U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 05:03 PM

199 posts, read 590,636 times

Advertisements

We traveled from Chicago to Orange County, California this past January. We took the southern route hoping to avoid bad weather via I-80. We had windy conditions all the way from Oklahoma through Williams, Arizona; wasn't much fun. :/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 05:10 PM

2,333 posts, read 4,356,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiojunkie2006 View Post
We traveled from Chicago to Orange County, California this past January. We took the southern route hoping to avoid bad weather via I-80. We had windy conditions all the way from Oklahoma through Williams, Arizona; wasn't much fun. :/
I agree it's always windy in Texas Panhandle and Eastern NM for the most part. However, those areas get those nice Chinook winds. I drove through Amarillo last month on January 15th and it was 70 that day with those warming winds from the west. OTOH, that region gets cold clippers from the north dropping temps some 40 degrees in an hour too. Flip a coin this time of year.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:30 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,767,467 times
I didn't make the drive all the way from the east coast, but driving cross-country to AZ was an awesome drive.

My roommate flew into Cincinnati, OH while I was visiting friends for the last time in Lexington, KY. Picked him up from the airport, spent a couple more days in Kentucky, then drove out. Started around 8 am eastern time, and drove straight through. I drove from Lexington, KY, to Tulsa, OK (about 12 1/2 hours), stopping only for gas. Then my roommate took over, and drove from Tulsa, OK to Amarillo, TX (I don't even know what time we got into Amarillo. It had been dark for hours, and I didn't think the sun would ever come back up). Stopping just long enough for gas and 5 hour energy's, I took over the driving from Amarillo to Albuquerque. The sun was just inching over the horizon as we were fueling up in Albuquerque. My roommate took the last stretch, from Albuquerque to Phoenix (I-40 west to Holbrook, then down through Payson).

29 hours, stopping only for gas (packed food in the car).

The highlight of the trip, in my opinion, was the sunrise. The last sunlit scenery I saw were the grasslands of Oklahoma. Then the sun rose to the red and brown rocky backdrop of Albuquerque. Words cannot explain how drastically different it was (granted, this was also the first time I had ever been in the desert).

Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 AM

8,776 posts, read 11,178,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
You sound very knowledgable and better traveled than myself VOC1. I am actually interested in sometime driving from Vegas to Reno. Is that the Rte 95 in Nevada you are referencing ? I have flown to both Vegas and Reno but never drove the 10 desolate hours between them. Thanks.
I've done the Vegas to Reno drive many times, on my way to Oregon. That has to be the longest most boring drive I've ever done and I always looked forward to reaching Tonopah! Not much to see on that route unless you really enjoy the desert and faraway mountains. I'm going back to Oregon on vacation in Aug. and may try a different route!

Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,196,287 times
I drove from State College to Tucson with stops in Indianapolis, Wichita, and Albuquerque.

I took I-80 to Akron, I-71 to Columbus, I-70 through Indy and St Louis to Kansas City, I-35 to US 50, US 50 to I-135, I-135 to Wichita, US 54 west through Kansas, the Oklahoma Panhandle and northern Texas to US 287, US 287 to Amarillo, I-40 through Albuquerque to Flagstaff, I-17 to Phoenix, and I-10 to Tucson.

It was a great drive.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:55 PM

133 posts, read 229,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
You sound very knowledgable and better traveled than myself VOC1. I am actually interested in sometime driving from Vegas to Reno. Is that the Rte 95 in Nevada you are referencing ? I have flown to both Vegas and Reno but never drove the 10 desolate hours between them. Thanks.
Well I don't know about how well traveled, but I have hit every one of the lower 48 at least twice driving across or visiting. Except Wyoming. I've been to Yellowstone once but that was only one tiny little corner of Wyoming so it doesn't really count.

As for 95 between Vegas and Reno, I've done it round trip a few times, and it is pretty boring. Very, very boring. You know a road is bad when you get excited to see a salt flat (just north of Beatty iirc). Always so excited to hit Tonopah and grab a burger at McDonalds (which has some neat old local pictures inside). Yes, a McDonalds is cause for excitement on that drive.

I shouldn't be so harsh really, I guess if you like desert (without saguaros or real cactus to look at), and like burnt rocks, hills, and lots of dust, it's an ok drive. Once. If you have to. And to be fair the stretch past Tonopah, through Hawthorne/Fallon etc has some ok scenery, getting better as you get further north. It's more fun to cut over on the 50 at Silver Springs then go through Virginia City to Reno. The road is awesome, the scenery is awesome, and Virginia City is one of the coolest little towns in the country. Stop at the Bucket Of Blood and get a t-shirt and a beer.

Oh, and watch out for speed traps on the 95. Almost every one of those little no-stoplight 'towns' has a speed trap set up where the speeds go from highway speeds down to like 30mph or whatever. Be careful around Beatty, Goldfield, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I've done the Vegas to Reno drive many times, on my way to Oregon. That has to be the longest most boring drive I've ever done and I always looked forward to reaching Tonopah! Not much to see on that route unless you really enjoy the desert and faraway mountains. I'm going back to Oregon on vacation in Aug. and may try a different route!
yeah pretty much this!

Edit: jeez, sorry for the long post, I'll shut up now!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:53 PM

2,333 posts, read 4,356,659 times
Thanks for the responses AZBrat and VOC1 on the Vegas to Reno drive. I figured a couple "ranches" in Beatty would be more exciting than salt flats.LOL. I imagine The Great Basin at some 4-6000 feet is mostly tumbleweeds and sagebrush much like NE AZ when going up to Reno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona