Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 03:17 PM

3 posts, read 24,498 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
My wife and I are moving to Arizona in Jan 09. I will be working in Sedona and Flagstaff 2-3times a week, 1 day a week at home, every other week traveling to Navajo Nation (Would spend the night in a hotel there of course). So I have a large area to choose from to live.

An obvious choice is Flagstaff to lessen the commute. However, I dont really like driving around in the snow all the time or living in a really cold area. How bad does the snow get? Are the roads drivable? I have a car not a truck. And the main con is housing costs are expensive.

I also looked at Sedona and it is beautifull and still in a commutable distance to Flag. It isn't as cold, but how bad is 89 during the winter? Can I get to Flag from there in the snow? Cons are expensive housing again and can the wife find a job in the town?

Where else would be a possible choice? Camp Verde/Cottonwood isnt too far but is that commute really driveable 3-4 times a week. Is it around an hour like google maps says or is it longer?

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 07:40 PM

191 posts, read 611,895 times
Take a look at Prescott. Not as much snow as Flag. Reasonable housing prices. Sedona is very expensive housing.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:14 AM

329 posts, read 1,276,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesweetazhome View Post
Take a look at Prescott. Not as much snow as Flag. Reasonable housing prices. Sedona is very expensive housing.
Prescott is beautiful and has a lot to offer but the drive to Sedona is about 1 hour and then it is another 45 minutes or so to Flag. I am not sure that is reasonable.

If the OP can afford it Sedona may be the best choice. His wife would have Sedona, Cottonwood and Flag for potential employment. Housing prices have come way down and continue to decline.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:19 AM

329 posts, read 1,276,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Determined83 View Post
Hello everyone,
My wife and I are moving to Arizona in Jan 09. I will be working in Sedona and Flagstaff 2-3times a week, 1 day a week at home, every other week traveling to Navajo Nation (Would spend the night in a hotel there of course). So I have a large area to choose from to live.

An obvious choice is Flagstaff to lessen the commute. However, I dont really like driving around in the snow all the time or living in a really cold area. How bad does the snow get? Are the roads drivable? I have a car not a truck. And the main con is housing costs are expensive.

I also looked at Sedona and it is beautifull and still in a commutable distance to Flag. It isn't as cold, but how bad is 89 during the winter? Can I get to Flag from there in the snow? Cons are expensive housing again and can the wife find a job in the town?

Where else would be a possible choice? Camp Verde/Cottonwood isnt too far but is that commute really driveable 3-4 times a week. Is it around an hour like google maps says or is it longer?

Any help would be appreciated.
Congrats on your move to Northern Arizona. I really like both Flagstaff and Sedona. Both are beautiful and very different. The drive up the canyon after a snow can be tricky but they are pretty good about getting it plowed in a hurry. It is much colder in Flagstaff during the winter. Cottonwood is a more economical choice than either Flag or Sedona but it does not have the charm of either. It is about 15 miles from Sedona so the drive would be about 20 - 25 minutes depending on where you live in Cottonwood and where you are going in Sedona.

Good luck

Old 11-27-2008, 09:14 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Sedona is about 15 degrees warmer than Flagstaff---------and, apparently, no more expensive to live in these days.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:26 AM

I think Sedona is probably the best choice it looks like. I will be renting for the first 12months most likely. At that point I can probably transfer down to the valley and buy there. I just hate having to pay 1500/mo for rent on a nice house. Wouldnt be an issue if I could sell my place in Cali for some profit but just about all my equity is gone. Thanks for the help everyone. Keep opinions coming if you like though.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:05 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Determined83 View Post
I think Sedona is probably the best choice it looks like. I will be renting for the first 12months most likely. At that point I can probably transfer down to the valley and buy there. I just hate having to pay 1500/mo for rent on a nice house. Wouldnt be an issue if I could sell my place in Cali for some profit but just about all my equity is gone. Thanks for the help everyone. Keep opinions coming if you like though.
If it were me: I would try to locate as close to your primary place of employment (within reason). If you work on the Navajo Rez frequently........Flag would make more sense than commuting all the way from Sedona.

Old 11-27-2008, 11:53 PM

I wont have to go out there more then once every other week. When I do I get paid mileage and hotel stay anyways. I just dont like how cold it gets in flag to live there all the time.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:39 AM

687 posts, read 2,951,897 times
Former Flagstaff resident and drove a route thru Sedona,Cottonwood,Jerome,Prescott and Prescott Valley daily, plus up to Tuba City(Navajo Nation)quite often.....
89 up the canyon from Sedona will be closed for at least part of a day several times a year for snow/ice. No biggies except it will of course always be when you need to commute!
Watch out on I-17 thru the "Munds Park" area, always slippier than the rest of the trip up "the hill" from the Verde Valley.
Sedona is beautiful, lots of tourist and tourist stuff. Most the workers live in Cottonwood area which although not as attractive, has a nice year round climate and all the amenities you would want. I'd pick it over Sedona just for the cost factor.
Navaho Nation....just be careful when driving thru. Pretty reckless at times on those 2 lanes. I found it beautiful but oh so depressing, couldn't wait to get away a distance.
Flagstaff weather....if your car is front wheel drive and has good all season radials, you'll be fine about 95% of the winter. I always worried as much about hitting an Elk than winter roads. Some winters see very little snow, other times you can get a royal dumping! Roads are generally open, they may close the interstate a couple times a year. You just enjoy and stay home! Yes, housing is absurd, no way around it.
Prescott/Prescott Valley...more affordable. Windy in the valley year round. Traffic is bad in Prescott itself, heavy in the valley. Commute options would be over the hill thru Jerome, not something you would like in the winter if snowy. Another would be down thru Mayer to I-17 or across on Cherry Road. Again, a commute and frankly, you could live on the far north end of the Phoenix metro area and get to Sedona about as quick. Except of course when they close I-17 northbound for a accident.
That's the stupid part about getting to northern Arizona from Phoenix...your only option is I-17, period.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:55 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
There is a pretty big difference in climate between Sedona and Flagstaff, with Sedona being much warmer. However, having to drive up to Flagstaff when it has snowed could be treacherous. I think I'd rather be in Flagstaff on those days, rather than being out on the highway. And I don't think Hwy 89 up through Oak Creek Canyon with the twists and turns up the mountain would be much fun, especially if it was even a little bit icy.

As far as home prices - I think Flagstaff is a little cheaper than Sedona if you're buying. I do know that rent in Flagstaff is high, mainly because of the high demand due to the college students.

Some had mentioned Prescott/Prescott Valley. Housing is cheaper here, especially rent, but I think the drive to the res would make it too far away to be a viable option. Camp Verde would put you right on I-17. It probably wouldn't take much longer to drive to Flagstaff from there than from Sedona. It would definitely be the cheapest place to rent or buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona