can see that half loaf beyond Naco from my living room. There is zero impact on my daily life, in fact I see fewer hispanics here than Tucson or Phoenix.
What's the "half loaf"?

Ken

Old 05-30-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
What's the "half loaf"?

Ken
The hill behind Naco, looks like half a loaf, like the one in Brazil Sugar Loaf

Old 05-30-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsoto View Post
That doesn't mean the statistics are inaccurate. If a complete psychopath goes into a town of 10 people and kills everyone there, then yea, the murder rate will be 100%, which is an accurate murder rate statistic for that year. I suppose the thing to do is to look at the crime statistics over several years if you are considering moving to a very small town. Besides, what else do you have to go on? You could take someone's advice on the internet, but to me, hard statistics paint a better picture than someone's story. Besides, the person providing the advice could be the very same psychopath that killed those 10 people.
But i live within sight of the border and see little evidence of your statistics

Old 05-30-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
But i live within sight of the border and see little evidence of your statistics
I'm not sure I understand your point... I'm not talking about crime rate in Mexico, I'm talking about crime rate in the US.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:11 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
The hill behind Naco, looks like half a loaf, like the one in Brazil Sugar Loaf
Ah - by "behind" do you mean EAST of or SOUTH of?

The reason I ask is because we noted a very beautiful mountain that dominates the landscape across the border at the southern end of the San Pedro Valley (looks like it stretches most of the way across the valley). Don't know it's name but it's VERY IMPRESSIVE. I thought perhaps that's what you were referring to.

Ken

Old 06-01-2011, 05:02 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
We've spent part of the last three winters in an RV in SE Arizona (Benson) and traveled the area extensively, even to remote, non-tourist locales. We never felt that we were in dangerous territory or hazardous situations even once with the exception of some wild traffic in Phoenix that we encountered on the way to visiting a friend in Surprise.

Great Mexican food all over the state. Folks are friendly. Border Patrol stop queues are a hassle but one look at us, our AK plates and they wave us on. Enjoy your time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona