U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:06 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,008,247 times

Advertisements

I've heard this and I've heard that about water shortages here in Arizona. Can someone point me to which parts are OK and the parts where shortages may happen? Even links would be OK to clue me in.

I'm talking about rivers, lakes, aquafiers, rain and so on. I know Phoenix is OK for now since we have many sources of water but I'm wondering about Prescott, Benson, Bisbee, Globe, Bullhead, Parker, Kingman, Verde Valley and so on. Tucson has it's own problems so it doesn't interest me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 10:31 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,596,708 times
We're never going to run out of water, it's more likely the water bills will get higher with every new golf course and swimming pool.

The highlands always get tons of snow every winter and the run off fills the reservoirs. Flagstaff gets 100" a year. The Colorado will go dry when it stops snowing in the Rockies.

Worst case scenario water will get shipped in like fuel for winter heating gets shipped into Wisconsin.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:59 PM

9 posts, read 40,667 times
agree with cacto, buy bottled water at walmart. no worries.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:00 AM

20,458 posts, read 25,156,986 times
We have property in J-Six Ranchettes (south side of I-10 at the J-Six/Mescal exit - which is about 10 minutes west of Benson) and based on studies I've heard about our water supply is plentiful and secure. Our water source is the Whetstone Mts just south of us and the aquifer runs north from there under us. Having said that, it's my understanding that just slightly east of us (ie in the San Padro Valley) there are water concerns (the low ridge that runs from the Whetstones north to the Rincons apparently separate 2 distinct aquifers. We are on the west side of that ridge and are fine, but east of that ridge (ie closer to Benson) the situation is a bit less "confortable" in regards to the aquifer - at least that's my understanding.

Green Valley has water quality issues because of the nearby presence of the copper mines. The presence of mines anywhere nearby should always raise - at the very least - YELLOW flags regarding water quality.

Ken

Old 03-26-2012, 07:52 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,008,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
We have property in J-Six Ranchettes (south side of I-10 at the J-Six/Mescal exit - which is about 10 minutes west of Benson) and based on studies I've heard about our water supply is plentiful and secure. Our water source is the Whetstone Mts just south of us and the aquifer runs north from there under us. Having said that, it's my understanding that just slightly east of us (ie in the San Padro Valley) there are water concerns (the low ridge that runs from the Whetstones north to the Rincons apparently separate 2 distinct aquifers. We are on the west side of that ridge and are fine, but east of that ridge (ie closer to Benson) the situation is a bit less "confortable" in regards to the aquifer - at least that's my understanding.

Green Valley has water quality issues because of the nearby presence of the copper mines. The presence of mines anywhere nearby should always raise - at the very least - YELLOW flags regarding water quality.

Ken
Thanks. I forgot about the mine angle. The mines around Globe are starting back up again AND lots of water will be used. Scratch the Globe area then.

Benson sounds iffy too.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:45 PM

593 posts, read 1,359,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
We're never going to run out of water, it's more likely the water bills will get higher with every new golf course and swimming pool.
This is the problem, people think that there will just be an endless supply of water, that somebody, somewhere, will provide. At what point is the importation of water going to be so cost-prohibitive that a cheap house can't make up for it? $1,000/month water bills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Worst case scenario water will get shipped in like fuel for winter heating gets shipped into Wisconsin.
You shouldn't really count on that.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:57 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,359,450 times
You can not sell property in Arizona withot proving a 100 year water supply the last I knew.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:12 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,596,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
This is the problem, people think that there will just be an endless supply of water, that somebody, somewhere, will provide. At what point is the importation of water going to be so cost-prohibitive that a cheap house can't make up for it? $1,000/month water bills?

You shouldn't really count on that.
Yeah, I guess you're right. We'll have no water. The forests on the Rim and in the North will die and snow will never fall there again and life in AZ will be just like Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome, everyone fighting for water reserves, civilization collapsing.

Endless water supply? There will always be water in AZ. Will there be enough for everyone? No.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:05 PM

641 posts, read 2,264,220 times
The Agufir that runs under arizona city, had the best water quality in the state. What did they do? The sold it to California and gave us crappy city water. Figures.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:05 PM

13,749 posts, read 9,152,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
You can not sell property in Arizona withot proving a 100 year water supply the last I knew.
I think that only applies to areas in Phoenix, Tuscon, and Prescott.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona