Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:20 AM

11 posts, read 39,086 times

Advertisements

I have a Safeway and a Frys right next to each other...Always always go to Frys. Safeway isn't even an option to me because yes, to me it seems like the prices are more expensive. And I just like Frys better because its a marketplace and has all kinds of stuff. I've always wondered why people would go to Safeway over Frys too...haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 09:56 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
I thought it was just me, but I've noticed a bit of inflation with most of Safeway's products. In Kingman we have two Safeway's, a Bashas, and a Smith's, oh and a Super Walmart if you want to count that.Overall, Smith's has better deals with just about anything with meats being the only exception. I get a little worried once in a while when you get "questionable" customers that shop there too which is my only concern. (i.e. the methies, paranoid angry guys in trenchcoats, a guy with a black sweater and a red swastika, or the people wearing Aryan symbols on T-shirts -- it's rare but it's the only place I've seen them.) but you could spend far less for much more in anything in there. Sometimes they carry things you don't see anywhere else unless you're willing to drive to Bullhead or elsewhere. Meats, sometimes you find deals... but so far Safeway's has always been the place to get meats when they're on sale.

Bashas seem to be about the same as safeway in terms of prices, and they feel a bit limited on anything they carry. I rarely shop there now, plus its a bit out of the way from where I live/work.

Walmart... oh, Walmart. I avoid Great Value on everything. They're not that much cheaper than the name brand but as far as quality it should be illegal to sell that product to consumers. Have you tried their bagged cheese? It's plastic sealed in plastic! The bagged cereal? Everything tasted like marshmallows.

I miss Albertson's. Felt like you had very good deals but of course that was years ago when the economy was just a tad better. They had a great chicken dinner deal that put KFC to shame, killer seafood section, employees were nice and helpful even managers came around and asked if you needed a product that wasn't available. It felt clean, and sometimes fun just to windowshop for foods haha.

Safeway's has always been raising prices on anything. Went there the other week for a block of cheese and they wanted ten dollars for one without a club card, TEN DOLLARS!
I remember Smith's!! First it was Smitty's!! I haven't seen a Smith's in YEARS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Trader Joe's has good prices for certain things.
I LOVE TJ's--I go there about once a month--it's kind of far from where I live now..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I like Safeway only because they usually have everything I need, plus some grocery items that are more difficult to find at other supermarket chains. But yes, Safeway is more expensive than average, and it's because they are unionized. Lately, I have been going to Bashas because they are a little less pricey, non union, and I can find most everything there which I can find at Safeway. Bashas has improved on both quality & quantity ... they used to be lousy as far as conveniece and quality of goods. As long as I can find what I need, get checked out in a reasonable timeframe, and not break the budget, I'm OK with Bashas or Safeway.

My main complaint about Fry's is the stores are always crowded, too long of a wait at the checkouts, and not enough cashiers working the lanes. I like the self checkout options, but they're good for mostly the 15 items or less type of grocery shopping. If you have a large cart full of groceries, the self checkouts take too long.
I had no idea that Safeway was unionized..no wonder the same people work there for so many years!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I shop weekly at Sprouts and get all of my meat, seafood, produce, bulk items and some deli there. (The seafood selection is limited and varies from week to week, but is very good quality.) Their weekly sales are excellent in these departments, the food is very fresh and Wednesdays are "double Wednesdays", where the outgoing week's sale remains in effect at the same time the new week's sales have begun.

Once a month or so go to either Fry's, Albertson's or Safeway - depending upon which one has the most of what I plan to buy on sale. That''s when I pick up my general grocery items, dairy (I buy lactose-free milk, because the expiration is usually a month away), frozen, and most other things. If the sales are good, I don't wind up spending more in Safeway than in the other supermarkets. One item may be a little higher but another item may be a little lower, so it balances out. It definitely isn't worth my time or the price of gasoline to market-hop for the lowest prices on each thing.

In the summer, my monthly shopping is always done at Safeway. I have my groceries delivered, because I hate going out in the heat, and Safeway is the only one who delivers by me.
agree.
I love Sprouts for bulk items such as flour, oats, and nuts/seeds.. I also buy vegan items there when I'm trying to be vegan..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyAZ View Post
I have a Safeway and a Frys right next to each other...Always always go to Frys. Safeway isn't even an option to me because yes, to me it seems like the prices are more expensive. And I just like Frys better because its a marketplace and has all kinds of stuff. I've always wondered why people would go to Safeway over Frys too...haha
lol I agree

Old 12-21-2011, 08:29 PM

339 posts, read 832,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
Is it just me or is Safeway horribly expensive??

Does anyone shop there? If so, is price not a problem for you, or do you just prefer it?

I always seem to find the best meat deals at Frys, even though I can't stand how crowded the store always is. They are always packed because of the great prices.

I used to shop at Bashas and Albertson's when I lived in Ahwatukee, but there aren't any nearby..
Yeah Safeway is pretty expensive, I only go there when there's a special sale. The other stores you mentioned are pretty expensive too although a little cheaper than Safeway. Super Walmart is cheaper than all of those stores and you can price match at Walmart.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I agree.

I shop weekly at Sprouts and get all of my meat, seafood, produce, bulk items and some deli there. (The seafood selection is limited and varies from week to week, but is very good quality.) Their weekly sales are excellent in these departments, the food is very fresh and Wednesdays are "double Wednesdays", where the outgoing week's sale remains in effect at the same time the new week's sales have begun.

Once a month or so go to either Fry's, Albertson's or Safeway - depending upon which one has the most of what I plan to buy on sale. That''s when I pick up my general grocery items, dairy (I buy lactose-free milk, because the expiration is usually a month away), frozen, and most other things. If the sales are good, I don't wind up spending more in Safeway than in the other supermarkets. One item may be a little higher but another item may be a little lower, so it balances out. It definitely isn't worth my time or the price of gasoline to market-hop for the lowest prices on each thing.

In the summer, my monthly shopping is always done at Safeway. I have my groceries delivered, because I hate going out in the heat, and Safeway is the only one who delivers by me.
How does that delivery work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I think Safeway is expensive too, but if ur going there for specific sales items it's okay. However, if u r going to go there to all your shopping u can expect to pay a little more. I go to walmart cause they price match-u can take all the add from other stores and pick up the same items for the sale price, but I don't like to purchase meat from walmart.
Yeah I love to get the sales papers of Frys, Safeway, Sunflower Market, Albertsons etc for the sales and to price match with at Walmart.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:25 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
How does that delivery work?
All you do is register on their website, then shop for your items. You can shop by departments, (deli, grocery, frozen, etc.), or by entering a specific item. For example, if you enter "lasagna", it will show everything they have containing the word lasagna. (I only use the list feature when choosing items from their weekly circular and am specific, so I don't have to sort through a gazillion products.)

When you're finished shopping, choose a delivery date and time. The site will show what is available. (Caution: The sale prices change on Wednesdays. You are charged the price of the item when their shopper purchases it, so if you buy online on Tuesday and have it delivered on Thursday, you will lose Tuesday's sale price because their shopper won't pick your order until Thursday.) You pay by credit card on their site at the time you place your order, but your credit card isn't charged until the items are actually purchased by their shopper, so the total may be different. (For example, things ordered by weight will vary a bit in price. If you order 1.5 lbs. of 90% lean ground beef and the package actually weighs 1.62 lbs., you will be charged for the actual 1.62 lbs when it gets checked out.)

They pick your order, load it onto a refrigerated truck and the delivery is made within the time frame chosen. The driver brings your packages right into your kitchen, (or wherever you designate). You sign for it and they leave an itemized list which includes the price rung for each item. If you are displeased with anything, call customer service and they try to make it right.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:12 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Sprouts is good for vegies/fruits. Much cheaper than Fry's when their prices for vegies go skyrocketing. I buy supplements there, too. You can buy organic meats their, too, that aren't too expensive. I like their chicken sausage and chicken apple sausage. Fry it up with some peppers and onions. Yum.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
All you do is register on their website, then shop for your items. You can shop by departments, (deli, grocery, frozen, etc.), or by entering a specific item. For example, if you enter "lasagna", it will show everything they have containing the word lasagna. (I only use the list feature when choosing items from their weekly circular and am specific, so I don't have to sort through a gazillion products.)

When you're finished shopping, choose a delivery date and time. The site will show what is available. (Caution: The sale prices change on Wednesdays. You are charged the price of the item when their shopper purchases it, so if you buy online on Tuesday and have it delivered on Thursday, you will lose Tuesday's sale price because their shopper won't pick your order until Thursday.) You pay by credit card on their site at the time you place your order, but your credit card isn't charged until the items are actually purchased by their shopper, so the total may be different. (For example, things ordered by weight will vary a bit in price. If you order 1.5 lbs. of 90% lean ground beef and the package actually weighs 1.62 lbs., you will be charged for the actual 1.62 lbs when it gets checked out.)

They pick your order, load it onto a refrigerated truck and the delivery is made within the time frame chosen. The driver brings your packages right into your kitchen, (or wherever you designate). You sign for it and they leave an itemized list which includes the price rung for each item. If you are displeased with anything, call customer service and they try to make it right.
Oh wow that sounds easy! I think I will try that this week.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:04 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Our choice in Bullhead City is Safeway or Smiths, or Walmart. I have business in Vegas so I go to Traders and Whole Foods when I'm there. You think Safeway is expensive! LOL

Old 06-09-2015, 01:34 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Up here in Las Vegas, we have several Latin Grocery stores/chains and I love them: La Bonita (my favorite), Marianna's, Marketon and a couple others. I'll be moving to Tucson, soon enough, and wonder if they have similar chains down there. Yes, I know of Food City (owned by Basha's) catering more to Latino's, but what others would there be to choose from?

Old 06-10-2015, 12:41 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,482 times
I'll shop at Albertsons, Safeway or Fry's simply depending on which is most convenient at the time. I've found Albertsons to cost more than Safeway while Fry's costs less. I will not shop at Walmart because they are inconvenient hells to deal with. Every rare once in a while I need something and Walmart is the only good option than I may get some food while I'm there but no produce or meat, eeew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona