Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 11:08 AM

82 posts, read 118,943 times

Advertisements

We're spending our first winter season here in Yuma. We're currently renting in a 55+ RV park and not sure this type living arrangement is right for us. We've started looking into the possibility of purchasing another home in the Foothills Mobile Estates (development name) which is very close to the Las Barrancas golf courses. Unlike some of these multi-use lot developments around the area, those in this one mostly have nice, well kept, site built and/or modular homes.

We'd like to hear from those who own property in this area and what you think about it. Trying to get a sense of crime issues, local municipality or utilities problems, etc. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 04:23 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
As you have no doubt discovered, the Foothills population at this time of year is large, traffic is unpleasant to say the least, crowds in Fry's or restaurants can be aggravating, but if you are looking for a fulltime place to live, you can find something to suit you in the Foothills. Summer Foothills population is perfect, no lines, no traffic, but some businesses do close due to lack of snowbird patrons....so be aware. Foothills lot prices have decreased substantially from recent highs, so it's a good time to look. The Foothills did have sewage issues several years ago, not sure how that was resolved....research carefully.

Like you, we started in an RV park, and lasted one month before migrating to a Foothills private lot rental. We enjoyed that for a year or two and ended up looking for something more permanent, so we purchased an old adobe home, with room for RV's out in the North Gila valley....and stayed there 'till the lure of grandchildren grew too strong.

For us, crime was non-existent, we enjoyed the fresh/cheap produce/fruit, the weather, the hiking, the access to the river and Mexico. We found the local government went to extremes to welcome snowbirds, and I can even speak highly of the county building officials....not something often repeated. Our time in Yuma was great, hope you enjoy yours.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-29-2018, 03:50 PM

306 posts, read 336,276 times
I live in the foothills year round. I own a home toward the south end of the inhabited part of the foothills. Crime is not a big issue. That said, I've heard that part-time residences are targeted for burglary occasionally during the summer. I don't think it's a huge problem, more crimes of opportunity. Some basic security measures go a long way I think.
There is a rift between the local private water/sewer company and longtime residents. Rates were increased exponentially a few years back. I don't think they are out of line. They hadn't been raised in years/decades. The water quality is poor. I use a RO system for drinking water and a softener for the hardness. Pretty standard for desert living I think. There is also occasional odor from the wastewater treatment facility. Stay away from the immediate area of that facility (it's on Foothills Blvd around 40th St or thereabouts. I live about 12 "blocks" away and it's not really an issue. I like the area because it's a snowbird haven (I'm not one). Properties tend to be taken care of and houses aren't "overstuffed" with more people than usual. A rule of thumb: The further south you go, the nicer the properties.

Yuma offers a lot of recreation and excellent weather in the winter. I characterize it as 6 months of beautiful weather and 6 months of awful. I moved here approx 4 years ago from MI. I'll take the heat of summer here over the winter in MI.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:20 AM

After further looking and research, it appears the later developed sections are all on Far West Water & Sewer; the older developments to the north on septic. Pros and cons to that, but after speaking with locals, the system upgrades following the rate hikes are providing good service. With the possibility that sewer connection could be mandated in the future, at least that one time cost, not to mention all the construction mess, would be already paid for. Spoke with the County Sheriffs about crime and they echo what is stated above. Thus far, the area seems to offer more of what we're looking for in a 4-5 month winter refuge from Montana winter. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:54 AM

Default Yuma Foothills

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint8ball View Post
I live in the foothills year round. I own a home toward the south end of the inhabited part of the foothills. Crime is not a big issue. That said, I've heard that part-time residences are targeted for burglary occasionally during the summer. I don't think it's a huge problem, more crimes of opportunity. Some basic security measures go a long way I think.
There is a rift between the local private water/sewer company and longtime residents. Rates were increased exponentially a few years back. I don't think they are out of line. They hadn't been raised in years/decades. The water quality is poor. I use a RO system for drinking water and a softener for the hardness. Pretty standard for desert living I think. There is also occasional odor from the wastewater treatment facility. Stay away from the immediate area of that facility (it's on Foothills Blvd around 40th St or thereabouts. I live about 12 "blocks" away and it's not really an issue. I like the area because it's a snowbird haven (I'm not one). Properties tend to be taken care of and houses aren't "overstuffed" with more people than usual. A rule of thumb: The further south you go, the nicer the properties.

Yuma offers a lot of recreation and excellent weather in the winter. I characterize it as 6 months of beautiful weather and 6 months of awful. I moved here approx 4 years ago from MI. I'll take the heat of summer here over the winter in MI.
Good info. Thanks for the reply. We ended up buying a park model at Las Quintas Oasis, so we'll be able to begin the search for a place out in the Foothill Mobile Estates area again this next season. Still watching Zillow and other sites, but it seems not as many folks list properties during the summer/fall season. We did look around the greater Phoenix area last winter and just found it too busy as well as more expensive for golf, real estate, restaurants, etc. We've not yet looked around Tucson and the Green Valley to the south, but thus far, Yuma seems to fit the best. We met a couple of folks who, like you, have moved permanent from cold weather locations and say the same thing - prefer the heat period to the cold period. Did you consider any other AZ locations (i.e. Oro Valley/Prescott?) which are a bit milder summers?

Old 08-16-2018, 03:34 PM

306 posts, read 336,276 times
Yuma is where I was able to get a job offer (I'm in my 40's). That's what put us here as opposed to other areas of the southwestern US (which was our target). As we speak, we're purchasing a cabin in Prescott. Very excited for that. Especially this time of year!

More to your point, I would absolutely live in Prescott (or other higher elevation locations) year round if I could. That said, my wife is cold blooded so she loves Yuma.

Last edited by flint8ball; 08-16-2018 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona