Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 02:47 PM

9,317 posts, read 18,794,224 times

Advertisements

I think you should also take a look at the Trilogy in Vistancia, located up in the foothills in north Peoria. Has a wonderful golf course, two great restaurants, Safeway shopping center with a great little cheese shop and wine bar where the locals hang out. The homes start in the $190,000 but you can occasionally find one that is a short sale or a foreclosure for a steal of a deal. This is a 55 development but they do allow for younger retirees to move in as well. The setting is spectacular. Taxes there are higher than the Sun Cities as well as the HOA is a bit more. Robson Communities also have nice retirement developments. Good luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 01:15 AM

4,975 posts, read 9,537,924 times
Go North...it is cooler, cleaner air, less congested, low crime.

And the shooting range is nearby.

I work full time and commute down to Mesa from Cave Creek.

I wouldn't want to move down there, too populated for me.

You are way too young for Sun City.

PS, I can't ever retire, so I don't think in those terms, more about quality of life.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 PM

14 posts, read 26,812 times
I just wanted to thank you all once again! For your opinions, experience, and kindness! Thanks again, and God bless!

Old 04-25-2012, 03:08 PM

219 posts, read 508,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Back then Phoenix was becoming another Los Angeles and it seems to be even worse now.
Agreed. Phoenix has a very SoCal feel to it. Traffic, air pollution, crime etc..

Brian you're still about 20 years away from fitting into a retirement community like Sun City unless you see your health rapidly declining in the next few years. It sounds to me like Tucson would suit you the most. It's a big small town, is about 5 degrees cooler than Phoenix and has a true southwest feel to it. Plus if you want to go to a Suns game or a Diamond Backs game Phoenix is only about a 2hr drive.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:38 PM

20 posts, read 32,488 times
So sorry for your loss Brian.

I agree with a lot that has already been said. I'd like to add that you should check out Wickenburg, Carefree, Paradise Valley and Prescott Valley. I love the cities of Fountain Hills & Cave Creek that have already been mentioned. Best of luck to you and God bless!

Old 05-05-2012, 05:20 PM

81 posts, read 441,249 times
Sorry to hear of your loss. We have a winter home in San Tan Valley, AZ which is about an hour south of Phoenix, 20 min or so from Chandler, Gilbert. It gets unbelievably hot for 5 months out of the year there (110-115)...we too are looking to relocate and AZ is in our sights. Moderator cut: snip

There is NO way I would move to Chandler, Gilbert etc full time. The averages you see on the net are misleading. They have been in a drought for 5 years, and there is no end in sight to the 115 degrees June-Oct (at least this is what I was told by a full time resident there)

Another BIG drawback to that area is dust...it gets everywhere...even in winter. We have been down there 3 winters now, and the area I live in is very unfriendly...not sure if it is cuz most the houses are rentals, or if that is all over. I have met nice people, but usually people I do business with rather than neighbors.

In San Tan Valley there are tons of rental homes (in Skyline Ranch II rentals can be monthly). I'd suggest going down there for a bit in summer to see if you are going to be able to handle it. 5 months couped up in your house seems almost as bad as where I live in summer (Puget Sound) where it is SO rainy and dismal you cannot do much eitherModerator cut: snip. Good luck looking. I am looking too for that "perfect place" where my arthritis doesn't kill me but I am not looking at sage brush and brown all the time. I am having a really hard time finding the right placeModerator cut: snip.

Last edited by Kimballette; 05-05-2012 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 05-05-2012, 05:59 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,740,897 times
Brian, sorry about your loss and hope you settle in out here. I grew up in Orange County NY so I know NE PA very well. Sounds like you like the sun but don't want ridiculous heat from what I have gathered.

I'd say anywhere from 2500 to 5000 feet elevation would suit you well out here so long as there are enough amenities to meet your needs.

Near PHX: New River, Black Canyon City and Superior.

Near TUC: Oro Valley and Oracle.

Never been to Sierra Vista but it does have a large military presence and seems to be growing.

Kingman is decent with moderate temps at 3500 feet and is close enough for a 4 hour drive to the CA beaches or 90 minutes to Vegas.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:23 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,486,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post

Kingman is decent with moderate temps at 3500 feet and is close enough for a 4 hour drive to the CA beaches ...

Eeek. How fast do you drive???

Old 05-05-2012, 07:36 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,740,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

Eeek. How fast do you drive???
I 40 to 15 and veer off at San Bernardino to either go to LA or south towards the SD Beaches. Can cruise at 79 since there is nothing but Barstow for most of the stretch.CA is 70 MPH but everyone pretty much goes 79.

As I say, "nine you are fine, ten you are mine" as far as speeding goes.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:42 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,186,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wldgrdnr View Post
It gets unbelievably hot for 5 months out of the year there (110-115)...There is NO way I would move to Chandler, Gilbert etc full time. The averages you see on the net are misleading. They have been in a drought for 5 years, and there is no end in sight to the 115 degrees June-Oct (at least this is what I was told by a full time resident there)
It most certainly does not reach 110-115 degrees for five months out of the year in the Phoenix metro area. Just because someone tells you something, that does not make it true. And historical, statistical data proves otherwise. I am not talking about average temperatures, but average high temps. Phoenix Weather by Month - Average Monthly Temperatures in Phoenix AZ - Hottest and Coldest Days in Phoenix

I understand this area may not be right for you, but let's stick to actual facts and avoid wild exaggerations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona