Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:15 PM

134 posts, read 243,116 times

Advertisements

Don't mess around at all with speeding in Texas, if you are taking i40. Be very, very careful. Keep an eye out for "rest areas" on/off ramps, the cops like to speed trap by hiding on those and popping out of state plates passing by, even for dumb amounts like 5 over. And you will NOT be talking your way out of any ticket, and god help you if you have to speak to one of the local justice-of-the-peace in northern Texas about paying a ticket. Say nothing unless asked a direct question, make zero small talk, get the hell out of there ASAP and mail your fine in if you do get pulled over.

Between the speed traps and the "scenery" it really is by far the worst part of the drive. But it gets much better (on both counts) when you get into NM. Have a good trip and be safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 10:34 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,714,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOC1 View Post
Don't mess around at all with speeding in Texas, if you are taking i40. Be very, very careful. Keep an eye out for "rest areas" on/off ramps, the cops like to speed trap by hiding on those and popping out of state plates passing by, even for dumb amounts like 5 over. And you will NOT be talking your way out of any ticket, and god help you if you have to speak to one of the local justice-of-the-peace in northern Texas about paying a ticket. Say nothing unless asked a direct question, make zero small talk, get the hell out of there ASAP and mail your fine in if you do get pulled over.

Between the speed traps and the "scenery" it really is by far the worst part of the drive. But it gets much better (on both counts) when you get into NM. Have a good trip and be safe!
I don't know. I've always loved the TX Panhandle scenery. Especially the stretch from McLean to Amarillo. Want to talk boring ? Oklahoma. OKC to TX border on I 40 is quite boring with prairies.Plus the I 40 has a boatload of potholes from OKC to TX. Atleast a few hills near Tulsa to break up the monotony. The incline to the Llano Estacado is better than anything in Oklahoma. I never bothered to stop at The Big Texan Steakhouse and I've gone through Amarillo for 20 years. It looks like Urban Cowboy with great steak. Just like Gilley's in that movie without the mechanical bull.

As far as NM goes. I bumped into the sheriff in Tucumcari when I stopped to fill up. Had tons of stuff in my SUV blocking my view and he didn't even say anything other than "have a safe trip." Talk about weather extremes last month in NM. It was 65 in Tucumcari and snowing near Moriarty just 150 miles away when I passed through. It was a blizzard near the Continental Drive past Grants as well.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:40 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's a better trip in the winter than the summer. It gets warmer and more inviting the longer you drive that way. Instead of hotter and hotter.
I love making the trip up North in the summer for the exact opposite reason. It feels so good to get out of the car and to feel a bit chilly in the middle of July. The best part, for me, is seeing the vegetation changes from here to Flagstaff. After Denver it turns in to a very boring drive.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
I love making the trip up North in the summer for the exact opposite reason. It feels so good to get out of the car and to feel a bit chilly in the middle of July. The best part, for me, is seeing the vegetation changes from here to Flagstaff. After Denver it turns in to a very boring drive.
The cutoff in the SW is appx 5000 feet elevation for greenery it seems. Above 5000 feet you see mostly junipers and ponderosa. Under 5000 mostly sagebrush like you see in places like Winslow, Holbrook and ABQ. All three of those towns about 5000 ft above sea level. What makes ABQ neat is you see the vegetation change from one end of town to the other. The Tramway exit on the far east end of ABQ has far different vegetation than the Rio Grande just a few miles west of there.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:23 PM

134 posts, read 243,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I don't know. I've always loved the TX Panhandle scenery. Especially the stretch from McLean to Amarillo.
Yikes. If I had to pick, Amarillo to Shamrock would be my least favorite part of that entire stretch. Bare dirt, dead short grass, literally nothing for miles in every direction...just an eyesore in my opinion.

Quote:
Want to talk boring ? Oklahoma. OKC to TX border on I 40 is quite boring with prairies.Plus the I 40 has a boatload of potholes from OKC to TX. Atleast a few hills near Tulsa to break up the monotony. The incline to the Llano Estacado is better than anything in Oklahoma.
The 40 from OKC all the way to the NM border is all pretty tedious, it's just slightly varying degrees of tedious.

Quote:
I never bothered to stop at The Big Texan Steakhouse and I've gone through Amarillo for 20 years. It looks like Urban Cowboy with great steak. Just like Gilley's in that movie without the mechanical bull.
It's a tourist trap, but that said, it has great food at reasonable prices, so I've always stopped there when driving through. The 72 makes an awesome meal, if you split it a few ways.

Quote:
As far as NM goes. I bumped into the sheriff in Tucumcari when I stopped to fill up. Had tons of stuff in my SUV blocking my view and he didn't even say anything other than "have a safe trip."
Yes they are very pleasant and laid back in NM. Every time I have driven through Tucumcari I always think of "For A Few Dollars More" and Lee Van Cleef stopping the train.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:41 PM

157 posts, read 453,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I made the drive from Scranton to Phoenix with stops in Lexington, KY, Tulsa, OK and Gallup, NM. While not a horrible drive I found it tedious until I hit Texas. I enjoyed the drive thru New Mexico. My time was limited and my funds were short so I did not have the opportunity to see all of the sites along the way. I bet the drive is, overall, much better if there's on opportunity to really see the land.

I found the drive to be just the opposite. The first part through the midwest was the better half, mainly because I went through some urban areas and never really felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. I've made the drive straight east to west Texas and that, while not boring, seemed to last forever because the state is so large. New Mexico was really rough for me. That stretch is flat nothingness forever and ever. I remember having to pull into a gas station for a nap on another trip because the road just lulled me into a coma.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOC1 View Post
Yikes. If I had to pick, Amarillo to Shamrock would be my least favorite part of that entire stretch. Bare dirt, dead short grass, literally nothing for miles in every direction...just an eyesore in my opinion.

The 40 from OKC all the way to the NM border is all pretty tedious, it's just slightly varying degrees of tedious.

It's a tourist trap, but that said, it has great food at reasonable prices, so I've always stopped there when driving through. The 72 makes an awesome meal, if you split it a few ways.

Yes they are very pleasant and laid back in NM. Every time I have driven through Tucumcari I always think of "For A Few Dollars More" and Lee Van Cleef stopping the train.
I respect your takes VOC. One man's trash is another one's pleasure. For the record, I am a prime rib buff. I didn't even attempt to try the 72 ouncer there. The prime rib with the blackened seasoning was really good though.

Despite growing up an hour from NYC, I was always a rural and nature guy. The desolate nature of Amarillo to Flag outside of ABQ has always been one of my favorite stretches of highway. My least favorite part of NM is Santa Rosa to Clines Corners which is nothing but an 80 mile incline that stresses your engine.LOL. Plus, no real visible mountains until you start seeing the Sandias west of Clines Corners.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripper76 View Post
I found the drive to be just the opposite. The first part through the midwest was the better half, mainly because I went through some urban areas and never really felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. I've made the drive straight east to west Texas and that, while not boring, seemed to last forever because the state is so large. New Mexico was really rough for me. That stretch is flat nothingness forever and ever. I remember having to pull into a gas station for a nap on another trip because the road just lulled me into a coma.
The only "flat" part of NM on I 40 is the TX border to Tucumcari. The elevation starts to differentiate just west of Tucumcari.

To each their own. Columbus,OH to ST Louis on I70 is as boring as watching flies f**k. Guess I'm just a high country guy who likes rugged and mountain scenery.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:45 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,902,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfOnABoat View Post
I've driven it from Detroit to AZ, it was awesome, but didn't have much time to sight-see as we drove it straight through. 31 Hours! Although before I permanently move down there, I plan on driving it again and taking my time and going the Route 66 passage. Now that will be fun!!!!
I did that same trip myself but it's been years ago. Not straight through though. Made it to just past St. Louis the first day then Oklahoma City the second day. I had planned to spend a third night in NM but got 'antsy' to get home and drove straight through at that point. Took me 14 hours. I wouldn't mind doing that trip again some day. I honestly don't remember much about the 'scenery' because it's been so long.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:59 AM

205 posts, read 572,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I did that same trip myself but it's been years ago. Not straight through though. Made it to just past St. Louis the first day then Oklahoma City the second day. I had planned to spend a third night in NM but got 'antsy' to get home and drove straight through at that point. Took me 14 hours. I wouldn't mind doing that trip again some day. I honestly don't remember much about the 'scenery' because it's been so long.
Yeah it was me and a buddy. I was delivering a car to my uncle who also lives in St. David. So we alternated driving. We only stopped at once place to actually have a sit down meal. I will never forget that either. It was Shamrock TX, on I40 just as we entered TX. There was nothing there (at the time) a gas station, a Hotel, and a bar/grille (all on the same corner). That was probably one of the best burgers I had ever had, and entire separate plate of fries and a milkshake for $5. Couldn't beat it!

But 31 hours, we were hauling the mail and didnt rest! Next time, I will rest and enjoy the drive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona