U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 01:48 PM

213 posts, read 663,864 times

Advertisements

It's official, we will be moving to SV in the summer for a job opportunity. We visited last week and did some house-hunting, if we get what we're hoping for we'll be in the SV school district.

I have three kids - one in grade school, one in middle school, and one will be starting high school. My oldest and youngest are pretty adaptable, and I think they will do fine in the district schools (Huachuca Mountain and Buena HS). I'm concerned about my middle schooler. He's coming from a very small school, and has some anxiety issues as well as ADD. The idea of moving him to a huge school worries me.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the culture of the Charter schools in SV (particularly Berean and Imagine), or the schools in the Palominas district. I've been to the Great Schools and similar websites, so I know what the numbers are, but I'm most interested in the culture. Are these schools and teachers tolerent of kids who learn differently? Are the kids accepting of one another, or "clique-ish"? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 04:13 PM

344 posts, read 594,719 times
Hi, my wife and I are both retired from the Sierra Vista School District. That said our 6 year old grand daughter is now going to Presidio school, a small Charter near the Target shopping center. We fought and won custody and although we support the SV schools this year we wanted a smaller situation.
Buena is an outstanding school, I suggest the ROTC classes, they helped my sons a lot. One son is an English teacher in the frosh academy which was the best idea since round tires.
Buena is solid athletically in every sport but Football, but the new principal is determined to change that.
Buena's Academic teams, Mock Trial, Robotics (future engineers), and Academic Decathelon have all been in the top 5 nationally during the past 5 years.
My wife taught at H Mountain for 8 years and it is an outstanding school.
I would stay out of most of the Charters, many of the kids in them are dropouts. Not all, but many.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:53 PM

Thank you for the info! ROTC and robotics were a couple of the things that my oldest is most excited about at the high school. I think it will be a good fit for him.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:17 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,589,971 times
Palominas has three K-8 schools: Palomins, Valley View, and Coronado. Coronado is very good by all accounts that I hear. Palominas is run down. And I wish my son never entered into Valley View. True, it was due to one teacher, but the fact that the principal (and superintendent) did nothing for years, even though year after year parents raised concerns and filed greviances and complaints. My son is still not the same. (The teacher retired last year.) It seems like they only taught for the tests, nothing else mattered. Sorry, more info than you needed, and I could give you more if you need, but I think that is sufficient.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:06 PM

Stay in the SV district as much as you can. I taught SPED for my last two years because i wanted to work with ED kids. They work very well with youngsters who are different. The teachers at Presidio Charter are etired S Vista teachers with lots of experience.
CASS- does a pretty good job with former dropouts. Several teachers aren't certified.
PEPTEC a who's who of Gang Members
Berean- teachers angry pay cuts.
Imagine-some good teachers.

Joyce Clark MS EXCELLENT SPED Department. In my opinion the Dept head is ADHD as am I.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:01 PM

Salpointe, that helps. In some ways I worry about the culture shock of a huge school on my son, but if their SPEDs are good, that will help.

I'm hearing a lot of "Charter Schools = dropouts" and I could see that would probably be true at the high school level. But what about younger kids? In elementary school, what kinds of kids end up at the charter schools? I would think it would be a lot of families just interested in alternative approaches, but we don't have charter schools where we currently live now, so I'm a little at a disadvantage in understanding all of this.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 PM

My grandaughter goes to Presidion Charter school in the first grade. It is small and all of the teachers are retired professionals with full credentials. But, we will move her to Huachuca Mountain next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona