Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:49 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
OMG, youre seriously going to mention the "bad" weather in London? Who cares?!?!?! Its one of the top 5 cities in the world! And speaking of "bad" weather, AZ's summers are the prime definition of the word.

To the OP: what do the kids want? Are they interested in London?
Obviously, Steve . . . you've never spent much time in and around London! Some here have compared London's weather to Seattle's and, definitely, there are similarities but overall London's is MUCH MUCH WORSE.

Unlike the "bad" Summers in Arizona (your term, not mine) . . . there are basically no "quick escapes" in the London area.

Also, Awoods initially put the emphasis on "the weather" . . . not anyone else.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:27 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Well, I agree with everybody. There are a lot of nice places in the U.S. with a milder climate than AZ. Europe does have a lot of pluses despite the rain. Different culture, but, you've put up with ours so it is his turn. Your kids, well, they may not like the weather, but there education would probably be better. Family is important, where does his family live? Maybe you can rent in Europe for a year or so and check it out. I know it's hard to afford a vacation, but you could live there for awhile and check out the real nitty-gritty. You would have family there to help you out. My husbands brother lives in Germany and says he would never move to the U.S. His kids have there college paid for out there, he couldn't afford America's education. So, there's that to think about. I don't think England pays for all of it like Germany, but they are a lot cheaper than American Universities. The houses are smaller though, people don't expect a 4,000 sf home out there. It's just more to clean. lol Just food for thought. Good luck to you.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:31 AM

595 posts, read 2,344,250 times
Weather wouldn't bother me too much...

It would be the little things like no Thanksgiving holiday or whatnot. I'd give it a go, but I'm not her family.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:49 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
OMG, youre seriously going to mention the "bad" weather in London? Who cares?!?!?! Its one of the top 5 cities in the world! And speaking of "bad" weather, AZ's summers are the prime definition of the word.

To the OP: what do the kids want? Are they interested in London?
I am from the Wash DC area: the main reason I left that place was due in part to the nasty weather--------summers more unpleasant than Phoenix's as well as foul winters.

In other words: back at you; 'who cares' that London is one of the putative top 5 cities of the world--------to me I vastly prefer to not deal with overcrowding, $$$ cost of living, etc. If I wish to hassle with the above; the Los Angeles area blows London away

Old 08-31-2007, 11:07 AM

202 posts, read 981,361 times
No way, you'd have to leave all your firearms in AZ!

Old 08-31-2007, 05:09 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmy View Post
No way, you'd have to leave all your firearms in AZ!
Very true that.

I may not be a gun owner; but, it should be my choice whether I carry or not-------note in my particular case, I even qualify for a CCW!

Old 09-01-2007, 05:21 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Hope you find yourself able to make a decision. I am a Brit, married to a Middle Eastern and living on the East Coast (weather and cost of living here is the pits). It can be really tough, especially when you have no family over here. Whenever I go back I love it, but then I wonder about jobs and stuff. I would probably go back (and spouse loves it there) if I had good wad of cash and could buy a house outright, but prices there are ridiculous.

Definitely repeat what others here have mentioned, if husband hasn't travelled, he needs to see the place first. And if nothing else, you need a trip home to see your family - 7 years is a long time.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:05 PM

710 posts, read 3,392,140 times
it'd be a good experience for your kids - and EU citizenship is a great thing to have. UK is terribly expensive though. Savings in USD now = exactly half in pounds.

How about a different country in the EU, so you could both work. UK would be a hassle for your DH, trying to explain american equivalents of GCSE, A levels, university etc....

Old 09-02-2007, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 11,001 times
hi and thankyou to everyone.,

I have booked a flight for my husband, he leaves on friday for a week, i know this is not that long, but he is going to explore options on the job siutaiton and he will get to see parts of the UK a little before we rush into any decision.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:50 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
I'm an American woman married to a British man. My son and I immigrated to the UK in 2001 and the past 6 years have been Hell. We can't wait to get back to Arizona ASAP. Bear in mind that it is cheaper to move TO the UK than it is to escape it if you don't like it here. The cost of gasoline is much more expensive here. The cost of a litre of gas in the UK is the same as you pay for a gallon in the States. A few more things to seriously consider...
  • Anti-Americanism is running HIGH in this country. One American woman was even attacked on the Tube in London and got a black eye. An American family was recently on holiday here. Their 12 year old daughter was wearing a "USA" t-shirt and a Brit spit on her. We had to move from our first house after 9/11 due to threats and anti-American sentiment. My son was attacked by a gang of Muslim youths and the police would do nothing because they would be accused of being Islamaphobic.
  • The schooling in the UK is appalling. You do NOT want your American children educated here. It is un-PC to teach British history in the schools. It is un-PC to teach about the Holocaust. Instead, the teachers are teaching the children how great the Middle Eastern countires and their histories are. Someone mentioned that the education in the UK might be better. WRONG! Every class assignment that my son brought home, every report, etc... was full of spelling and grammatical errors by the TEACHERS! Teachers have no control in the classrooms. Violence is rife. Children are taught Religious Education in the schols, with an emphasis on Islam. Unlike American schools, parents are NOT allowed in or near the classrooms and seldom ever meet the other students or their parents and no rapport is built up with teachers. No school dances, no proms, no interscholastic sports, absolutely zero school spirit, no graduation ceremonies. Children "graduate" school at age 16 and are very ill-equipped to deal with the adult world. When my son was first enrolled in the UK school system he was already 3 grades ahead of everyone of the same age group.
  • The UK is one of the biggest breeding grounds for Islamic / Al Qaeda terrorists. Most of those responsible for 9/11 were born, raised and trained here in the UK. There is a reason London is now called "Londonistan." Prince Charles believes that Islam is the way to go for the UK. That spells BIG TROUBLE for indigenous Brits.
  • The NHS (National Health Service) is a frightening mess. My husband and I are both finally recovered from a virus we caught while just VISITING someone in the hospital. Within hours of the visit we were seriosly ill and remained very, very ill for 5 weeks. UK hospitals are very dirty, nurses and doctors rarely wash their hands or wear gloves before examining a patient and they are very poorly trained. Nurses often scrub toilets and then care for patients right after, without even changing their uniform.
  • Jobs? Don't count on any type of steady employment. The employment situation is very dismal, especially for Americans. Six years here and I STILL can't find work. Brits feel threatened by American employees so do not wish to hire them.
  • Crime in many areas of the UK is far worse than anything you will encounter in the United States. There is no law and order in the UK and criminals are given more rights than victims. This is a FACT. An 11 year old boy was just shot and killed because he was caught in the middle of feuding gangs. Guns ARE used for criminal purposes in the UK. Only non-criminal citizens do not own guns.

For the safety of yourself, but especially your children... STAY in the USA! Once we get back we will NEVER live in the UK again.

Last edited by Cyanna; 09-03-2007 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: additions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona