Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:52 AM

15 posts, read 74,621 times

Advertisements

Anyone kn ow of info about the area north of Tucson Reddington in particular?

Land $$$, is it a retirement area? Can't seem to find anything about this area. I guess it is the base of Mt Lemon?

Than ks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 12:10 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoy312 View Post
Anyone kn ow of info about the area north of Tucson Reddington in particular?

Land $$$, is it a retirement area? Can't seem to find anything about this area. I guess it is the base of Mt Lemon?

Than ks in advance.
Does this help, Savoy?

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/redington.html

Although only "over the hill" North of Tucson, I've never been there.

Good Luck

! ! ! !

Old 07-21-2007, 12:50 PM

458 posts, read 776,869 times
Redington, AZ is located on a dirt road between San Manuel, AZ and Benson, AZ. It's really east of Tucson. I have made the drive once when I lived near San Manuel (locals pronounce it San MAN-WELL). I don't think I would make the drive again, too hard on my truck. I believe you can also go west from there and end up on the far east side of Tucson, but thats a road more for off roading. It's a very remote area. On a map it looks pretty close to Tucson and to the other towns. But you have to take a very poorly maintained dirt road. It requires 4 wheel drive or at least a truck with good clearance. Lots of places where you have to go 5 or 10 MPH because of the potholes. There is not really a town there. A bunch of working ranches and a few regular houses are in the area. You would have to drive at least an hour on a dirt road to go grocery shopping, banks, medical etc. It's also on one of the proposed routes for a future I-10 bypass. Someday there could be a freeway running right through there. Could be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective.

On the plus side, its really nice country. Lots of Saguaros, pretty lush with trees for the desert at least. The San Pedro River runs through the area, but it's dry now and has been most of the time the past few years. Benson and San Manuel both have big expansion plans so services over time will get closer.

North of Tucson on the back side of Mt. Lemmon is the Tri-Cities area of Oracle, Mammoth and San Manuel. There are some proposed housing developments near Oracle and Mammoth. Still about 45 minutes from a real supermarket, hospital, movie theater, etc. San Manuel is a pretty nice town and homes are about 1/2 of what they cost in Tucson.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:51 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Thanks, Winkelman

I've definitely learned something today . . . especially why I have never been there!

! ! ! !

Old 07-22-2007, 07:32 AM

15 posts, read 74,621 times
Yes thanks Winkelman that is quite an eye opening description. I'll let y'all know how it is when I get my 4 WD and off roader.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:11 PM

4 posts, read 12,395 times
Cool Reddington, AZ

I live in Reddington! pretty far down that dirt road! I drive a small little econ car. The road is not that bad if you drive the 35mph seed limit. Monsoon is a little rough.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelman View Post
Redington, AZ is located on a dirt road between San Manuel, AZ and Benson, AZ. It's really east of Tucson. I have made the drive once when I lived near San Manuel (locals pronounce it San MAN-WELL). I don't think I would make the drive again, too hard on my truck. I believe you can also go west from there and end up on the far east side of Tucson, but thats a road more for off roading. It's a very remote area. On a map it looks pretty close to Tucson and to the other towns. But you have to take a very poorly maintained dirt road. It requires 4 wheel drive or at least a truck with good clearance. Lots of places where you have to go 5 or 10 MPH because of the potholes. There is not really a town there. A bunch of working ranches and a few regular houses are in the area. You would have to drive at least an hour on a dirt road to go grocery shopping, banks, medical etc. It's also on one of the proposed routes for a future I-10 bypass. Someday there could be a freeway running right through there. Could be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective.

On the plus side, its really nice country. Lots of Saguaros, pretty lush with trees for the desert at least. The San Pedro River runs through the area, but it's dry now and has been most of the time the past few years. Benson and San Manuel both have big expansion plans so services over time will get closer.

North of Tucson on the back side of Mt. Lemmon is the Tri-Cities area of Oracle, Mammoth and San Manuel. There are some proposed housing developments near Oracle and Mammoth. Still about 45 minutes from a real supermarket, hospital, movie theater, etc. San Manuel is a pretty nice town and homes are about 1/2 of what they cost in Tucson.
Winkelman,
You must of been somewhere else, the road to Reddington is County maintained and does not require anything but a car of any kind and it takes 15 minutes from San Manuel to Reddington. It is the San Pedro river road and one of the most beautiful valleys in southern Arizona. It is filled with properties that have artesian wells that flow naturally at rates between 2 and 25 gallons per minute. My 23 acres has a one acre pond. And if you look for a place to retire you couldn't do much better.

Last edited by ph4152; 07-10-2008 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: accuracy

Old 01-24-2011, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,406 times
I heard redington burnt down a long time ago. I'm doing some geneology and was wondering how I would go about getting vital records for someone who was born there in the late 1800's. Please help. [email]hthrfrisby@gmail.com[/email]

Old 01-24-2011, 02:04 PM

444 posts, read 1,352,007 times
There is very little in Redington (spelling seems to vary) except a ranch, a few isolated houses and a small farm, right along the San Pedro. It seems like a lot of people see Redington Road on a map and just go up there, not realizing that it's actually a pretty rough dirt road and, most of the time, one-lane. I think it's much easier to take it from Tucson to Redington as opposed to the other direction. The switchbacks on the Tucson side are better maintained.
You could look into Cascabel, which is just south of there. There are some retirees living there.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,893 times
I just read a"On this date in Arizona History", note in the Az.Republic newspaper,about a miner named August Ealey,who, while working a silver claim near Redington, reported finding a "burial ground of a race of Giants" (1921). Does anyone have any further knowledge of this find, or any follow up info? I would appreciate any further info re this item.
Thanks, Johnnyo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona