Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 07:02 PM

21 posts, read 53,233 times

Advertisements

We're interesting in moving to AZ and have been researching cities and areas for quite some time. We're hopeful to visit this summer, but would like to narrow down at least a few specific areas to check out while we're there.

We have a few necessities, and some desires to consider.

1. Healthcare - We HAVE to have good healthcare! Especially specialized in Neurology and Rheumatology.

2. Education - I don't mind driving if needed for open enrollment, but I want my daughter to get a good education. I keep reading that AZ is super low (if not last) on expenditures per student, however, greatschools seems to rank many schools very high still.

3. Open land, smaller town - Love the "western ranch" feel, and would preferably like a small town where we could purchase a home with many acres for my family (and future horses) to live.

4. NO WATER HAUL! We use lots of water, have a large family, and LOVE pools/waterslides/hose fights/etc. I never even knew what water haul was until today, but it appears to mean you have to haul your own water to your house? And then preserve it so you don't run out??? WTH? No thanks!

Desires:

1. We'd really like to be close to the CA border, for quicker day trips to the ocean. We also love the look of Lake Havasu and would love to be able to enjoy the water quite often.

2. We'd like a place that doesn't get to a miserable heat in summer. I don't really know what a MISERABLE heat for me would be though... since it's a dry heat. Maybe anything below 100-105? I lived in CO for awhile (10 years ago), but I don't really remember how the dry heat was vs humid heat that we have now in WI. Being near water, or having a pool, would also take care a lot of this issue... so it's LESS of a concern as other things.

3. High speed internet and Cable/Satellite TV (directv?) - We'd like to have both of these available, but could possibly settle for less than super fast high speed if it was required (but no "dial-up only" areas please!)

We really love the looks (looking online only) of Lake Havasu, but it sounds to not have very good schools or healthcare? And apparently gets extremely congested during the summer, weekends, and school breaks? I wouldn't mind it busy, but I would mind it if it's SO busy that WE can't even enjoy the lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 07:41 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,496,566 times
I think Havasu is only really congested at spring break. Summers are VERY hot, unless you are out on the lake. Not the best choice for health care or schools. The health care options are better in the larger cities, and you have more options in terms of schools as well.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 AM

Thank you. It looks like my best healthcare option is the phoenix/scottsdale area... are you familiar with anywhere within an hour west/northwest of there that would match what I'm looking for? It's hard to try and mapquest it all. It looks like Wittmann and Wickenburg would be options, any others?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:57 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,496,566 times
You won't find the schools you are looking for in Wittmann or Wickenburg. And, it's a relatively long drive to medical, I don't know how close you want to be. Buckeye, somewhat the same as Wittman, although somewhat better schools, especially with open enrollment, might be found near enough to there. Other posters have been looking for the same thing-- it's not easy to find small town life together with things that are only found in larger cities.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You won't find the schools you are looking for in Wittmann or Wickenburg. And, it's a relatively long drive to medical, I don't know how close you want to be. Buckeye, somewhat the same as Wittman, although somewhat better schools, especially with open enrollment, might be found near enough to there. Other posters have been looking for the same thing-- it's not easy to find small town life together with things that are only found in larger cities.

I was looking at Buckeye actually, as well as Surprise. Are there generally homes for sale with acreage (2+) in these areas?

I'm okay with an hour drive to medical clinics/major medical, and looking at probably using Mayo Clinic. However, I would prefer SOME sort of hospital or emergency care within a safe distance...I'm terrified of my daughter getting a venomous snake bite and being far from help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona