Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:21 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey2 View Post
This is something that really surprised me to be honest coming over as a "foreigner". How people who I have come into contact with are VERY quick to say they are not Arizonan and why they feel other states are better.
To be honest on arrival I could see why people were quite pessimestic, but now being here for 8mths, it has got to that point where I the "foreigner" have been suggesting places to try/visit to people who have been here for much longer than I and discussing the things I rather like about the State.
That kind of attitude is pretty typical of immigrant populations. Whether they came from Mexico or Illinois they act the same, clinging to the old ways, longing for the food, the culture, the sports teams, the vibe of the old country. Three fourth of "Arizonans" did not live here 30 or so years ago. Maybe 90% of them know nothing about the state, its history, or even much outside what's in their little suburban paradise. It will take a while before we grow our own natives. My kids were born in AZ and feel part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 11:13 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,867,310 times
Some of the negativity is justified, but at least our laws aren't too bad. I've lived here for over 20 years, still refuse to identify myself as a native since I was born in Fresno.

Maybe if I were 100% Caucasian growing up, I'd probably wouldn't have a dark outlook for this place. It wasn't until I moved and lived in Phoenix that I truly realized not all of Arizona was that bad.

The culture shock between Kingman and Phoenix were like night and day. I've hung out with real pot heads in my early college days, not the ones that claim to be "stoners" but live off of meth and booze. Women were friendlier and inviting for an average joe like myself who didn't get any action in Kingman. I could walk into a restaurant without having people stare at you for long periods of time. Maybe I'm biased but if that is what city life is like, sign me up! Phoenix has it's share of crime and shootings but I think that it merely about where you are at. Been trying to move for a few years but the job market out of state isn't looking good.

Texas was actually my place to live in, still trying to work my way into the Oil industry in Houston. Heard mixed opinions about that place though.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:30 PM

53 posts, read 212,077 times
Here is the problem I see with this idea. Only 28% of Arizonans were born here while in Texas 75% are native Texans. When I moved here I felt I belonged here, but I get tired of those who have moved from other states, mostly California and the northwest, than complain and bring their liberal leanings here. I came to become part of Arizona and not make Arizona, God forbid, like Massachusetts.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:45 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,897,397 times
i cant understand not being proud of Arizona

Old 06-15-2011, 08:53 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,449,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
i cant understand not being proud of Arizona
Of some things about this state? Yes. Of the state as a whole? Not by a mile.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:26 AM

782 posts, read 1,109,718 times
We moved to Texas when I was 3 years old. I lived in Texas til I was over 30 and I lived in all over Texas... Texas Pride is real and it comes from the fact that Texans fought for their freedoms and for their independence from Mexico. Texas was a Republic before it was a state. Many natives have reletives that fought and died for those freedoms and in the collective Texas mind it wasn't that long ago. Also, people want to come to Texas to grow their families and their business. Texas is viewed as a place with opportunity and choices. Texans take care of their own...Senior citizens can claim their residence as a homestead and not have their property taxes increased, resident veterans that enlisted from Texas get a free college education at any state college. Texas vets are also entitled to purchase land at premimum interest rates. Texas has 4 veterans homes for Texas vets. But keep this in mind..if you weren't born in Texas you will never be a native and in some folks minds your children aren't either even if they were born there! But if you stay and are a productive member of society (pay your taxes, join the military, keep your business affairs straight..) your grandchildren might be. This is not a white or mexican or german or any other way of thinking it is the Texas way of thinking.
Arizona is a refugee state..People come to Arizona to get away from someplace else and if they find another place that's better they may not stay. There is no collective memory in Arizona..Arizona will have achieved 100 years of statehood next year..I have not heard one word of planning for a celebration of this momentous event...School children writing essays about "Why I am proud to be from Arizona", "What Arizona means to me"..etc to be read by the child at the Centennial celebration and to ride with the Grand marshall of the centennial parade, no Centennial Queen..no bumper stickers.."100 years and proud.. Arizona!" it isn't even listed on the front page of the website.. and it's only 8 months away.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:07 PM

7,191 posts, read 9,256,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
We moved to Texas when I was 3 years old. I lived in Texas til I was over 30 and I lived in all over Texas... Texas Pride is real and it comes from the fact that Texans fought for their freedoms and for their independence from Mexico. Texas was a Republic before it was a state. Many natives have reletives that fought and died for those freedoms and in the collective Texas mind it wasn't that long ago. Also, people want to come to Texas to grow their families and their business. Texas is viewed as a place with opportunity and choices. Texans take care of their own...Senior citizens can claim their residence as a homestead and not have their property taxes increased, resident veterans that enlisted from Texas get a free college education at any state college. Texas vets are also entitled to purchase land at premimum interest rates. Texas has 4 veterans homes for Texas vets. But keep this in mind..if you weren't born in Texas you will never be a native and in some folks minds your children aren't either even if they were born there! But if you stay and are a productive member of society (pay your taxes, join the military, keep your business affairs straight..) your grandchildren might be. This is not a white or mexican or german or any other way of thinking it is the Texas way of thinking.
Arizona is a refugee state..People come to Arizona to get away from someplace else and if they find another place that's better they may not stay. There is no collective memory in Arizona..Arizona will have achieved 100 years of statehood next year..I have not heard one word of planning for a celebration of this momentous event...School children writing essays about "Why I am proud to be from Arizona", "What Arizona means to me"..etc to be read by the child at the Centennial celebration and to ride with the Grand marshall of the centennial parade, no Centennial Queen..no bumper stickers.."100 years and proud.. Arizona!" it isn't even listed on the front page of the website.. and it's only 8 months away.
FYI: There are plans for the centennial. The Museum of Mines & Minerals is closing. They plan to replace it with the Arizona Museum or something like that. You can google Arizona Centennial

Arizona Centennial | Celebrate the Arizona Experience

Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 PM

7,188 posts, read 4,774,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That kind of attitude is pretty typical of immigrant populations. Whether they came from Mexico or Illinois they act the same, clinging to the old ways, longing for the food, the culture, the sports teams, the vibe of the old country. Three fourth of "Arizonans" did not live here 30 or so years ago. Maybe 90% of them know nothing about the state, its history, or even much outside what's in their little suburban paradise. It will take a while before we grow our own natives. My kids were born in AZ and feel part of it.
Very good observation and it makes sense.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:25 AM

7,188 posts, read 4,774,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
Yes, you are right about the "Texas way of thinking", and that is precisely why I'm very happy to be back in Arizona after (reluctantly) living in WEST Texas for what has to be the two longest years of my life.

I met several Texans in AZ before moving to West Texas. I often wondered why these Texans went out of their way to emphasize that they were from EAST Texas. I was intrigued by the look on their faces when they found out we were transferred to West Texas. When we got to West Texas, I understood completely.

I've lived in AZ for 15 years and it has become home to me. I like my town and my neighbors. People here let you know how they feel about things in no uncertain terms. I prefer it that way, thank you.

I fail to see how Arizonans would benefit by acting like Texans. If something is wrong, then it is wrong and we need to address it. There is no need to sugar coat it with empty bravado. We know we have a few dumb A$$ES here and there (who doesn't?), and acting like Texans would only increase their numbers. Huddling around a state flag and turning a blind eye to underlying misery and sorriness is not our style.

Arizonans are Arizonans. We like to raise a little hell every now and then, we are a little nutty sometimes, and we welcome people from other states with open arms. To me, that makes us better than Texas any day of the week.

How's that for "Arizona Pride"?

Old 06-16-2011, 05:18 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,007,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Interesting article! Pat McMahon, a radio and tv personality, lectures business leaders and encourages state and business leaders to take more pride in Arizona and to "strut" like Texans do. This is a great point. The speaker discussed how many Arizona residents are pessimistic about their own state and fail to take pride in it. He compared it to Texas and how Texans take pride in their state and how many Texans have traveled to Arizona and enjoyed it but was surprised the locals were so negative. I think the speaker makes a great point and I think many Arizona residents are unnecessarily negative toward the state yet when the given the chance to move, they won't do so proving their true feelings toward the state. The bolded statement below is so indicative of this forum.

"He said it's not just us bashing on ourselves that's bad, but not standing up for the state when people talk negatively.
"We tell everybody about all of our mistakes," he said.
He cited the pessimistic attitudes displayed by Arizonans years ago when the Phoenix Suns joined the NBA in 1968. "Many people believed we were not large enough to support a professional sports team," he said.

"In Texas, they think they are the best, the strongest and the proudest, McMahon said, and Arizonans need to adapt that strut attitude."

Read more: Pat McMahon wants Arizonans to 'Strut' like Texans
Some people are stuck here and don't want to walk away from underwater mortgages. Simple as that. There might be many reasons why someone does not move on (in your time frame) that have nothing to do with liking it here. Believe it or not, some people really do not like it here and really would rather be somewhere else.

BTW, don't you find it somewhat "questionable" that a TV personality would have to actually ASK that Arizonans do this? People usually do what they feel like doing and it's a reflection of how they feel, at least when it comes to things like this.

Last edited by mistygrl092; 06-16-2011 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: add thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona