Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:19 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times

Advertisements

Without going to a court and requesting physical copies of cases, is there an online way? The az judge score keeping card system is bogus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 02:25 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
I don't know what level of court you are asking about, but I am aware of no court case database in the state where you can search by judge.

I'm also not sure what you mean by the "az judge score keeping card system is bogus". Care to explain?

Old 10-22-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I don't know what level of court you are asking about, but I am aware of no court case database in the state where you can search by judge.

I'm also not sure what you mean by the "az judge score keeping card system is bogus". Care to explain?
I am referring to supreme and superior. The score card system can be found here..

Arizona Commission on Judicial Performance Review > Home

I've found a lot of info about out of state superior and supreme judges, but not AZ.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:40 PM

I don't know what having information gleaned from specific cases would give you--it's not as if there's something you could look up about a case that would help you decide whether a judge should be retained or not. Litigants and others involved in specific cases are sent surveys to fill out regarding the judge(s) involved in their case. Those surveys ask some general questions that get some feedback on various issues that impact a judge's performance of his or her job. That's how the group in your link above gets their info.

What sort of info did you find on judges in other states?

Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I don't know what having information gleaned from specific cases would give you--it's not as if there's something you could look up about a case that would help you decide whether a judge should be retained or not. Litigants and others involved in specific cases are sent surveys to fill out regarding the judge(s) involved in their case. Those surveys ask some general questions that get some feedback on various issues that impact a judge's performance of his or her job. That's how the group in your link above gets their info.

What sort of info did you find on judges in other states?
The point is AZ does not have any cases online for public records. Case closed. Pun intended.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
The point is AZ does not have any cases online for public records. Case closed. Pun intended.
Well, it depends on what you mean by "cases online". What exactly do you want to see? Again, what are you able to see from other states, and is it "searchable by judge"? There are appellate decisions online, minute entries (which set forth the decisions in many cases, as well as other rulings during the processing of a case) in Superior Court cases online. No, they aren't searchable by judge, but even if they were, I'm not sure what would be gained by reading them, in terms of evaluating whether a certain judge should be retained, given the time that would be consumed in doing that for each judge standing for retention. You can't fully evaluate how someone functions as a judge in the courtroom by reading a decision, and transcripts or recordings of state court proceedings are highly unlikely to be available online in any state.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:37 PM

603 posts, read 945,897 times
Well, there's PACER. It'll cost you a few quarters for online copies of case files. http://www.pacer.gov/

The AZ Supreme Court has their opinions online. Search Opinions

AZcourts.gov has online access to some public court records, but I don't think you can search by judge.

EDIT: If you start using PACER, do yourself a favor and download the Firefox add-on RECAP (pacer backwards). It stores copies of PACER case files on a public server so you won't have to pay for repeated queries.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
Well, there's PACER. It'll cost you a few quarters for online copies of case files. Public Access to Court Electronic Records

The AZ Supreme Court has their opinions online. Search Opinions

AZcourts.gov has online access to some public court records, but I don't think you can search by judge.

EDIT: If you start using PACER, do yourself a favor and download the Firefox add-on RECAP (pacer backwards). It stores copies of PACER case files on a public server so you won't have to pay for repeated queries.
I knew someone would know. Thank you stephen.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:14 AM

PACER is for federal court only, I thought you were asking about state "supreme and superior" judges or I would have mentioned it. The Arizona Court of Appeals, like the Supreme Court, has their opinions online, as I already stated, but they aren't searchable by judge. www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov is the county court website for this county, each county superior court has its own, but what's available on them varies. Again, not generally searchable by judge.

I hope you find whatever it is you are looking for.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:54 AM

3 posts, read 9,922 times
Go to AZ Maricopa superior court website and click on court docket or public docket, then if you type in the name of the person(s) whose cases/case you are interested in and click get case history, search etc. you will have access to case details, minute entries, etc. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: