U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:10 AM

19 posts, read 41,073 times

Advertisements

Wind Farm in Kingman Arizona.
I am reading about this Wind Farm that is going up in Kingman. I also am reading remarks from people who say it is going to be terrible because it is already windy in Kingman, and that it will increase the wind everyday, all day, once they get going. Doe's anyone has first hand information on this project. I know it is going up, I was just wondering how it will really affect us on a day to day basis.

Thanks!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 09:38 AM

12,536 posts, read 20,398,154 times
There is no way a wind farm is going to increase wind. Not sure what comments you are reading. There's one comment from 2008 on the KDM website that says "if you put two fans in a row it doubles the wind speed". Well, duh. That's if you use a fan that's powered by electricity. Turbines extract power from the wind to create electricity. So if anything, they're slowing the wind down by sucking power out of it.

The biggest problem with wind turbines is killing birds, especially the hawks and eagles we have in the area.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:25 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,163,816 times
But in a way the killing of the birds will assist nature by providing grocery's for the other predators in the area.

natures way of caring for each other

Old 02-27-2011, 11:01 AM

183 posts, read 586,870 times
I have first hand experience living near wind turbines. They are noisy, to the point that some nights even having the windows closed does not keep the sound out. It sounds like we live next to a busy trucking company, an airstrip, or a highway. Not 24/7, but a significant amount of the time. We had a front row seat watching the turbines be installed. The amount of taxpayer money, manpower, and energy used to to get those things up and running, plus the outside power required maintain them, is not worth the small energy contribution they put out, in my opinion. And, who knows what their presence has done to our property values? No one wants to talk about that. I did not move out to the country to have to experience this
I would be very interested to know where in Kingman this turbine project is going up, as I sure don't want this happening to me again if we decide to move there.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:11 PM

12,536 posts, read 20,398,154 times
It's like 10 or 12 miles outside of Kingman city limits, so won't affect the town at all. There is a residential area out there though, Valle Vista which may be fairly close. But I doubt it'll be too close, because there's an awful lot of open land out here.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:10 PM

260 posts, read 482,098 times
All these wind turbines use rare earth magnets. The rare earth metals they mine in Mongolia, and china. Outside Baotou Mongolia, there is a 5 mile long toxic lake from processing all these rare minerals, and many miles around it the animals and plants are dieing, and children born with soft bones, people are sick, it is an environmental disaster.
In my opinion it would better, and much cheaper, if they would build an electromagnetic power plant outside of Kingman.The power plant would work on the same basis as an atom. I think very few alchemists, or Dan Winter would know, that all atoms consume subtle energies, but some atoms generate, and put out much, much more energies, than what they consume.
It just happen, that a power plant like this, look like an Egyptian Djed pillar, however I dont think the Egyptian djeds were power plants, but maybe before Egypt, in Atlantis they had djed pillars on their ships instead of sails? I think, on a few acres outside of Kingman if they put
a thousand 15-20 feet high power plants,
a field of djed pillars, that could power a million homes. But almost anyone can build smaller units also in their garage, for personal use.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:11 PM

190 posts, read 585,853 times
Well, I believe the value of wind turbines has been studied many times over. The cost to build and maintain significantly reduce the output value.

To KDog....ahhh yes the laws of thermodynamics.....
To mosesmoses.....look up the laws of thermodynamics...

Old 02-27-2011, 09:40 PM

308 posts, read 748,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesmoses View Post
All these wind turbines use rare earth magnets. The rare earth metals they mine in Mongolia, and china. Outside Baotou Mongolia, there is a 5 mile long toxic lake from processing all these rare minerals, and many miles around it the animals and plants are dieing, and children born with soft bones, people are sick, it is an environmental disaster.
In my opinion it would better, and much cheaper, if they would build an electromagnetic power plant outside of Kingman.The power plant would work on the same basis as an atom. I think very few alchemists, or Dan Winter would know, that all atoms consume subtle energies, but some atoms generate, and put out much, much more energies, than what they consume.
It just happen, that a power plant like this, look like an Egyptian Djed pillar, however I dont think the Egyptian djeds were power plants, but maybe before Egypt, in Atlantis they had djed pillars on their ships instead of sails? I think, on a few acres outside of Kingman if they put
a thousand 15-20 feet high power plants,
a field of djed pillars, that could power a million homes. But almost anyone can build smaller units also in their garage, for personal use.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:52 PM

308 posts, read 748,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
Well, I believe the value of wind turbines has been studied many times over. The cost to build and maintain significantly reduce the output value.

Right, Mike. And what many don't realize is that when the wind stops blowing (temporarily) the power generated for the grid by wind turbines needs to be made up with other sources. Nuclear plants, though VERY efficient, take a long time to ramp up for more power, and by then the wind is blowing again. In order to meet the need, fossil fuel plants are brought online to fill the gap. The grid needs the power NOW, not whenever the wind decides to blow.

So, in order to be able to say we are using wind power, we have brought back many of the inefficient oil fired units that so many were horrified by in the first place. Doesn't make much sense, when nuclear energy has proven to be both safe and efficient.

Hopefully someday, we will be able to store electricity on a large scale, and so be able to efficiently use wind power to its full potential. Until then, I don't believe we should be subsidizing the building of windmills. We have many other things to spend our money on.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:08 PM

69 posts, read 207,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoshoewalkr View Post
I have first hand experience living near wind turbines. They are noisy, to the point that some nights even having the windows closed does not keep the sound out. It sounds like we live next to a busy trucking company, an airstrip, or a highway. Not 24/7, but a significant amount of the time. We had a front row seat watching the turbines be installed. The amount of taxpayer money, manpower, and energy used to to get those things up and running, plus the outside power required maintain them, is not worth the small energy contribution they put out, in my opinion. And, who knows what their presence has done to our property values? No one wants to talk about that. I did not move out to the country to have to experience this
I would be very interested to know where in Kingman this turbine project is going up, as I sure don't want this happening to me again if we decide to move there.

Too much erroneous information here. In most cases, these "Wind Farms" are owned by private companies and not the taxpayers. They "sell" power produced to the power companies. Outside power to maintain them? I think not. They produce MORE energy than it takes to maintain them! Yes, they do produce some noise. If you object to the noise, don't move close to them. Yes, they do kill some birds but, we also need energy just as car accidents kill people but, we need cars. Energy will cost more because the "Green People" force power companies, through legislation, to increase the percentage of power they purchase to be from "Green" Producers ergo, wind generated power. You will see more "Wind Farms". Get used to it!

Last edited by mglindo; 02-27-2011 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: To make clearer reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona