Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 PM

57 posts, read 173,354 times

Advertisements

Has/will Chloride Open pit copper mining affect the Golden Valley well water supply. I suppose the answer has to be yes, but would like some qualified input and would like to know what measures have/must be taken to preserve the quality......
Is there any future legislation proposed to safeguard Arizonas drinking water?
At least there shouldn't be any agriculeral interference (for the time being). Thanx much for any input, Chuck

Last edited by cdidaho; 10-17-2012 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 05:09 PM

16 posts, read 78,829 times
The mines were there first according to the State of Arizona and they have more rights than the homeowners as far as water. There is currently a 36" pipeline just starting by the Central Arizona Project to bring Colorado River water from 10 Miles North of Green Valley. The theory is it will be pumped in ponds above ground and seep into the water supply replenishing the diminishing aquifer. It remains to be seen if this works or not since it isn't in place yet. The mines are paying the cost of this project.

As far as the pollution goes it's already in the water supply. Worse in some areas than others. Information is scarce about the water situation for obvious reasons. They don't want anyone to know about it. My experience is people there don't want to know they are in denial apparently. They all swear the water is good but the independent tests show different.

Do a Google Search on Green Valley sustainable water supply.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:18 PM

I am aware of the Green Valley situation........... That's what keyed the query on Golden Valley (just out of Kingman) that has a fairly large open pit mine in the Cerbat foothills just NW of Golden Valley. Chuck

Old 10-24-2012, 02:50 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
You can give up all the things in your home with copper (cell phone, TV, Computer, Car, etc), or you can fight the mine. It is essential, and if you chose to live where this valuable resource is, you will need to live with the issues.

It is irrelivent to me as I never drink City, Well, etc. water unless I am dying. All my drinking water comes from Distilled, Filtered, or out of area sources. At .02 to .25 cents per gallon I avoid the nasties and a garden, lawn, or laundry, doesn't care all that much what is in the well or city system's water.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:51 PM

I believe that our water aquifers are among our most valuable resources and if I had a choice between my TV and good quality water I would choose the water. Now my stereo might be a little more difficult.

I think the world would function fairly well without copper but I would shudder to think of us all drinking bottled water. I think the price would soon exceed that of petrol!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 AM

Copper mines do not exist in most of the country. Would you ask the whole country to give up everything electric or electronic just so the relitively small population near a mine does not have to buy bottled water?

And that is a small population that moved to where the mine was to get cheep land. The mine didn't move next to them. At least not this one.

And your comment about giving it all up does not ring true. You're using a computer right now.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:41 PM

Didn't know the mine even existed.......still don't know if it will effect Golden Valley's water source. My fault? Bottom line is partly although if the water table was, for sure, going to be contaminated it should and probably would have been a real estate disclosure responsibility. I didn't ask the initial question to find out how dumb I am, already knew that........just would like to know if it is iminent. Would I give up my computer for life to save an aquifer........of course I would and never look back. I'm 75 and lived a lot of years without computers and iPods and don't like either one, but that's another topic and I really don't like these shoot outs. I'll just try a different approach of research. Chuck

Old 10-26-2012, 11:01 AM

It is not likely the main aquifer will be harmed if it was not already.

And yes, I had a "Water Plant Operator 1" License in the state of Arizona. Got it at Central Arizona College when I owned a well that served more than four people between Maricopa and Casa Grande.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:40 PM

Thanx much, Steve. Chuck

Old 10-28-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdidaho View Post
Thanx much, Steve. Chuck
Also test your water yearly. The state will give you the container and instructions. They used to do the test for free. Don't know about now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona