Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2012, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,298 times

Advertisements

I am a 18 year old girl thinking about making the GREAT MOVE to arizona. i am scared but i know this is the right move. I was born in Texas and live in michigan. I hate it here. I am planning on moving in may... I have saved up money but im not sure what to do. i am going to be a softmore in college but if necessary to make it out in az, i will take a short break in school. Ive never lived on my own, and i need to make sure that this will work out bc if it doesnt... i wont have anywhere else to go so please, If there is any information anyone has, id be greatful to hear it! whether its about az, picking the right area/city to move in, what areas to avoid or even moving in general. thank you for your time!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 07:00 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Jobs will be in metro Phx and Tucson, much harder to find work in the smaller cities. Good community college system in Phoenix area. That said, make sure you have a big enough financial cushion to survive here if you don't get a job right away. The high turnover jobs that are easiest to get also don't pay well, so your budget may be quite tight. You may need to have a roommate to make it work.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:37 AM

205 posts, read 572,846 times
If you have any questions regarding your move and where to look for work, let me know. I am a Michigan Native, with a couple houses in Arizona. I will be making the move west this year finally (permanently). Although my frequent flier miles are doing good! Anyways, I am currently in Michigan just outside of Detroit. I am 28 years old, so a little older than you but can still relate to some things about work and schooling.

Observer has it right, make sure you have a good cushion, and thats not $2500 its more like $10,000 or more. Money will go fast during a move and finding a new place. The cost of living in Phoenix will most likely be higher than where you are currently at in Michigan (not 100% on that because I am not sure what city you live in now). If you dont have much stuff to move and can do it in one trip then the move will be cheap. But bills, fuel, rent etc... it ads up extra quick when there is no incoming money. I can help give you some insight to what the cities are like, the cost of living etc... As can most of the people on here. Very very knowledgeable people on this website and take their advice (most of them anyways lol). I just know the Michigan to AZ transition very very well.

Good luck!

Old 12-17-2012, 01:29 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,342,906 times
I also was born in Michigan (Adrian).

At 18 you need to worry more about who you know in Arizona. Do you have family or a friends base there. Remember it not only cost money to move to Arizona, it cost just as much or more to Move out.

At 18 you do not know what you don't know yet, but Arizona will teach you real quick. My opinion is "Not a good idea".

Ask yourself "Would I move to downtown Detroit?". If the answer is no, than stay where you are.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:46 PM

205 posts, read 572,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I also was born in Michigan (Adrian).

At 18 you need to worry more about who you know in Arizona. Do you have family or a friends base there. Remember it not only cost money to move to Arizona, it cost just as much or more to Move out.

At 18 you do not know what you don't know yet, but Arizona will teach you real quick. My opinion is "Not a good idea".

Ask yourself "Would I move to downtown Detroit?". If the answer is no, than stay where you are.
As much as I agree with this post, I also disagree to an extent. The advice is good, but you also don't want to step on peoples on dreams too hard.

I disagree about needing to know someone, I bought a house in Arizona when I was 19 while living in Michigan, then 8 years later I bought a second home there. When I visit there (sometimes weeks at a time, sometime months) I love being away from everyone and not knowing a soul (although I do know people there sooo... lol). But Steve you are absolutely right Arizona will teach you real quick, but some people can handle it and survive the move without failure. But the cost of giving up family and friends locally can be a hardship real quick, although females tend to adapt to the "independent" thing a lot faster than males do and are usually quick to move out at an early age.

Home sickness is something you surely cannot talk the talk about until you walk the walk. I know many people who wanted to be Mr or MS Individual and failed miserably due to no friends, family or contacts at their new location. There are also exceptions to rule. Home sickness is definitely something you need to experience for yourself to be able to know what and how you will feel. If you make a move 2000 miles away and decide a few months down the road you want to move back, you have lots of expenses, possibly a job to lose etc...

Lots to think about OP. But Good Luck!

BTW, Steve, my post was in no way a bash to yours, I do agree with you! Just simply stating the some can persevere!

Old 12-19-2012, 12:21 PM

2,851 posts, read 4,525,026 times
I moved to AZ in 1992 to attend college, from Northern CA. I knew no one. I had no job or a place to live. My parents moved me down there. We found an apt for me to live in, they left. I went to school, found a job & made friends. I was 20. Follow your dreams. You won't know if it was the wrong move until you try.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:52 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,342,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfOnABoat View Post
... ... BTW, Steve, my post was in no way a bash to yours, I do agree with you! Just simply stating the some can persevere!
Never took it any other way my friend.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:49 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,933 times
Why Arizona?

From what I've observed, stopping school is a not-so-great idea. Get your degree. No one can take it away from you. But postponing education makes it harder to pick it back up again later.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:52 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,227,678 times
I wouldn't leave until I finished school and, in the meanwhile, I'd be socking away every penny I could. With a degree in hand you'll be far more marketable to employers and you'll have that much more of a financial cushion to get you through a relocation. (It's not just rent, security and utilities you will need, you probably need a car which is insurance, maintenance, gasoline, and unexpected repair bills. You'll need some type of furniture - at least something to sleep on, bedding, towels, pots and pans, utensils, etc. What about cell phone bills? Internet access? All these things add up quickly, especially when you're starting from scratch and going it alone. You will also have to cover basic things, such as: do you have a co-pay on your insurance, if you have to see a doctor? What about medicine you may need, if you get sick?) You'll also be able to narrow areas down better, when you know where the jobs may be for whatever your degree will be in.

Whatever you decide, the best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona