Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 10:57 AM

31 posts, read 126,662 times

Advertisements

Working in Glendale - where would you move to and why?

Need middle school and high school information, too.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 02:10 PM

117 posts, read 416,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needachange View Post
Working in Glendale - where would you move to and why?

Need middle school and high school information, too.

Thanks

Move to the area in Glendale that's in Ironwood H.S. and Marshall Ranch K-8

They have houses in all price ranges. Peoria School District is very good.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:14 PM

148 posts, read 847,886 times
I would move anywhere in the Arrowhead area. It is a nice family oriented area and although the schools in Phoenix have poor ratings overall compared with other states, I have heard that the Deer Valley school district is one of the better ones. Depending on your price range, the neighborhood called Sierra Verde is in my opinion the nicest in that area. It spans the square mile between Beardsley and Deer Valley Roads and 67th and 75th ave. We lived in that area for 6 years and just moved across 75th ave. because we wanted something bigger and couldn't afford it in Sierra Verde. Sierra Verde has beautiful grass green belts, a huge lake with ducks and walking paths throughout the entire neighborhood. There is a broad range of size of homes from 1300 sq. feet to 4000 sq. feet and there is even one part of it that is gated. I have lived in Phoenix my whole life except for going to college and think that Sierra Verde is the nicest. Sierra Verde has A LOT of families. The elementary school is Sierra Verde and the high school is Mountain Ridge. My children are not school age yet and so I don't know anything more about the schools. Sierra Verde is right by the 101 freeway and surrounded by a lot of shopping, restaunts, churches. Like I said, we just moved about a 1/2 mile down the road 5 months ago but since we crossed 75th ave, we are now in Peoria specifically Fletcher Heights. The neighborhood is nice but not nearly as nice as Sierra Verde but we were able to get way more for our money. I don't think the Peoria School districts have as good a reputation. Other neighborhoods to consider are Hillcrest and Arrowhead ranch.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantingoutofAz View Post
I would move anywhere in the Arrowhead area. It is a nice family oriented area and although the schools in Phoenix have poor ratings overall compared with other states, I have heard that the Deer Valley school district is one of the better ones. Depending on your price range, the neighborhood called Sierra Verde is in my opinion the nicest in that area. It spans the square mile between Beardsley and Deer Valley Roads and 67th and 75th ave. We lived in that area for 6 years and just moved across 75th ave. because we wanted something bigger and couldn't afford it in Sierra Verde. Sierra Verde has beautiful grass green belts, a huge lake with ducks and walking paths throughout the entire neighborhood. There is a broad range of size of homes from 1300 sq. feet to 4000 sq. feet and there is even one part of it that is gated. I have lived in Phoenix my whole life except for going to college and think that Sierra Verde is the nicest. Sierra Verde has A LOT of families. The elementary school is Sierra Verde and the high school is Mountain Ridge. My children are not school age yet and so I don't know anything more about the schools. Sierra Verde is right by the 101 freeway and surrounded by a lot of shopping, restaunts, churches. Like I said, we just moved about a 1/2 mile down the road 5 months ago but since we crossed 75th ave, we are now in Peoria specifically Fletcher Heights. The neighborhood is nice but not nearly as nice as Sierra Verde but we were able to get way more for our money. I don't think the Peoria School districts have as good a reputation. Other neighborhoods to consider are Hillcrest and Arrowhead ranch.

Hope that helps.

Peoria schools do have a good reputation check it out.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:27 PM

148 posts, read 847,886 times
Thanks for the correction. We hope to be out of Arizona before our kids have to go to school but it is nice to know that in case we stay Peoria does have good schools.

Old 09-04-2006, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantingoutofAz View Post
Thanks for the correction. We hope to be out of Arizona before our kids have to go to school but it is nice to know that in case we stay Peoria does have good schools.

Peoria the City is kind of rough in some areas, I would not send my kids to Peoria HS, so scratch that one, but the district itself has a good school system. My kids went to school there up until 6 years ago and now my last 2 will graduate from Gilbert schools. We are outta here too!

Old 09-05-2006, 12:07 PM

Default thanks for info

We are from MA and my husband is looking into a relocation to Glendale, but we couldn't find too much information about the area.

Our children are currently in a catholic school and I would like to put them in a good school district. My problem, however, is finding a school with less than 1500 kids. I think this would be very hard on them to go from a school that has 750 kids to a school with over 2000. Any opinions on this?

As for house ranges - we are looking for a 4 bedroom 2 bath house maybe with a pool up to $300,000. Is this realistic?

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needachange View Post
We are from MA and my husband is looking into a relocation to Glendale, but we couldn't find too much information about the area.

Our children are currently in a catholic school and I would like to put them in a good school district. My problem, however, is finding a school with less than 1500 kids. I think this would be very hard on them to go from a school that has 750 kids to a school with over 2000. Any opinions on this?

As for house ranges - we are looking for a 4 bedroom 2 bath house maybe with a pool up to $300,000. Is this realistic?

Thanks for your help.

That's realistic. Schools are over crowed here so a small school probably not unless you put them in a Charter school. Did you want your kids to go to a Catholic or Christian school again?

Old 09-06-2006, 11:34 AM

Default schools

I'd prefer if they went to charter, but if not catholic school

Old 09-11-2006, 10:01 PM

550 posts, read 3,265,236 times
We currently live in Surprise and have had excellent dealings with the schools. (My kids aren't high-school aged, though.) I have good friends who's children used to attend school in the Glendale School District and did NOT have a positive experience, in the least.

If you chose Glendale, I second the other poster who recommended the Arrowhead Ranch area. Very decent neighborhoods, good schools, nice people, and the homes are within your range.

I'd avoid a vast majority of Peoria. It's scuzzy, to say the least. Lots of older homes that are NOT well cared for. Some of the newer areas aren't too terribly bad, but not somewhere I'd feel comfortable raising my family.

I really enjoy Surprise. Homes are priced well within reason, but subdivisions are popping up all over the place and homes are placed VERY close together. The city has an aquatic center with water slides and they only charge residents $.50 admission. (I think non-residents are chargedd $2.50.) Also, you have the Surprise Stadium for yearly Spring Training for MLB. It's on the same campus at the library, aquatic center, and park. The stadium is REALLY nice, well kept, and has inexpensive tickets. They also have various other events there besides the games. It's a really beautiful campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona