Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,535 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are planning a "winter trip" to the USA. Arriving in Las Vegas the end of January. Our plan is to visit some of Utah's NP's and the North Rim. However is this a good idea in January/February? We travel with a small motorhome. If it is, please suggestions are welcome. We like to film and take pictures.
Thanks
Marco
The Netherlands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 01:32 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
the North Rim is closed to the public in the winter....sorry.....too much snow to keep the road open

but the South Rim is open all year....

Grand Canyon National Park - Grand Canyon National Park

if you can manage an "advanced search" here on city-data, there are many threads about the Grand Canyon.... or ask what you'd like....

Old 11-27-2012, 01:45 PM

I just found out myself that it's closed during the winter time. I did visit the south part about 5 times so this time we will stay more days in LV or Utah before we go to Death Valley, Sequoia and Yosemite NP.
Thanks for your input - suggestions always very welcome.
Marco
The Netherlands

Old 11-27-2012, 03:33 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
The south rim in winter is one of my favorite times. I have been to the north rim in a Tucker Snow Cat. You don't want to go there.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 AM

219 posts, read 506,791 times
Not sure if they are closed or not but Zion and Bryce will definitely have a lot of snow in January. Even if they are not closed I would not recommend hiking in either of the two parks during winter due to the fact that many of the trails in both parks skirt the edge of canyon walls and have 200' to 300' drop offs. When we were hiking in Zion last March we were on a trail that had a short section that was roughly 3 feet wide and had a 400' sheer drop off. There were even cautionary signs on some of the trails listing the number of people that had fallen to their death over the years. Zion, Bryce and The Grand Canyon are all best visited during the spring, summer and fall.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:05 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,643 times
Is Yosemite open in winter? I thought Tioga Pass closed in Oct. I rode my motorcycle to Mammoth Lakes in November once and thought I would freeze to death.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:33 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times
Yosemite is open in the winter via the other entrances. Tioga Pass has already closed for the winter. But you cannot access a large part of Yosemite in the winter from the valley floor. Touloume meadows and the high country is not accessible due to snow.

Also, I frequently hike in Zion and Brice in January and February and there is usually little snow. There was almost none last year, for instance. Some years, of course, will have more. The Observation point hike in Zion is excellent, 8 miles RT with a 2,000 elevation gain. Moderate. There is usually ice at the beginning, but zak-trax or microspikes remedies that.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,438 times
The North Rim in Jan/Feb. Usually a couple feet of snowpack.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:01 PM

Thank all,
So no North Rim in winter possible. However we still like to shoot great winter pics. Arriving end Jan. in Vegas, 4 days later pick-up motorhome for 3,5 weeks, drop of in San Francisco and back home to The Netherlands.

Anybody with good suggestions where to go? We are not planning to walk for hours and/or clime mountains.

Thanks.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM

284 posts, read 700,847 times
Post your question on Trip Advisor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona