U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:49 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,066,472 times

Advertisements

See, using that site even the older high school in Casa Grande gets a "7" rating as well as a couple of the newer elementary and middle schools - granted not as good as the Chandler districts, but not too bad for the size and demographics of the city (the original population here before the building boom of the 2000s was heavilly lower income hispanic and Native American....with all the building in the last 10 years that has changed somewhat and as such the schools are improving also..).

And as you can see - MOST of the reviews of Legacy Charter are very good - even the not so great still give it 3 stars or more.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 02:23 PM

44 posts, read 127,155 times
I had a look on that site too and it doesn't use a national standard as a benchmark but compares the school in question to other schools in the same state. Like, my kids' current high school (Chesapeake High) is an 8, and that Red Mountain high is a 10...which seems that Red Moutain would be a "better" school than Chesapeake but Red Mountain is not compared to the rest of the schools in MD, but the rest of those in AZ...VERY confusing!! lol. Is there a site with a notional standard benchmark?

Old 08-28-2012, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the lead on Las Sendas. Though not centrally located between Phoenix and Tucson it seems to have more than enough amenities for my family and appears to be in my price range for a rental home to start with.

I've begun researching relocation costs and WOW!! This stuff is expensive! I will obviously need some help and plan to approach the company extending the job offer with that request. For now I'm trying to estimate things as best I can so I know what to ask for. It seems I will most likely be using a PODS service as their pricing is "high" according to my expectation but I know full service movers would be more expensive and I don't think I can make the stretch. I'm using a prospective date of March and the full service companies won't talk much beyond 6 months out. For two 8 x 8 x 16' PODS they want $7300 door to door. I will be liquidating most of my furniture but have a few items I don't want to part with including an 8' drop pocket pool table that I LOVE! Did any of you ship vehicles cross country? I have a diesel pickup, a mustang, a Harley, a 22' boat on a trailer, and possibly a sebring (girlfriend's car) That will need to come along. I figure I'll probably tow the boat with the truck myself allowing limited room in the boat for some belongings.

Another dilemma is my home here in Maryland. I really don't want to sell my home. I don't know whether it's insecurity or good planning but I want someplace to come back to if things don't pan out in AZ. I figure I'll rent it out to cover most of the mortgage cost but won't be able to personally manage a cross country rental property. Has anyone used a nationwide property management firm that might handle my Maryland rental home while also providing assistance in finding a place out there? I also plan to bring the family out for an exploratory vacation this fall before making the final call on the move. I will need accommodations for 2 adults and 3 children for a week. I wonder if a nationwide home rental firm would be able to assist with a house for that trip? Hotels would be pretty expensive x 2 rooms after five airfares and living expenses for a week. Having a kitchen and fridge would help limit dining expenses as well.

How far from Phoenix do you have to go for good elk hunting? Is hunting property expensive? Do folks usually hunt public land or rent hunting rights from private landowners?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm feeling pretty dumb about all this right now and I figure there's some experience lurking around here...

Thanks!!

-BunnMan

Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 AM

131 posts, read 328,158 times
You can try VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner for vacation rentals.. almost always a better deal then going to a hotel.

As far as hunting goes you can drive a few hours north and get into some good stuff. Not to sure about hunting property since most I believe is done on public lands. Arizona Game and Fish Department: azgfd.gov will get you all the answers you need on where you can hunt and how much it costs.

From the hunting regs:

Permits for most big game species, sandhill crane, and pheasant are issued through a hunt drawing. If interested in hunting any of these species, you must apply for a tag in a drawing.

Price is resident and non resident
Combination Hunt and Fish (Class F) $54.00 $225.75
Elk Hunt Permit-tag $121.50 $595.00

Last edited by imartin26; 08-29-2012 at 09:50 AM..

Old 08-29-2012, 09:54 AM

17,873 posts, read 40,935,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitternsparkles View Post
Casa grande was poor advice, IMO...I would check out North Peoria since its near lake pleasant.

The OP wants to be between Phoenix and Tucson. North Peoria doesn't fit, proximity to Lake Pleasant nothwithstanding.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:55 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,588,803 times
I wouldn't suggest using the Great Schools website. I used it when I moved the the Sierra Vista area. It said that our school rated very high and all the reviews were pretty good. However, it was a horrible school. They only rated high because the taught to the test (to the extreme of not allowing the kindergarteners to have recess during test week because it would be too loud).

I went to put in a review, but they wouldn't allow any bad reviews. Honestly. I tried several times, watering it down each time, using more and more balanced words and they wouldn't accept it. So I don't trust them.

The best way to find out about a school is here, where you can get a variety of thoughts.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:12 PM

Well, I booked a trip out with the family. I've got some business in Vegas the week of 10/29 then will be driving down to PHX on Friday 11/2 to pick up my girlfriend, her son, and my two daughters. I was able to secure a rental home in Las Sendas which so far is my preferred spot to land if we make the move. This is the biggest piece of the equation...to see if the family digs AZ.

Thanks for all the guidance folks...I was feeling pretty clueless before I signed up here. Now I'm only half clueless

Old 09-06-2012, 07:20 AM

131 posts, read 328,158 times
Make sure you take advantage of the community pools in Las Sendas if you don't have a pool in your rental. Also just right down the road is Salt River tubing which lots of people like to do, just be careful on the Salt and make sure everyone is a good swimmer Salt River Tubing and Recreation - Arizona's Floating Picnic!. Also depending on when you get here dove season is in full swing and Quail isn't far behind. Enjoy and let us know how everything works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona