U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 03:55 AM

3 posts, read 13,692 times

Advertisements

Hello,

First post. As part of a cross country road trip, one of my days of driving was going to be from Flagstaff to Monument Valley to Cortez, CO, with a stop at the Four Corners Monument. I intend to start early, leaving from Flagstaff at 7 am so that I can spend a few hours at Monument Valley. I then figure an hour at Four Corners before heading to Cortez getting there at 7 or 8pm. Is this realistic? Am I missing anything as far as travel time or time needed at the two stops before Cortez? If I am, can you suggest a more realistic timeframe for this trip? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 01:40 PM

6,551 posts, read 6,901,302 times
I'd definitely top off your gas tank in Tuba City. And then maybe again later if you have the chance.

Maybe bring your lunch with you or perhaps get it in Tuba City and eat it later. There is probably an option or two near Monument Valley, but I'd rather have something with me in case the options are not exactly to preference.

Your timetable is realistic with 2 stops.

If you want to add a stop at a ruin (at Wapati NM or Navaho-Betakin Ruin) or time at the Cameron trading post and the Little Colorado river overview or the Goulding trading post the timetable will get tighter, maybe longer.

Carry plenty of drinking water (not just for normal drinking desire, but in case of emergency) and don't push the car (speed + climate control) too hard, you don't want to overheat out there.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:51 PM

849 posts, read 2,782,509 times
definitely realistic. Just make sure you take some time in Monument Valley and get off the main road to check out some of the overlooks. Don't just drive through on the main roads. If you were going to add any stops, I'd suggest checking out Goosenecks State park. Four Corners sounds cool, but I don't know if it's really worth the extra time as a bypass.I'd rather do drive up the Moki Dugway, take some pics, drive back down, check out Goosenecks, then continue on to Cortez. I was out that way last year, and I had heard from some people Four Corners is a "novelty" stop, and isn't really a big deal. I steered clear of it and spent more time in Monument Valley.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:17 PM

9,092 posts, read 18,233,290 times
Unless you have your heart set on the four corners it's a really nice drive from monument valley up to bluff UT on the 163 ........ then it's not a bad trek through UT into cortez

I went from monument valley to durango (near purgatory) and it wasn't that bad of a drive .... stopping at cortez would of cut some time off - starting at flag would of added some back on (and then some)

if you get out of flagstaff at 7 you should be in monument valley around 10:30 at the latest .... a couple hours there and you are on your way

we left monument valley around 10:30 - did lunch in UT - visited a client in dolores, CO around 4 and then made it into durango around 7:30

with a pregnant woman and 13 month old child we definitely weren't setting any land records either

Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 PM

17,541 posts, read 23,944,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayemes View Post
Hello,

First post. As part of a cross country road trip, one of my days of driving was going to be from Flagstaff to Monument Valley to Cortez, CO, with a stop at the Four Corners Monument. I intend to start early, leaving from Flagstaff at 7 am so that I can spend a few hours at Monument Valley. I then figure an hour at Four Corners before heading to Cortez getting there at 7 or 8pm. Is this realistic? Am I missing anything as far as travel time or time needed at the two stops before Cortez? If I am, can you suggest a more realistic timeframe for this trip? Thanks.
Welcome to the forum Jayemes! Funny you should ask about Monument Valley, I was just through there this afternoon! (I live in the Grand Junction area) You'll have plenty of time! I've been on this road many times.

Flagstaff via U.S. 89 to U.S. 160 turnoff is 65 miles, then eastbound on 160 another twelve to Tuba City. Kayenta is another 75 miles or so east. The monument is twenty miles north of Kayenta on U.S.163. U.S. 163 and Utah state highway 163 through Mexican hat, Bluff, and Aneth is about 80 miles or so to the Colorado border.

Note: A good place to stretch your legs and get some coffee or a soft drink is the Burger King on the west side of Kayenta, right off the highway. They have an interesting display regarding the Navajo "Code Talkers". Worth your while, plus right in the middle of the display they have a computer and are online.

Coming out of the Four Corners monument, then hit 160 northbound and it leads you right into Cortez. The monument to Cortez is less than an hours drive. Piece of cake!

Old 03-28-2011, 04:59 AM

3 posts, read 13,692 times
Quote:
Note: A good place to stretch your legs and get some coffee or a soft drink is the Burger King on the west side of Kayenta, right off the highway. They have an interesting display regarding the Navajo "Code Talkers". Worth your while, plus right in the middle of the display they have a computer and are online.
Yes, didn't mention it but I was going to stop there. Glad to know it is worth it.

Quote:
[What] I'd rather do is drive up the Moki Dugway, take some pics, drive back down, check out Goosenecks, then continue on to Cortez. I was out that way last year, and I had heard from some people Four Corners is a "novelty" stop, and isn't really a big deal. I steered clear of it and spent more time in Monument Valley.
Thanks, if I can make it work time wise, you just improved my route. Forgot about the Moki Dugway and didn't realize I would be so close to Natural Bridges Natl. Monument. I think I will now skip Four Corners, check these two things out and then figure out were to camp or stay close by. Blanding looks promising. Then, next day head for Cortez and ultimately Mesa Verde Park.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:04 PM

4,211 posts, read 13,343,765 times
though only a few miles, the Moqui Dugway is one of the great drives in the country.....it's a state highway, but it goes to good dirt for the climb up....if you have a capable vehicle, drive out the five extra miles to Muley Point from the top of the dugway (west turn at the top) for an even better view...to me, it's among the greatest views in the world, but it's easy to like so. UT!.....

yes, skip Four Corners....

Old 03-28-2011, 11:43 PM

4,923 posts, read 8,082,024 times
The Four Corners isn't anything but a plaque in a square that's about 10' x 10' and encompasses the Four Corners. It's not really worth the stop unless you want a photo op and have each of your hands, and each of your feet in a different state at the same time.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 PM

12,413 posts, read 20,153,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
The Four Corners isn't anything but a plaque in a square that's about 10' x 10' and encompasses the Four Corners. It's not really worth the stop unless you want a photo op and have each of your hands, and each of your feet in a different state at the same time.
Or maybe just take a snapshot at the sign out front because you're too cheap to pay to go inside.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona