U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 01:02 PM

48 posts, read 154,048 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family will be relocating in January to the Sierra Vista/Tucson area and I am trying to thin our belongings out a bit. Obviously we will not need our snow pants but I am wondering about heavy clothing. I figured lightweight sweaters and long sleeves would be good for winter nights but I am not sure just how low the temps feel in winter. Any help is welcome and much appreciated!

Mel
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 08:41 PM

532 posts, read 1,096,083 times
Tucson and SV are a ways apart in terms of terrain and weather. They're also in separate counties. I live halfway between the two (50 miles away from Tucson, 50 miles away from SV) and it's about 10 degrees cooler and gets more rain and snow in the winter/spring than Tucson. SV will be even colder at times than where I am. Don't forget thoes tornado-esque winds us in Cochise county will see that Pima cant even touch.

It can get quite cold here, even being Arizona. My family moved down here from Illinois in 95 and thought we wouldn't need jackets or heavy clothing so we donated....only to find that as we turned into "Desert Rats" with thinner blood we needed those jackets (heavy and light) as well as the winter wardrobe.

Our family has summer and winter wardrobes if that tells you anything.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:33 AM

48 posts, read 154,048 times
It does thank you!!

Old 08-15-2011, 12:27 PM

3,063 posts, read 5,904,486 times
Tucson sits at a much lower elevation than Sierra Vista. Their WX is certainly no the same.
I have lived in both.
Tuscon is going to be hotter than SV on a given day by about 10° but in turn it will be warmer in the winter months.
And you may want to consider the fact that if you want to go up into elevation in AZ like Mount Lemmon at Tuscon in the winter you will be cold.
Also many areas of AZ at higher elevations get snow like Prescott where I live, the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff~etc.
And in the Spring of 1967 and 1968 I saw quite a bit of snow in sierra Vista. I have seen snow almost every year to some extent that I lived there from 2002-2008 also.
I would not throw all those warm jackets away.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:13 PM

344 posts, read 566,760 times
I grew up in Tucson and live in S Vista. I drive to Tucson at least weekly.
Correct about SV temperatures being cooler, and 24 miles away Bisbee will be even cooler.
S Vista had 8 or so freezing nights last winter that froze quite a few pipes.
Many folks live in Tucson but work at Ft. Huachuca, many others live in S Vista and work in Tucson. It takes me 50 minutes to go from my house to Houghton Road in Tucson.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:27 PM

532 posts, read 1,096,083 times
Oh yeah, pipes freeze down here, especially in the wells. We keep our kitchen sink just barely on all night in the winter months.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:05 AM

44 posts, read 84,343 times
We moved from New England two years ago and now live in Tucson. I thought the same as you...won't need snow pants, hats, heavy winter coats. Luckily, I didn't donate them, but stored them instead with family back east. I was VERY happy when my parents mailed our coats, hats and warm sweaters to us last winter! Granted, you won't need them long here, but you'll be happy to have them. We did have snow on the ground one morning but it melted in a few hours. The best part, though, is you can VISIT snow if you want to with a short drive to Mt. Lemmon or other higher elevations. You'll definitely want warm coats up there. Friends in SV have lots of wind and much colder temps than we do in Tucson. Bring your warm stuff, but you may not need ALL of it. ;-)

Old 08-22-2011, 10:25 AM

20,460 posts, read 24,515,991 times
As others have said, it DOES get cold in both Tucson & (especially) SV in the winter. We hit a low of 17 overnight during the time we were in the process of buying our land near Subie2 (about half-way between Tucson & SV). Having said that, keep in mind that the AVERAGES will be MUCH nicer than what you are used to - and that a few days after freezing overnight (and even getting some snow) you'll probably be back up in the low 60's during the day in SV (upper 60's in Tucson) - or quite possibly even in the 70's (upper 70's or more in Tucson). The temp swings can be quite a bit and FOR THE MOST part - at least for the first few years (until you become acclimated) - winters will be pretty darn easy to take.

On on 1st January trip the area we (as mentioned) got down to 17 one night (and it was WINDY too - Brrrrr). On our next trip - during the very same week in January - it was MUCH WARMER - 78 one day and folks in the Whetstone area motel we were staying overnight in were SWIMMING in the OUTDOOR pool (it was chilly overnight but warmed up nicely during the day).

The lesson here is - it can REALLY vary from one day to the next or one year to the next and MOST of the time it will feel pretty darn pleasant to you (hardly winter at all) but every once and while winter-like weather will briefly appear (especially in SV as opposed to Tucson).

So, keep your winter coats. You'll need them once and while - just not most of the time.

Ken

Old 08-23-2011, 08:06 AM

17,461 posts, read 22,759,696 times
Last winter we had a week where it was around 8 degrees here in Sierra Vista and the Gas pipes ruptured leaving the city without heat. Other than that a sweater will get you by. You are at 4600 ft and there is usually a wind.

As for summer, cool mornings in the 70s up to around 90 in the afternoon but humid.

We had the Monument Fire but that was mostly grass and has mostly grown back with the daily monsoon rains
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona