Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 33,582 times

Advertisements

Need some help with Arizona speeding ticket please:

I live in California. I received the speeding ticket on I-10 and I was told by the officer that I need to be at the court hearing on March 25, 2013. I am not sure whether I can come back for the court hearing next month. Is there a way to avoid this court hearing? (i.e. hiring a lawyer, etc).

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 07:08 PM

570 posts, read 1,001,775 times
Pay the fine through the mail or online, or sign up for traffic school. On your ticket your options to pay or set up court would be listed on it. I assume it was Arizona DPS who pulled you over on I-10, so check out their website for info:

Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS), Arizona Highway Patrol - State of Arizona

Old 02-25-2013, 05:23 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery360 View Post
Is there a way to avoid this court hearing? (i.e. hiring a lawyer, etc).

Thank you.
Yes, doing the speed limit. Why are you californians always in a hurry? You live only once, better take your time.

Just pay it, and I think you can do traffic school on line. That way, you do not get points on your license.
If this is the first time.......

Old 02-25-2013, 05:51 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,983,825 times
You pay it or go to court to fight it (or hope the issuing officer does not show and it gets tossed). That's how traffic tickets work everywhere to my knowledge.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 AM

7,169 posts, read 9,224,263 times
Usually the officer explains that you don't need to go to court. But can pay by mail if you prefer.

Read the paperwork you were given. See if it tells you how to pay by mail. There should be a phone number to call if you have questions. Call it. Ask questions.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 AM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
You may have to appear for felony speeding under Arizona Law. See ARS 28-701 for speeding. You should call and see what your ticket status is. A warrant could be issued for your arrest if you fail to do the correct thing.

Criminal Speeding Citation in Maricopa County?
Free telephonic consultation: 480-600-4DUI (4384)

Arizona Speeding Ticket Defense
Speeding in Arizona falls under two categories:

*Civil speeding violation: 1 to 20 mph over the posted speed limit
**Criminal speeding: 21 mph over the limit or any speed in excess of 85 mph Both offenses are punishable by fines, and pleading guilty adds three points against your driver's license. If you accumulate 8 to 12 points in one year from traffic violations, you may be required to attend MVD Traffic Survival School classes. If you accumulate 13 to 17 points in one year, your license can be suspended for 90 days. If you accumulate 18-23 points in one year, you may receive a suspension of 6 months. If you should accumulate 24 or more points in 3 years, you may receive a one year suspension. Your insurance company can request your driving record at any time and raise your rates for traffic violations.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery360 View Post
Need some help with Arizona speeding ticket please:

I live in California. I received the speeding ticket on I-10 and I was told by the officer that I need to be at the court hearing on March 25, 2013. I am not sure whether I can come back for the court hearing next month. Is there a way to avoid this court hearing? (i.e. hiring a lawyer, etc).

Thank you.
Please, Fiery . . . do NOT rely on advice from non-experts. Contact DPS or the direct number on the citation.

As Nitram has already posted, a citation for over a certain speed may require a court appearance and a payment may not be an option.

Also, not appearing could have negative consequences definitely not worth the risk.

Good Luck

Old 02-25-2013, 04:20 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,331,906 times
This forum is not a place to get any legal advice ...But some speeding tickets do require a personal appearance, with or without an attorney. Failure to show if you were 20mph over the speed limit will most likely get you two things. Arrested and/or your drivers license revoked. Again, ask the DPS, the court, or get an attorney. Don't ask us.

This one you will not be able to blow off.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:43 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,984,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
You may have to appear for felony speeding under Arizona Law. See ARS 28-701 for speeding. You should call and see what your ticket status is. A warrant could be issued for your arrest if you fail to do the correct thing.

Criminal Speeding Citation in Maricopa County?
Free telephonic consultation: 480-600-4DUI (4384)

Arizona Speeding Ticket Defense
Speeding in Arizona falls under two categories:

*Civil speeding violation: 1 to 20 mph over the posted speed limit
**Criminal speeding: 21 mph over the limit or any speed in excess of 85 mph Both offenses are punishable by fines, and pleading guilty adds three points against your driver's license. If you accumulate 8 to 12 points in one year from traffic violations, you may be required to attend MVD Traffic Survival School classes. If you accumulate 13 to 17 points in one year, your license can be suspended for 90 days. If you accumulate 18-23 points in one year, you may receive a suspension of 6 months. If you should accumulate 24 or more points in 3 years, you may receive a one year suspension. Your insurance company can request your driving record at any time and raise your rates for traffic violations.
Criminal speeding, not "felony" speeding. It's a misdemeanor, not a felony.

28-701.02. Excessive speeds; classification
A. A person shall not:
1. Exceed thirty-five miles per hour approaching a school crossing.
2. Exceed the posted speed limit in a business or residential district by more than twenty miles per hour, or if no speed limit is posted, exceed forty-five miles per hour.
3. Exceed eighty-five miles per hour in other locations.
B. A person who violates subsection A of this section is guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor.
C. A person charged with a violation of this section may not be issued a civil complaint for a violation of section 28-701 if the civil complaint alleges a violation arising out of the same circumstances.

Still nothing to sneeze at, though.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:08 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,101 times
Why the hell were doing 90mph? You got what you deserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona