Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:22 PM

741 posts, read 1,672,398 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is Safeway horribly expensive??

Does anyone shop there? If so, is price not a problem for you, or do you just prefer it?

I always seem to find the best meat deals at Frys, even though I can't stand how crowded the store always is. They are always packed because of the great prices.

I used to shop at Bashas and Albertson's when I lived in Ahwatukee, but there aren't any nearby..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 11:03 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,176,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
Is it just me or is Safeway horribly expensive??

Does anyone shop there? If so, is price not a problem for you, or do you just prefer it?

I always seem to find the best meat deals at Frys, even though I can't stand how crowded the store always is. They are always packed because of the great prices.

I used to shop at Bashas and Albertson's when I lived in Ahwatukee, but there aren't any nearby..
I shop at Safeway sometimes, I don't find it too much different than Basha's. In Sedona we don't have anything other choices except an IGA in the village. I also shop at New Frontiers (the health food store) so that probably mkaes Safeway feel inexpensive. I perfer my meat and chicken without hormones etc.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:20 PM

38,956 posts, read 50,875,947 times
Yeah, we have a Safeway just down the street so I go there at times for the convenience. It just kills me to spend sometimes twice as much for the same item as it is at Walmart.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:28 PM

354 posts, read 1,276,671 times
They do not count food prices when the say inflation is low but you can get sticker shock at the meat counter.

I shop Safeway all the time and pay whatever. It is convenient to where I live and I do not buy so much that it would be worthwhile driving a few miles further. I do sometimes stop to think and wonder about people who are trying to feed a family and believe they are the ones who need to work the system to maximize what they bring home for their money.

I have all the patience in the world when someone in front of me pulls a wad of coupons out of their purse (no, I have never seen a man do this). I just think, good for them.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:20 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,470,969 times
We hardly go to Safeway(half mile) anymore. When they started carrying the Dairy Glen rBHT brand of milk and discounting that instead of Lucerne we stopped going there. We mostly go to Fry's (about a mile further).
We still go to Bashas(5 miles away) when their hamburger or store brand cottage cheese is on sale.
We also go to food city(10 miles) every 5-6 weeks because of the Mexican selection. And the vegetables are very cheap...but a lower qulity than Bashas or Aj's.
AJ's (half mile) for seafood and some other meats.
Costco (3 miles) for cheese, sometimes meat, seafood, and milk and other things.
Lee Lee's (5 miles) every 4-5 weeks for ghee, rice, and other Asian things.
Sprouts (3 miles) every couple months for some bulk items or veggies.
Walmart(2miles) and Super Target(5 miles) when we need diapers and such.

With a family of seven we tend to shop the sales and spend 2-3 hours every week shopping.

Last edited by roundball; 12-04-2011 at 12:33 AM..

Old 12-04-2011, 02:12 AM

44,543 posts, read 61,222,670 times
Of the regular stand alone grocery stores, Basha's is the most expensive overall and Fry's is generally the lowest. Safeway and Alberstson's fall in between. A lot depends on what you buy, their specials and coupon shopping. If you shop regular everyday item for item brand for brand there's very little in price difference between these grocers. Sale specials and coupons can make a big difference.
BTW, IMO, Target is gbest overall, nicer than Walmart and those 2 are about the same in pricing. At least in my area they are. Walmart's prices will vary from store to store for the same item around the valley.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher521 View Post
They do not count food prices when the say inflation is low but you can get sticker shock at the meat counter.

I shop Safeway all the time and pay whatever. It is convenient to where I live and I do not buy so much that it would be worthwhile driving a few miles further. I do sometimes stop to think and wonder about people who are trying to feed a family and believe they are the ones who need to work the system to maximize what they bring home for their money.

I have all the patience in the world when someone in front of me pulls a wad of coupons out of their purse (no, I have never seen a man do this). I just think, good for them.
I have a family member who buys all of their meat at the meat counter at Safeway..something about much beter quality..ofcourse this person has a lot of $$ lol

Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I shop at Safeway sometimes, I don't find it too much different than Basha's. In Sedona we don't have anything other choices except an IGA in the village. I also shop at New Frontiers (the health food store) so that probably mkaes Safeway feel inexpensive. I perfer my meat and chicken without hormones etc.
Ahh, yes I remember living in Sedona and the limited shopping...I had 8 to feed and my choices were Safeway or IGA..Although, we would usually make a family trip on the weekend and drive up to Flagstaff for Walmart or to Prescott for Costco

Old 12-04-2011, 09:26 AM

509 posts, read 1,689,295 times
if you want to have a shock at Safeway , try the one in Williams . it is 25 miles from my house and rather than shop there i will drive 50 miles to Prescott and do ll kinds of shopping .

Old 12-04-2011, 09:39 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,443,616 times
If only we had a Frys, Albertsons, IGA, whole foods etc.
But we have two Safeways a Basha's, Kmart, Walmart & Smiths to choose from. So ya have to shop at Multiple stores to lay in your supplies. Not really a option not to shop at Safeway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona