Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:23 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Criminal speeding, not "felony" speeding. It's a misdemeanor, not a felony.
I stand corrected but an attorney explained the following can lead to a felony.
It is possible to get a felony involving (but not specifically for) speeding. For starters, driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol at high speeds will always result in a DUI/DWI, reckless driving, and possibly reckless endangerment. Likewise, swerving in and out of traffic at high speeds can result in reckless driving charges. Hitting someone at a high rate of speed can result in reckless driving and vehicular manslaughter if the person dies. Of course, there are many other situations that would turn misdemeanor speeding into felony (insert crime here) "involving speeding at a high rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,986,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
It is possible to get a felony involving (but not specifically for) speeding. For starters, driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol at high speeds will always result in a DUI/DWI, reckless driving, and possibly reckless endangerment. Likewise, swerving in and out of traffic at high speeds can result in reckless driving charges. Hitting someone at a high rate of speed can result in reckless driving and vehicular manslaughter if the person dies. Of course, there are many other situations that would turn misdemeanor speeding into felony (insert crime here) "involving speeding at a high rate
I wasn't trying to correct you, I actually thought it was just a mistaken use of the word.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:50 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Still not a place to get or GIVE legal advice.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:41 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,205,921 times
...but a good place to get straight up advice and find out public opinion. Thanks to some of our less fortunate forumites, I have learned a few good lessons about speeding and traffic laws in Arizona .

Old 02-26-2013, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 33,587 times
Thank you everyone. I think nitram gave me the information I needed.

Quote:
You may have to appear for felony speeding under Arizona Law. See ARS 28-701 for speeding. You should call and see what your ticket status is. A warrant could be issued for your arrest if you fail to do the correct thing.

Criminal Speeding Citation in Maricopa County?
Free telephonic consultation: 480-600-4DUI (4384)

Arizona Speeding Ticket Defense
Speeding in Arizona falls under two categories:

*Civil speeding violation: 1 to 20 mph over the posted speed limit
**Criminal speeding: 21 mph over the limit or any speed in excess of 85 mph Both offenses are punishable by fines, and pleading guilty adds three points against your driver's license. If you accumulate 8 to 12 points in one year from traffic violations, you may be required to attend MVD Traffic Survival School classes. If you accumulate 13 to 17 points in one year, your license can be suspended for 90 days. If you accumulate 18-23 points in one year, you may receive a suspension of 6 months. If you should accumulate 24 or more points in 3 years, you may receive a one year suspension. Your insurance company can request your driving record at any time and raise your rates for traffic violations.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:51 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Just be way of clarification (not correction ) the term 'reckless has a specific meaning under Arizona law:

"Recklessly" means, with respect to a result or to a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense, that a person is aware of and consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the result will occur or that the circumstance exists.

The risk must be of such nature and degree that disregard of such risk constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a reasonable person would observe in the situation. A person who creates such a risk but who is unaware of such risk solely by reason of voluntary intoxication also acts recklessly with respect to such risk.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,941 times
I have received 3 civil traffic speeding citations within the last year and already attended traffic school. I just received a criminal traffic speeding ticket. I have to go to court in Oro Valley AZ. What am I facing as far as fines and keeping my driver license. Am I in big trouble? If so, How?

Old 06-10-2013, 10:26 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crissyb72! View Post
I have received 3 civil traffic speeding citations within the last year and already attended traffic school. I just received a criminal traffic speeding ticket. I have to go to court in Oro Valley AZ. What am I facing as far as fines and keeping my driver license. Am I in big trouble? If so, How?

As stated earlier in this thread this is NOT the place to get ANY LEGAL advice. Seek the guidance of an attorney who is proficient in traffic law.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:38 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,161,310 times
Quote:
Quote:
**Criminal speeding: 21 mph over the limit or any speed in excess of 85 mph...punishable by fines, and pleading guilty adds three points against your driver's license. If you accumulate 8 to 12 points in one year from traffic violations, you may be required to attend MVD Traffic Survival School classes. If you accumulate 13 to 17 points in one year, your license can be suspended for 90 days. If you accumulate 18-23 points in one year, you may receive a suspension of 6 months. If you should accumulate 24 or more points in 3 years, you may receive a one year suspension. Your insurance company can request your driving record at any time and raise your rates for traffic violations.
First, you need an attorney. Secondly, a person who's received three civil and one criminal speeding tickets in one year is in big trouble, and deserves to be. You should really consider using public transportation - you're a hazard to others on the road. Finally, the consequences were listed earlier in this thread. I pasted them again here.

Last edited by observer53; 06-11-2013 at 01:01 AM..

Old 06-11-2013, 02:08 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:

I think it is time you quit driving. I haven't had that many tickets is 40+ years of driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona